John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post
The phone has tmobile hotspot preprogrammed into the phone when you go to starbucks your phone will switch to uma! and asks you for a log in and pass word! What I am saying is if you order the talk for ever plan you are not gonna get a log in and password! If you order the hotspot plan you will! Meaning some people will think that if they get the talkforever plan for 9.99 that they will be able to use the internet at there leisure as I did! The hot spot at home old name you could do that get internet and hotspot and calls at home for 19.99 they are not just changing the name an lowering the price! Dont assume I have not done and research of my own!

I don't think this is the case. I don't have ANY H@H plan (I pay nothing on my plan for it) and I can go to Starbucks and use wifi/UMA all day long.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #22
DiabloZoe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I don't think this is the case. I don't have ANY H@H plan (I pay nothing on my plan for it) and I can go to Starbucks and use wifi/UMA all day long.
when you go to starbucks does it come up with the hot spot? or do you go and just pull up your browser? When I go to starbucks and my phone switches to uma/wifi the first screen that come up is the a login/password screen? Is it just coming up with this so I can make calls using uma and it has nothing to do with browsing?

Last edited by DiabloZoe; 02-11-2008 at 10:37 PM..
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

When I go to Starbucks I don't do anything. It comes up UMA within a 30 seconds or so and all works over UMA. I've not ever seen a login screen.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
DiabloZoe
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did not have any access to wifi so the first place I went to was starbucks and as soon as the wifi picked up the connection (which was already programmed into my phone under hotspot) it came up with a login and password! And I think this all has to do with being able to make calls and not get charged i.e. the hotspot plan?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #25
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I have an 8320. I do NOT have any kind of H@H plan. I am at DFW (one big TMobile Hotspot.) When I opened my laptop to connect it wanted a login and password (I don't have one.)

I just looked at my BB and I have a nice strong UMA. I can make phone calls, and I can use my browser. Currently, I have my laptop tethered to my UMA connected 8320 and all is working fiiiine!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #26
markbb99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
I did not have any access to wifi so the first place I went to was starbucks and as soon as the wifi picked up the connection (which was already programmed into my phone under hotspot) it came up with a login and password! And I think this all has to do with being able to make calls and not get charged i.e. the hotspot plan?
Are you using the wifi browser, internet browser or t-zones? Using the wifi browser will give you the Hotspot login - the other two won't.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #27
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

Using UMA at home and wherever else possible has allowed me to decrease my billed minutes in half. It works and the economics work for me.

I am currently in Germany and using UMA alot with no issues and no bills. It all counts as "no-charge" as long as it is on UMA.

You do need the H@H plan to get UMA and it has been worth it for me.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
markbb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppeljr View Post
You do need the H@H plan to get UMA and it has been worth it for me.
No you don't! You only need the H@H add on to get UNLIMITED US calls - otherwise they come out of your minutes or other buckets such as My Faves, nights/weekends, etc.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I don't know why everyone thinks you need H@H in order to get UMA.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #30
DiabloZoe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I don't know why everyone thinks you need H@H in order to get UMA.
John what does UMA provide? I have a wireless router in my home and when it hooks up I get the UMA where edge used to be! I can browse while its on but as for phone calls it still uses my minutes?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #31
John Clark
BBF Moderator

When your device says UMA your calls are going via your wifi through the TMobile network. UMA just means that you connect to the wireless cell system via your wifi internet connection instead of the local cell tower.

If you have TMobile and a WiFi/UMA capable phone you can use UMA for phone calls. The H@H plan (renamed Talk Forever) gives you unlimited minutes over the UMA connection.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #32
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have H@H for 9.99 (the promo offer). I was curious about how you are using UMA for laptop access at DFW. Did you connect and then use it like a standard teathered modem or did you have to do something different?

Jester
Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #33
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

BTW, you do not need a new plan to use UMA. You need the H@H add on if you want to use it for free. Otherwise it comes out of your minutes. I helped my best friend set his up because he has terrible cell signal at his house from any carrier. Now, his calls are all UMA from home but he still looses minutes during peak times. My calls from his house are free because I have H@H.

Jester
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #34
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I just tethered as normal. It just worked.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #35
DiabloZoe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
When your device says UMA your calls are going via your wifi through the TMobile network. UMA just means that you connect to the wireless cell system via your wifi internet connection instead of the local cell tower.

If you have TMobile and a WiFi/UMA capable phone you can use UMA for phone calls. The H@H plan (renamed Talk Forever) gives you unlimited minutes over the UMA connection.
So basically if your signal is no good in your house and you have a wifi connection you can make calls using UMA and have a strong signal? Still using your minutes? Which is a fair trade because there is nothing more agonizing the dropping a call in the middle!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #36
malikmazhars

Model: 9700

I am curious to find out how much it costs to make international calls using H@H.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #37
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
So basically if your signal is no good in your house and you have a wifi connection you can make calls using UMA and have a strong signal? Still using your minutes? Which is a fair trade because there is nothing more agonizing the dropping a call in the middle!
Is this a question? Seems like I have explained this a bazillion times.

TMo 8320 = UMA (no need for H@H, or data plan.)
H@H (renamed Talk Forever) adds unlimited minutes using UMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikmazhars
I am curious to find out how much it costs to make international calls using H@H.
If you are travelling internationally and use UMA to call back to the US there is no charge. If you are travelling internationally and use UMA to call to an international number (you're in London and you call to the coffee shop next door) you will get charged for an international call.

When on UMA it is as if your phone is calling from the US and you will be billed accordingly.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #38
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

This is such a cool thing to find out today.

I just got my T-Mo 8320 today and I am leaving for a 3 weeks trip to New Zealand on the 12th of March. I am psyched to think I can call back to my wife in the states just by connecting to a wi-fi spot!!!

Cool

The 8320 was worth the $50 and 24month contract then!!!

Last edited by cameron.personal; 02-15-2008 at 01:15 AM..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #39
DiabloZoe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Is this a question? Seems like I have explained this a bazillion times.

TMo 8320 = UMA (no need for H@H, or data plan.)
H@H (renamed Talk Forever) adds unlimited minutes using UMA.

If you are travelling internationally and use UMA to call back to the US there is no charge. If you are travelling internationally and use UMA to call to an international number (you're in London and you call to the coffee shop next door) you will get charged for an international call.

When on UMA it is as if your phone is calling from the US and you will be billed accordingly.
UMA is an acronym for Unlicensed Mobile Access which is an access technology that allows subscribers to switch between fixed and mobile networks, without dropping a phone call.

UMA enables subscribers to switch between a Wide Area Cellular Network (WAN) to a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN). This delivers high-performance, low-cost mobile voice, data and IMS services to subscribers over the broadband Wi-Fi access networks, dramatically increasing mobile service usage and decreases the costs for operators. It uses Bluetooth or 802.11 for wireless connections in your home or office.

UMA is part of the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Program.)

Forgive me for not understanding! All I can make of this is if im using UMA im not getting charged? Or do I have to add the talk forever plan and then I don't get charged? My phone will hook up to a place and it wont show UMA but I can still get on the net its just hooked up WIFI?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #40
markbb99

Quote:
Forgive me for not understanding! All I can make of this is if im using UMA im not getting charged? Or do I have to add the talk forever plan and then I don't get charged? My phone will hook up to a place and it wont show UMA but I can still get on the net its just hooked up WIFI?
You've asked this question at least twice in this thread - how many times do you need to be given the same answer?
Closed Thread