BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #41
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Construction companies with BB's are very rare, most have nextels.

The Kyocera and Treo 300 are great phones, just a little old and not up to date. There is no reason a clam can't be made to work well. Take a look at some of the Nokias offered overseas. The calculator form factor is pretty nasty and a clam would be welcomed by many.

BB would loose customers if they offered camera phones? Please!! Who said all phones would have to have it anyways?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #42
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

i cant believe this crap where people want a phone feature on a BB..
you just dont get it..
for those of us who do let me make a distinction here..
we see the bb as a tool vs. a novelty item
we see the bb as a platform for email and messaging and phone function as a bonus
we blv that if we have a tool that focuses on functionality that we can get away from the cutesy-pie novelty type items,etc, like camera as an example.

nokia and motoroal have that covered and rim/bb also is trying to capture some of that market with the 7100..

for those of us who use the bb message functionality as the prime on our device we really dont want to be bothered with the phone or other novelty items..

we are willing to concede the majority of the phone market to the effeminate type who need the vanity pieces..thats ok..

we also prefer you stay out of our bb space..

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices
Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #43
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevergreen
Couldn't RIM make a camera berry and a non camera berry?
no. The reason why blackberries are allowed is by looking at them, a security guard will see the "RIM" or "blackberry" on them. Anything else looking even slightly phone like without that isn't allowed. Its about ease of enforcement of the no cameraphone rules.

One agency, it had to be an agency issued blackberry. They were all marked in some way so they knew they were approved.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #44
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost
BB would loose customers if they offered camera phones? Please!! Who said all phones would have to have it anyways?
See above post.. and the one above it. If you want a camera phone, get a sidekick.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Um I have 35 guys that work for me yes they have nextels and all are 7520 blackberrys. Three other firms I have worked for totalling 900 ppl all have blackberry 7520s.

I am seeing more and more of my trades electricians and plumbers all carring BBs and all are powered by nextel. My nextel rep says 90% of her customer base is construction related in Atlanta and they are all either in the process of buying or are looking into buying Blackberrys. She says she has 72 accounts

Quote:
Construction companies with BB's are very rare, most have nextels.

The Kyocera and Treo 300 are great phones, just a little old and not up to date. There is no reason a clam can't be made to work well. Take a look at some of the Nokias offered overseas. The calculator form factor is pretty nasty and a clam would be welcomed by many.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #46
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchrismullins
i cant believe this crap where people want a phone feature on a BB..
you just dont get it..
for those of us who do let me make a distinction here..
we see the bb as a tool vs. a novelty item
we see the bb as a platform for email and messaging and phone function as a bonus
we blv that if we have a tool that focuses on functionality that we can get away from the cutesy-pie novelty type items,etc, like camera as an example.

nokia and motoroal have that covered and rim/bb also is trying to capture some of that market with the 7100..

for those of us who use the bb message functionality as the prime on our device we really dont want to be bothered with the phone or other novelty items..

we are willing to concede the majority of the phone market to the effeminate type who need the vanity pieces..thats ok..

we also prefer you stay out of our bb space..
You obviously don't get it. Is a camera not a tool? I work on CT machines in hospitals. My employer will not pay for a camera (or they'd have to do it for all of us), and I don't always carry my personal camera with me. My treo with a camera is a savior. The camera is a nice tool, not a novelty.

Have you ever had to send a picture immediately? I can take a pic and send it with my phone to another. There have been a couple emergencies where I have had to do this. I rarely have internet access at my sites so I cannot use a digital camera and then send with my laptop.

This is not your space, add a camera. The market share will increase, not decrease.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:46 PM   #47
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Um I have 35 guys that work for me yes they have nextels and all are 7520 blackberrys. Three other firms I have worked for totalling 900 ppl all have blackberry 7520s.

I am seeing more and more of my trades electricians and plumbers all carring BBs and all are powered by nextel. My nextel rep says 90% of her customer base is construction related in Atlanta and they are all either in the process of buying or are looking into buying Blackberrys. She says she has 72 accounts
Cool. How are they holding up? Most of the nextels phones are real brutes. I haven't seen the BB for nextel to see what it is like.

I'm not battling you with this question, but why do they need a BB. I could see it if they are a foreman but why does someone swinging a hammer need a BB?

Kokosing (one of the largest construction and excavating companies in the country) use Nextel, they are based just right up the road from me. They do not use BB's. It would be worthless to give a BB to a guy running an trackhoe.

