BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
sam1965

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: dont know
Default torch freezing etc magnet in case?

Please Login to Remove!

hi all, had a brand new torch about a week first couple of days great no problems then screen started to freeze for no reason then the buttons would lock , the back button wouldnt work, etc generally just freezin and playin up, ive lost count of the number of times ive removed the battery, even wiped it , but still it persists to play up, i am in the process of a replacement, but somebody mentioned it could be the magnet in my leather case ( its a pdair one) that puts the screen off to save battery. has anyone heard anythin about problems when using a case with a magnet in it ? thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: torch freezing etc magnet in case?

I don't follow. You are talking about problems that occur when the device is out of the case, right.

BlackBerrys have a proximity sensor meant to trigger off the magnet and thus detect being in a holster for several different functions, such as different profiles for in-holster vs out-of-holster. But that would not cause problems for the device such as you describe.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
sam1965

hi thanks for the reply, the case i use is not a holster type case its a flip type. the phone stays in the case. the magnet is built into the front flip part if you know what i mean?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Distinction without a difference, I think.

But your issues are with the device function when it is not in the case, correct?

What do you mean by "playin up"?

Just from what you've described, I thin you need to consider the apps you've installed (or themes) prior to the problems occurring, your amount of free memory, the number of apps you have running, and that sort of thing.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-29-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
sam1965

the phone isnt working right in or out of the case, i have 2 apps and 3 songs on it nothing else, like i said i only had it for a day or two then it started to freeze etc "playin up" means freezin up, displayin random screens when i havent pressed anything, that sort of thing its a uk sayin just wondering could the magnet in a case cause these problems
Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Do you have a micro SD card installed? If so, remove it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

The freezing up doesn't concern me--that is it's something that can be fixed--and I imagine the back key not working is because the device is hanging. But if you are having button and/or keyboard malfunctions along with other strange behavior, that is something to worry about.

If you've exposed the device to moisture, even a humid shower room or sweaty pocket, you need to remove the battery NOW and see Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
sam1965

ive tried removing the sd card , but the strange behaviour returned shortly, it hasnt been exposed to any moisture, so it must just be a bad phone. i will will wait for my replacement , and hope its not the case that is causing the problems thanks for the replys
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Post an update when you get the chance.

I don't see how the case has anything to do with your issues with the device.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I'm curious - what version of the OS are you running? I'm at 6.0.0.246 and I don't have those issues. You can find the version by clicking on Options > About Device Versions. Let us know how the replacement works out.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
spiderman44

Carrier: Rogers

I can relate to the poster with the "freezing" issues. I have a new Torch 9800 - had it for one whole day. Wanting to put it thru it's paces during a regular work day, I slid it into my Bold 9700 pouch. It was a snug fit - but a fit none the less. At my first call (30 mintues later), took the phone out of the case and it was "frozen" - couldn't access any icon, couldn't make a call, end a call, check an email, use the back button or the menu button. Took the back off, removed and replaced the battery and all was well with the world - behaved normally from then on. I put it into my pocket for the balance of the day instead of back in the pouch. I assumed it had something to do with the magnetic area around the catch. Anyone else experience anything similar? What style/brand of case/pouch are you using without difficulty? I usually stick to a pouch with swivel clip to wear on my belt.
Thx!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman44 View Post
I can relate to the poster with the "freezing" issues. I have a new Torch 9800 - had it for one whole day. Wanting to put it thru it's paces during a regular work day, I slid it into my Bold 9700 pouch. It was a snug fit - but a fit none the less. At my first call (30 mintues later), took the phone out of the case and it was "frozen" - couldn't access any icon, couldn't make a call, end a call, check an email, use the back button or the menu button. Took the back off, removed and replaced the battery and all was well with the world - behaved normally from then on. I put it into my pocket for the balance of the day instead of back in the pouch. I assumed it had something to do with the magnetic area around the catch. Anyone else experience anything similar? What style/brand of case/pouch are you using without difficulty? I usually stick to a pouch with swivel clip to wear on my belt.
Thx!
I'm using the black leather pouch with swivel belt clip and magnetic closure that was made for the Curve, and it works quite well with my Torch. No freezing at all. The magnet does just what it is supposed to do.
Closed Thread