BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
jagooch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Question GMAIL, IMAP, and BIS - How Do I know its using IMAP?

Please Login to Remove!

When I add GMAIL to my BIS account ( AT&T Hosted ), it just asks for my username and password, and quickly adds my GMAIL account. However, I don't know if is accessing my GMAIL account using POP3 or IMAP. Is there a way to tell? If its using IMAP, will I see folders on my Blackberry messenger to let me file email away as I can using Outlook's IMAP functionality?

Inquiring minds want to know, and Google + forum search is failing to find any answers.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagooch View Post
When I add GMAIL to my BIS account ( AT&T Hosted ), it just asks for my username and password, and quickly adds my GMAIL account. However, I don't know if is accessing my GMAIL account using POP3 or IMAP. Is there a way to tell? If its using IMAP, will I see folders on my Blackberry messenger to let me file email away as I can using Outlook's IMAP functionality?

Inquiring minds want to know, and Google + forum search is failing to find any answers.
Using auto-setup for Gmail and hosted google domains use POP access in the BIS (although google has a special setup w/RIM for push email). TO setup IMAP you need to just input your email address at the account setup screen WITHOUT any password. It will then take you to a manual setup. For gmail IMAP the mail server is imap.gmail.com

You will not see any remote folders using IMAP and email delivery is polled - meaning 1-15 minutes.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagooch View Post

The way you setup in your BB is for the push email. At least, it is how it works with my TMO BIS.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
jagooch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Exclamation Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Using auto-setup for Gmail and hosted google domains use POP access in the BIS (although google has a special setup w/RIM for push email). TO setup IMAP you need to just input your email address at the account setup screen WITHOUT any password. It will then take you to a manual setup. For gmail IMAP the mail server is imap.gmail.com

You will not see any remote folders using IMAP and email delivery is polled - meaning 1-15 minutes.
Thanks for clarifying this. So, potentially BIS could sync folders since via IMAP it can access them. However, it does not have that functionality. I really don't want to have to run my own domain/BES server like I used to, so I will just wait it out until BIS comes around.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

BIS at this time, even with IMAP, does not support remote folders with the exception of Sent Items (email sent from the BB is stored in this file) and Deleted Items (deleted items on the BB are stores there). BES is the only real way remote folders work.
Closed Thread