Thanks for edumacating me....
Jared
Old 10-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #48
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
This is not your space, add a camera. The market share will increase, not decrease.
They would lose numerous government contracts. One agency I worked for had tens of thousands of blackberries. that's partially why bluetooth on backberries is "cripples" and only does headsets. It was a requirement for some agencies that there was no way anyone could connect with them and pull data off, despite all the people complaining about not being able to sync wirelessly.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #49
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
You obviously don't get it. Is a camera not a tool? I work on CT machines in hospitals. My employer will not pay for a camera (or they'd have to do it for all of us), and I don't always carry my personal camera with me. My treo with a camera is a savior. The camera is a nice tool, not a novelty.

Have you ever had to send a picture immediately? I can take a pic and send it with my phone to another. There have been a couple emergencies where I have had to do this. I rarely have internet access at my sites so I cannot use a digital camera and then send with my laptop.

So you're telling me that you work on CT machines, in that cut throat business where there is no money to be made because of those incredibly tight margins you guys run.... what 2 or 3000%... and that you boss won't splurge a hundred bucks for a digital camera?

You're also saying that even though you can send pictures with your treo, you can't tether it to a laptop for an internet connection? You should provide a list of the hospitals you do work at, because if your company is too cheap to spend a few hun on the proper tools you need to fix the machine, I don't think I want to trust that machine.

Do you think the few thousand customers who are not buying a blackberry because it doesn't have a camera are worth the hundreds of thousands of users that would be force to stop using their blackberry because it doesn't have government certification anymore? I think not.

I am glad you are happy with your treo... how's it holding up... I tell you what... let's both drop our devices, you can pick the height and let's see whos makes out better. My 7290 vs. your treo... bet ya won't... I would drop my BB next to a treo anyday... but hey... we already know what the result will be...

cd.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #50
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
So you're telling me that you work on CT machines, in that cut throat business where there is no money to be made because of those incredibly tight margins you guys run.... what 2 or 3000%... and that you boss won't splurge a hundred bucks for a digital camera?
Do you work in the medical imaging industry? I never said managers make much sense. I can get other things that cost hundreds. We seem to have the biggest trouble with items that could taken advantage of by being purchased for home use.

Quote:
You're also saying that even though you can send pictures with your treo, you can't tether it to a laptop for an internet connection? You should provide a list of the hospitals you do work at, because if your company is too cheap to spend a few hun on the proper tools you need to fix the machine, I don't think I want to trust that machine.
That is correct. I haven't tried in the last couple months but currently when I tried there was no way to use it as a modem. Do you seriously think you make any sense? What is it you do?

Quote:
Do you think the few thousand customers who are not buying a blackberry because it doesn't have a camera are worth the hundreds of thousands of users that would be force to stop using their blackberry because it doesn't have government certification anymore? I think not.
Hundreds of thousands of users would not stop using blackberries. Make two versions, one with and one without. That simple. You can't stop on a dime and change the entire infrastruction that the government is using. The BB would not be eliminated by them.

Quote:
I am glad you are happy with your treo... how's it holding up... I tell you what... let's both drop our devices, you can pick the height and let's see whos makes out better. My 7290 vs. your treo... bet ya won't... I would drop my BB next to a treo anyday... but hey... we already know what the result will be...

cd.
You are hilarious. Could you exagerate any more?? I didn't think so.

I never did say I was happy with my treo. I've unfortunately dropped my treo many times. It is yet to break, I just dislike the many scratches I've put on the case because of its rough life. I'll gladly drop my treo next to your 7290 any day.

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not a BB hater. I never said my Treo was better. All devices have their downfall. I'm being forced to the BB no matter what. I was just piping in with my opinion that a camera is not a novelty and tool. If the BB is so great, why not add yet another tool?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #51
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of users would not stop using blackberries. Make two versions, one with and one without. That simple. You can't stop on a dime and change the entire infrastruction that the government is using. The BB would not be eliminated by them.
BB would be eliminated by some agencies, for reasons of national security. Right now, in some agencies, if you have anything other than a blackberry on your belt, you have to check it in a locker. If a blackberry was ever made with a camera, they wouldn't be allowed in. The security guards don't have the time/knowledge to check to verify a particular model doesn't have a camera or not. Thats why most high security areas now ban all cell phones, not just camera phones.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #52
Dawg
No longer Registered.

