Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
DevonJon

Model: 10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: voda
Default decryption issue - pictures

Please Login to Remove!

I have a newish BB Classic with BB10 OS.

I took some photo's earlier at a special family event not having carry room for my camera.

I came home booted up the BB desktop software opened up file manager and copied the photos to my computer. All was well and as I'd done before with my previous older BB Bold. Indeed so comfortably well I opted to delete the copies on the phone (stupid mistake).

I then found I could not open the pictures. The Windows 10 photo viewer just says 'we could not open this file'. I've tried PS, and every other type of viewer on pc and no luck.

The files (10 of them) do show as jpegs on computers explorer and do have a range of sizes. I suspect encryption might be issue (its a work issued BB and they have set the policy that SD cards are encrypted - no choice) and the BB camera is set to save direct to SD.

Now I say its an encryption issue but after some googling have to say the file names do not have 'rem' in them eg of one is IMG_20150802_152753.jpg.

I copied the pictures back (using the BB desktop software) onto same BB classic phone and tried both phone memory and SD card and none of them will open. I can see them in the phones file manager , but the picture viewer can't and when I click on them they don't open.

I've tried changing file name but doesn't work.

I wondered if the deleted originals (deleted from file manager in BB Blend desktop software) were stashed in some hidden delete / recycle bin. But can't see any such.

The files did full copy across when I moved them using Blend to desktop.

I will be desperately sad to have lost these. Made worse by fact they are staring at me 'looking normal' on my computer.

Can anyone suggest anything ?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: decryption issue - pictures

Use Link to copy them back to the BB. they are encrypted and once you have them back on the BB try emailing them to yourself on a non - BB email address or one you can get to from a pc such as Yahoo or google.
What your going to try is open a folder that has the photos in the PC then using Link or if the BB is USB connected and you see the folders, copy the photos back to the photo folder on the BB.

Media files that are already on the device at the time Media Card Encryption is enabled will not be encrypted. Only newly saved media files will be encrypted. Additionally, media files that are encrypted when Media Card Encryption is disabled will remain encrypted.

Encrypted media files can only be viewed on the device. When viewed on the computer while the device is connected via USB, it will show a .rem extension (such as filename.jpg.rem). Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones is able to transfer media to an encrypted media card and decrypt media when the file is transferred back to a computer. This will remove the .rem extension on the transferred file and allow it to be accessed by the computer. The copy on the media card remains encrypted.

If all data and applications have been deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone and Media Card Encryption was set to Device Key, the BlackBerry smartphone will no longer be able to access encrypted files. The following error message will appear:

Unable to display file filename.jpg.rem
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
DevonJon

Model: 10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: voda

Thanks for reply.

Sorry but whats Link ? I have the BB desktop software and BB blend. Indeed I have tried through those to place the photo's back on the BB. I can move them back but the BB won't open them. So I have an increasingly sinking feeling they've gone. So frustrating as to look at as files they are showing as jpegs with variety of sizes and no sign of 'rem'.

Its such a pain I had some lovely family snaps in particular of my daughter. I'd take fair blame if I'd done something wrong but all I did was open BB blend > file manager and drag them onto my desktop. There was no error message and no warning about the consequences and they'd all moved completely.

I've since tried every viewer or analyser I can get hands on via net to no avail.

Can I ask is encryption the same but unique to a device? I say that as shortly afterwards and for no obvious reason the BB flagged a message saying my policy owner (work) requires SD card to be encrypted. Now I'd already seen that ages before and assumed the SD card was already encrypted. SO I just wondered if a further encryption would set a different key to that when the photos were taken?

And last one. As I said previous there is no 'rem' in the file title and no obvious message or likes coming up saying they are encrypted. Is there any other way of telling if that's the issue or if the Blend software seems to have corrupted them. Perhaps I should approach BB direct though doubt speed or answer will be useful.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Encryption is based on the phone. Desktop Manager if that's what your using is for older BB's . Blackberry Link is the same type application but designed to work with OS10 devices.

My suggestion is to connect the BB to the PC and it should be seen as a new drive on the PC. That will allow you to copy back the photos from the PC to the BB and from there send them via email to an email address you can use on the PC. the photos should no longer be encrypted on the PC.

the link below offers more info.

Once your able to get the photos to the PC clean it might be a good idea to remove the encryption option going forward but as you said the company requires encryption so try to move them back .

KB12999-How to encrypt files on an installed media card in the BlackBerry smartphone

IT policy

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Last edited by tsac; 08-04-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Closed Thread