Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Pros and Cons of the new PlayBook

Please Login to Remove!

After getting some degree of use from my new PlayBook, there are some unexpected pros and cons. Here are some of mine.

Pro -
The HDMI output was a splendid experience. My HD TV isn't web enabled, nor is it bluetooth enabled so I just get to watch cable and video games. But through my PlayBook, I can view the internet (youtube & such) and emails, Need for Speed, pictures, videos, and everything that I can see on my PB display. But that presentation mode is phenomenal using the split screen which displays the back end of the PowerPoint on my PlayBook and the presentation on the big screen. I can even show a video on the TV while playing a game on the PB unit.

Pairing is fantastic. Viewing emails and calendar events on the PlayBook is a pleasure. I'm starting to see a benefit however, in using it only for viewing purposes and using my Torch for functionality. As I'm starting to realize, my phone still receives pushed emails and get the alerts so it becomes clearer that having that on both devices is just redundant with no benefit. Even if you don't a BlackBerry and you have say gmail as your internet provider, your phone can still alert you with the emails and should you need to check, simply go on gmail.

Speed - I must say that I'm very impressed with how responsive this thing is. Swipe it, and it MOVES. Play an app and there's no choppiness. I like a lot.

CONS
I realize that I'm kind of used to combining the trackpad with the touchscreen experience of my cell phone. I miss it on the PlayBook. Often times I want to select something without engaging or opening it. So I'll use the track pad to select and delete it.

The Keyboard. 1 - The alt button and the shift button are opposite between my two devices. This is often confusing and slows my input down. 2 - it would be of the perfect size to thumb-type except the the "t", the "v", and the "g" keys are a tad bit too far causing me to make noticeable reaches that I'm not used to. Perhaps this'll change with more use.

In some places like the bridged email views, I can't select text or engage a link. This stops me from responding to an email in that mode big time. I suppose this is an easy update to fix so I hope to see on the next update.

Anyway this is my very limited experience with the Playbook so far.

What are your pros and cons?

Last edited by TonyTone; 04-20-2011 at 12:19 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default Re: Pros and Cons of the new PlayBook

Pros
  • Love the size
  • Love the size (did I mention that already?)
  • Browser is awesome - can even do FB Chat (not that I use it, but iPad can't do that)
  • Since I connected my BB via the Bridge, the PlayBook picked up my saved WiFi profiles. Sort of freaked me out when I got home and the PlayBook was already connected to the home WiFi and I didn't have to enter the password....very cool feature
  • Love the swiping to move from screen to screen and multi-task.
  • Have already added several movies to watch when I'm traveling to/from Orlando to BlackBerry World.
  • Downloading apps in App World is easier on the PlayBook since the device is always logged into App World (on the BB you always have to enter your password). Makes me wonder what happens if/when your BB ID password changes....hmmm..
  • Battery life has been great this full 2nd day. And love that I can tap the battery icon and it shows how much is left.
  • Camera and video is pretty nice
  • Has copy and paste

Cons
  • Not a lot of apps, but I expected that. I don't use hardly any apps anyway on my iPad, so this is not really a big deal.
  • Had some issues yesterday with the Bridge reconnecting to my device. Seems to be ok today, though.
  • Wish the Browser (not the Bridge Browser) used the same typing shortcuts that the BB does (like first letter capitalize, period after 2 spaces, etc). I does work in the Bridged apps, but no others. Hopefully that's coming.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

CON - no universal search
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

I see that as a pro...I find it annoying.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
The HDMI output was a splendid experience.
HDMI output? So you could plug in a screen, pair a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and work on it like it was a desktop computer? I wonder how much work could be done on this device that we currently use a laptop for.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
HDMI output? So you could plug in a screen, pair a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and work on it like it was a desktop computer? I wonder how much work could be done on this device that we currently use a laptop for.
You're missing the point.

Quote:
But that presentation mode is phenomenal using the split screen which displays the back end of the PowerPoint on my PlayBook and the presentation on the big screen. I can even show a video on the TV while playing a game on the PB unit.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Pros:

QNX;
Speed and smoothness;
Quality cameras;
Size;
Overall ease of use;
Terrific word processing;
Browser!;
Flash and native pdf;
Keyboard (landscape or portrait, it just works better with this form-factor; and
Bridge

Cons:

Limited Bridge functions:
Inconsistent swipe functions;
No universal search;
No native email, BBM, TXT or Telenav;
Limited apps; and
Idiotic initial carrier support

Most of these cons seem temporary and should be addressed through wireless upgrades. I wonder if we will be able to load beta releases (at our own risk, of course) to the OS, as we have done with the handheld releases. With the later models and more recent "unofficial" leaks, they have generally been true upgrades with only peripheral bugs, well worth the time and risk.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
HDMI output? So you could plug in a screen, pair a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and work on it like it was a desktop computer?
Yes, you can. For video, check:

- CrackBerry Video

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcpher View Post
Pros:

QNX;
Speed and smoothness;
Quality cameras;
Size;
Overall ease of use;
Terrific word processing;
Browser!;
Flash and native pdf;
Keyboard (landscape or portrait, it just works better with this form-factor; and
Bridge

Cons:

Limited Bridge functions:
Inconsistent swipe functions;
No universal search;
No native email, BBM, TXT or Telenav;
Limited apps; and
Idiotic initial carrier support
Well said (I don't care about the Universal Search myself, but it is missing). No applications is a killer for me. Limited is being too kind. Not to have Amazon and some global news organizations lined up for launch was not a great plan. I'm sure the CBC app is nice, but CNN, BBC, FoxNews, etc. would be nicer. Citrix too...
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

FYI that since part of RIM's beta testers, I'm adding this stuff to the beta discussion boards for them to read, too.