None of my people swing a hammer for a living but we do drive equipment occasionally and every now and again we have to get our hands dirty. In the year that we have been using them we have only replaced mine. That was due partyly to me it stopped vibrating after i took it apart to mod it. We use them for scheduling email instant messaging and of course the main function Direct Connect. I am seeing more and more folks on my job sites with a BB on the hip too.
Quote:
Cool. How are they holding up? Most of the nextels phones are real brutes. I haven't seen the BB for nextel to see what it is like.

I'm not battling you with this question, but why do they need a BB. I could see it if they are a foreman but why does someone swinging a hammer need a BB?

Kokosing (one of the largest construction and excavating companies in the country) use Nextel, they are based just right up the road from me. They do not use BB's. It would be worthless to give a BB to a guy running an trackhoe.

Thanks for edumacating me....
Jared
Old 10-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #53
corey@12mile

Quote:
Do you work in the medical imaging industry? I never said managers make much sense. I can get other things that cost hundreds. We seem to have the biggest trouble with items that could taken advantage of by being purchased for home use.

That is correct. I haven't tried in the last couple months but currently when I tried there was no way to use it as a modem. Do you seriously think you make any sense? What is it you do?

I never did say I was happy with my treo. I've unfortunately dropped my treo many times. It is yet to break, I just dislike the many scratches I've put on the case because of its rough life. I'll gladly drop my treo next to your 7290 any day.

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not a BB hater. I never said my Treo was better. All devices have their downfall. I'm being forced to the BB no matter what. I was just piping in with my opinion that a camera is not a novelty and tool. If the BB is so great, why not add yet another tool?

Thanks
Ummmm no... I don't work in the medical imaging field... but I have worked for some medical companies... everyone is making money... lots of money, in any medical field.

And yes... hundreds of thousands of users would stop using their blackberry's. Maybe you should get your head out of the ground, and listen to all the people who have/do work for the US Gov't and are all saying the same thing, the thing that we all know very well... if a blackberry gets a camera, the US Gov't will not allow them into the buildings any more... Why do people still argue about this? The US Gov't alone has an insanely huge amount of blackberry's...

I work in the general technology field... or at least that's what I would consider it... I have a full time ride with a wee little construction company as the manager of IT. I also so freelance application development, including some mobile apps... I have another little side project hosting some webstuff, and some email stuff and some bes stuff and some good stuff... and then I do a little bit of consulting for some of the municipal gov'ts around the area that I live in... all this mixed with friday night poker, motorcycle racing and a wife and 3 kids makes life pretty busy.

I was not exagerating a single bit about the dropping part... I deal with blackberry's and treo every single day... we have probably 3600 maybe 3700 blackberry's out there that I am responsible for, speaking in terms of bes... we have 25ish treos... we have replaced more treos that we have blackberry's even though there is a ratio of like 150 to 1... you tell me what that means... You may have had some luck with yours, but you only see things from you perspective, take off the blinders, look at the industry a whole.

Back to the camera part... if you have taken pics with the treo, and it really was that important that they be taken right away, it should be more than enough justification to even the tightest manager as a good reason to pick one up.

cd.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #54
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Why do people still argue about this? The US Gov't alone has an insanely huge amount of blackberry's...
They want a camera so bad and are convinced millions of people will buy one if a camera is added.

The other thing to remember is its not up to the individual user if they get to use a blackberry, or continue to use a blackberry, in most situations. Its up to the managers/owners of the business. If the Govm't says no blackberries, they'll be turned off within a business day and returned to the various carriers.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #55
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
None of my people swing a hammer for a living but we do drive equipment occasionally and every now and again we have to get our hands dirty. In the year that we have been using them we have only replaced mine. That was due partyly to me it stopped vibrating after i took it apart to mod it. We use them for scheduling email instant messaging and of course the main function Direct Connect. I am seeing more and more folks on my job sites with a BB on the hip too.
Do the general laborers use BBs? I am so amazed at how many people at my company are bucking the movement to BBs. Our industry is one of the most technologically advanced yet most of my fellow engineers don't want anything to do with a BB.

Jared
Old 10-14-2005, 08:35 PM   #56
Dawg
No longer Registered.

general laborers dont even have phones
Old 10-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #57
No Longer Registered.

Ever wonder why BB 7520 comes with desktop cradle?

I turn off my standby screen thereby anytime and everytime I am working at my desk and put my BB on the cradle, it shows my msgs, incoming and/or missed calls in my Messages box. Think about it if BB's are flip(pies)? You see your led flashing red and you needing to flip it open just to check what you received? Not a good idea.

