Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
loki993

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 9650 Signal Loss when Charging

Please Login to Remove!

I have a problem with my phone. I only get 2 or 3 bars in my house and at work at the most. When I plug my phone in to charge it everything is fine until about 90 percent charged. After that for all intents and purposes I lose signal completely. Sometimes it will just show no bars, most other times it will got into searching for CDMA and then no service. It does not change when the battery is fully charged either. The only thing that fixes it is unplugging the device. It doesn't matter what outlet its plugged into. Ive also tried it at work and home and I get the same results. It does not do it if its plugged into the computer charging on USB, but it does charge a lot slower.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is this an issue that others are experiencing as well? do you think this a software issue or is it faulty hardware?

Carrier is Verizon

Phone is Bold 9650

Os is .732

Only apps I run are weatherbug

available memory is 307.7 MB
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Normally the AC charger does not interfere with the BB but yours may be defective. The radiation from the charger( not normal) may be affecting the signal and it is possible depending on the charger, itxxx8217;s shutting down thinking the battery is fully charged. If possible borrow one or simply replace it.

Welcome to the Forums
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Have you tried charging from a different location?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
loki993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Normally the AC charger does not interfere with the BB but yours may be defective. The radiation from the charger( not normal) may be affecting the signal and it is possible depending on the charger, it’s shutting down thinking the battery is fully charged. If possible borrow one or simply replace it.

Welcome to the Forums
I have 2 different chargers, they both do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Have you tried charging from a different location?
Yes Ive tried it at home and at work. Multiple outlets at work and at home and multiple rooms, I lose signal in all of them. The only time to doesn't do it is when its charging off of USB.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Signal strength is a bit flaky on this device.. I'd wait for a future OS Release.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
loki993

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Signal strength is a bit flaky on this device.. I'd wait for a future OS Release.
So you think its a software thing? Im fine with that if it is, I just want to make sure its not a hardware issue, because this a replacement phone and only have 90 day warranty.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

If it's a hardware then it also effecting mine as well as many other, who have posted similar issues on this forum. Which is possible they did replace parts in the Storm2 months after its initial launch.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
loki993

Well now here's another thing it does too. If I try to talk on it when its charging it will loose signal, no matter what charge level its at.

I really hope they know about this and get it resolved, its quite annoying.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
JADesign

Model: 8830

I too have had this problem. It doesn't matter where I charge the phone. When I look at connections I found instead of Verizon, the phone was attempting to connect to AT&T. Today it took a new twist, the battery would not charge. I tried 2 different chargers and my PC, but it took a battery pull before it would start charging.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
TheManny

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
I have a problem with my phone. I only get 2 or 3 bars in my house and at work at the most. When I plug my phone in to charge it everything is fine until about 90 percent charged. After that for all intents and purposes I lose signal completely. Sometimes it will just show no bars, most other times it will got into searching for CDMA and then no service. It does not change when the battery is fully charged either. The only thing that fixes it is unplugging the device. It doesn't matter what outlet its plugged into. Ive also tried it at work and home and I get the same results. It does not do it if its plugged into the computer charging on USB, but it does charge a lot slower.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is this an issue that others are experiencing as well? do you think this a software issue or is it faulty hardware?

Carrier is Verizon

Phone is Bold 9650

Os is .732

Mine is doing the same thing... my signal strength(s) drop like a brick when the phone is plugged in (doesn't seem to matter where, at home, in the office, in the car). And there are times while it's plugged in, if i try to make a call, the call fails, but once I unplug it, it works like a charm.

Any progress with figuring out what's wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone (a definite step up from the Storm/Storm 2 IMO) and if I can figure out what's causing this little problem (be it hardware or software), all will be right with the world.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
adamant118
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon
Default Re: 9650 Signal Loss when Charging

mine also ..i loose signal at home but when i am at work it reads SOS
Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #12
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z30
PIN: 3353CF0C
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post

Carrier is Verizon

Phone is Bold 9650

Os is .732

VZW newest OS 5 release is 5.0.0.975. You should update to the newest OS, it fixed a few bugs, including memory card errors after a reboot.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

The 6.0 Beta builds have been fairly stable. You may want to consider that option

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread