BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
EWRI6884

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Smart
Default Not sure how to title this...Constant network draw???

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

My fiancee just got a UNLOCKED ATT 8310 curve which she is using overseas. There they use cards to LOAD their minutes and there is no "MEDIA PLAN" so to speak...use it, it burns more load.

My question is...under normal circumstances with other phones, her load will no diminish when not in use as long as she isnt logged onto the internet or tranferring data (pics, videos ect...). But with her new BB 8310, it seems she will lose her load while the phone sits "apparently" idle.

Well...she figured out by turning something off it wont kill her load but......now she cant receive MMS text messages, if i send a pic, she cant send it until its turned on. What a pain! I am sure its just something we are doing wrong or that is different from the Nokia N70 she is used to.

I just bought the phone and seem to have no issues but have unlimited access. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thankyou!

Elmer
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

My guess would be that she turned off data services. MMS requires data services to be enabled.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
EWRI6884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
My guess would be that she turned off data services. MMS requires data services to be enabled.
Yeah I think that may be what she turned off... But what would draw on her account? I was just thinking that maybe the GPS may be trying to access the internet or maybe BB personal email may be sending out prompting blast? I am not sure... I am new to this.

Thanks for your help though!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
bushako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 1,2 buckle my shoe
Carrier: etisalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRI6884 View Post
Hello all,

My fiancee just got a UNLOCKED ATT 8310 curve which she is using overseas. There they use cards to LOAD their minutes and there is no "MEDIA PLAN" so to speak...use it, it burns more load.

My question is...under normal circumstances with other phones, her load will no diminish when not in use as long as she isnt logged onto the internet or tranferring data (pics, videos ect...). But with her new BB 8310, it seems she will lose her load while the phone sits "apparently" idle.

Well...she figured out by turning something off it wont kill her load but......now she cant receive MMS text messages, if i send a pic, she cant send it until its turned on. What a pain! I am sure its just something we are doing wrong or that is different from the Nokia N70 she is used to.

I just bought the phone and seem to have no issues but have unlimited access. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thankyou!

Elmer
i believe what happens sometimes is that there are some apps which ar running in th background and at the same time connecting to the net using the ewap config while she hasnt got a clue. Cant you dissable the gprs subscription from the network operator? I assume your in the philippines and i dont think that the operators there support BIS. JUst keep an eye on the arrows that pop on the uppr right corner and see if it appears even when your not snding sms or making calls...If it appears to b activ then theres definetely an app accessing the net...Another suggstion is if you chang th permissions for each application that requires internet to operate..
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
EWRI6884

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushako View Post
i believe what happens sometimes is that there are some apps which ar running in th background and at the same time connecting to the net using the ewap config while she hasnt got a clue. Cant you dissable the gprs subscription from the network operator? I assume your in the philippines and i dont think that the operators there support BIS. JUst keep an eye on the arrows that pop on the uppr right corner and see if it appears even when your not snding sms or making calls...If it appears to b activ then theres definetely an app accessing the net...Another suggstion is if you chang th permissions for each application that requires internet to operate..
Thanks... When she wakes up I will have her do that.

Thanks Again!
Closed Thread