I think the calculator comment is soo funny. Very true, it is not the prettiest phone in the world, but I would rather have a bb than anything. And if they would put a camera? I'll protest!!!

Old 10-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #58
ILoveAlliO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

Quote:

Thanks

I was a Treo user too... but corey@12mile's comments about it were on the button. The treo felt flimsy... almost like it would break in a drop. The camera... well... frankly... it sucked. it is most definitely NOTHING compared to the Blackberry.

Secondly.. There are MILLIONS of ways to use your Treo as a modem. If you havent figured ONE way out... well i dont think you deserve to have that device. If you havent learned to use it to its maximum ability... ****ing throw it in the garbage... cause you dont deserve it.

Sure... camera's are FUN. but what the hell? why take pictures with a VGA camera when you can invest in an eight megapixel for three hundred bucks. Are you saying that you purchased the treo because of the fact that it has a camera? Well... you wasted your money. The the only thing the treo can do best... is hang up your calls for you... especially when you dont want it to. AND... its bluetooth capability sucks because Palm hasnt been able to perfect it yet.

Treo this... treo that... it was great when it came out with the new form factor with the 600... but come on... its a palm pilot with an phone incorperated with it and a qwerty keyboard. Retrieving e-mails is a PAIN IN THE ASS with the treo.

You've wasted your money... and your time by arguing about how necessary it is for RIM to make a blackberry with a camera. Good job.

One thing that I admire about RIM is how they havent fallen into the craze... of having a camera incorperated with the phone. I pray to God that they dont come out with a blackberry with a camera. that'll make me puke.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:31 AM   #59
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveAlliO
I was a Treo user too... but corey@12mile's comments about it were on the button. The treo felt flimsy... almost like it would break in a drop. The camera... well... frankly... it sucked. it is most definitely NOTHING compared to the Blackberry.

Secondly.. There are MILLIONS of ways to use your Treo as a modem. If you havent figured ONE way out... well i dont think you deserve to have that device. If you havent learned to use it to its maximum ability... ****ing throw it in the garbage... cause you dont deserve it.

Sure... camera's are FUN. but what the hell? why take pictures with a VGA camera when you can invest in an eight megapixel for three hundred bucks. Are you saying that you purchased the treo because of the fact that it has a camera? Well... you wasted your money. The the only thing the treo can do best... is hang up your calls for you... especially when you dont want it to. AND... its bluetooth capability sucks because Palm hasnt been able to perfect it yet.

Treo this... treo that... it was great when it came out with the new form factor with the 600... but come on... its a palm pilot with an phone incorperated with it and a qwerty keyboard. Retrieving e-mails is a PAIN IN THE ASS with the treo.

You've wasted your money... and your time by arguing about how necessary it is for RIM to make a blackberry with a camera. Good job.

One thing that I admire about RIM is how they havent fallen into the craze... of having a camera incorperated with the phone. I pray to God that they dont come out with a blackberry with a camera. that'll make me puke.
I'd like to know what Treo you had as my 600 is a very solid feeling device. Not flimsy in any way.

I guess I don't remember saying I purchased the Treo for its camera nor did I ever say it was better than a BB. I love these IDIOTS who try to put words in you mouth!!!

I got my Treo when it first came out and tried the modem thing. It was impossible at the time. Verizon had it so the Treo cannot be used as a pass-through. If it was possible, I'd figure it out. I just haven't tried in about a year.

I can't imagine how you screwed up your Treo to get it to hang up on you. It is actually very reliable. My Treo 600 doesn't have bluetooth so I can't speak for that.

I don't see anywhere in my posts where I stated how BB HAD to get a camera or that my Treo is better. I simply stated that there is no reason no to include one for those who want one. I'm getting a BB camera or not. It is not a deal breaker. Just no reason not to make one with it.

I keep in touch with my previous employer as I still have a lot of friends there. I worked there for 10 years and was in IT. While looking at all phones, they decided on the Treo 650. Point being, BB does not work best for everyone. They are not the fix-all and a lot people think they are far too proprietary. We are one of the most technologically advanced compaines and you should see my fellow coworkers. They hate the fact that they are being forced to get a BB. If BB only made a clamshell so they could offer a better form factor it would be better received.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #60
corey@12mile

Quote:
Do the general laborers use BBs? I am so amazed at how many people at my company are bucking the movement to BBs. Our industry is one of the most technologically advanced yet most of my fellow engineers don't want anything to do with a BB.

Jared
General labourers carry treo's.
Closed Thread