BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
jammerz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default Seido Rubberized Case Review (Yes, Another One)

Please Login to Remove!

I just received my Seido rubberized case. I live in Canada, So when I bought the case alone, with shipping it cost me around $40.00 CAD. I used the cheapest method of shipping, which took a pretty long time to come. I ordered it November 2nd, and I received it today... and because Seido marks it as a PDA Accessory, US customs charged me $9.17. So basically the case cost me $50 after everything was said and done. It's not an extravagant amonnt, but nonetheless, it is the most that I have ever paid for a case.

Now to the case. After reading all of the reviews I knew this would be a 50-50 chance of my case satisfying me or not. I snapped the top before the bottom, like many threads have said to do, and it snapped in pretty easy.The case feels like a dream. I feel like I have a better grip on the phone now, and it absolutely does not increase the size of the case by any visible means...

...BUT... when I look at the case, you can clearly tell that the case does not fit perfectly. The space between the two pieces decreases as you move from the top of the case to the bottom. I thought at first that I had missed a clip or something, but after checking each side, I realized it was just how it fit. And when I use the phone in one hand to send a text message, the case feels as if it has a bit of space, causing the pearl to shift slightly. Also, when snapping the case together, it did feel as if there was a lot more tension in the top of the case than the bottom.

So in Summary:

Pros:
- Snaps together easy: Snap top before bottom
- Better grip, does not inhibit finger for texting
- Case + Pearl VS Pearl alone is negligable

Cons:
- Fitment is not flush: space between pieces is different in top vs bottom
- Pearl seems to move around a bit in the case
- There is a lot of tension in the top of the case: makes it feel fragile.
- It is expensive for what it is. Realistically the case is worth around $30 bucks Canadian, and I spent around $50 Canadian on it.
- I have an OEM Blackberry Leather case with a sleeper magnet, and the skin will fit inside of the case, but because of the rubberization, the case is hard to pull in and out of the case. I basically have no use for the case anymore.

Would I buy another case from Seido?
Overall, I thnk the cons outweigh the pros. I bought this case basically based off of phungy's review (not saying that I blame you bro!)... one thing that I think people should see is the way the case looks on the phone. When I get home from class, I will post some pictures of the real pieces you want to see - the mute button, the sides and corners of the phone, etc.

Next time, I'm going to wait longer and read more reviews. If there is a lot of good reviews, then I might buy another Seido cae. But the experience alone has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
tchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

$50 for a case??? wowwww and seidio is a "friend" of this forums????
Old 11-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
tommyhobbes

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchao
$50 for a case??? wowwww and seidio is a "friend" of this forums????

It is overpriced but it was $50 Canadian to be fair.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

man for fifty bucks i would have just claimed insurance for another one and had a spare one in case anything happens to it, also i was scared to buy one due to the fact that i keep it in my pocket all the time and with the rubber case that wont be an easy task (putting in my pocket and takeing out) so no case for me yet. ill save my money for now,

also tommy i dont care if its fifty or forty thats still over priced canadian or american. seido THINK RETENTION with your customers. hint, hint.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerz
I just received my Seido rubberized case.
Would I buy another case from Seido? the experience alone has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Thanks for the very comprehensive review of this product.

Sorry to hear that it was such a bad experience for you. The irony, is that I have been trying to decide if I was going to buy not one, but two of these as I have both the 7130 and 8700 models.

Because of your detailed report, I'm going to save my money and not buy these cases.

Thanks Again, for saving me (and probably others here) the money and the headaches that go with a bad product and miserable experience.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
absolved
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I was not entirely satisfied with the rubberized case either...I felt naming it "rubberized" is a stretch. It feels just like a piece of plastic. =\ I agree that the top seems to be smaller, also for those that have it look underneath the very top of the case (where the ear piece is) there seems to be two plastic parts coming out that look like flat teeth. I have a shieldzone screen protector on as well, and the screen protectors are sorta "jelly" and after taking it off I see two "teeth marks" left on my jelly screen protector. =|

Also I really don't like the bottom of the case where it kinda hinders typing. It's not a HUGE problem but you can definately feel it when you're trying to type fast or a long message.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Thanks for the very comprehensive review of this product.

Sorry to hear that it was such a bad experience for you. The irony, is that I have been trying to decide if I was going to buy not one, but two of these as I have both the 7130 and 8700 models.

Because of your detailed report, I'm going to save my money and not buy these cases.

Thanks Again, for saving me (and probably others here) the money and the headaches that go with a bad product and miserable experience.
smart person you are
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

It's made for in an out of a pocket, that's what it is. Not for in an out of another case, maybe a purse but that's it. It's made for those who don't want to scratch it up, have a screen protector, and want it in their pocket and don't want it to stick there or attract lint when they take it out. Minimal protection, minimal size addition, a little bit of tackiness (not much), looks great.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 AM   #9
TUIR

I bought the skins, the crystal cases and the rubberized case. Of the bunch, the rubberized case fits the most poorly -- though it fits very well, the other two are (close to) perfect fit. By fit, I mean fitting together, the two pieces. They all fit the phone perfectly.

That said, it is the one of choice, based on look, feel, cleanliness.

Everyone will have their price points and comfort zones for products. I'd pay $30 again for this case, as I feel the crystal cases are also worth it and the skins are a steal at $10.

This is all contingent, on the lifespan of the fit. If it doesn't line quite right but lasts for a year, that is far better than a perfect crease that crumbles quickly.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 AM   #10
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnielove
man for fifty bucks i would have just claimed insurance for another one and had a spare one in case anything happens to it, also i was scared to buy one due to the fact that i keep it in my pocket all the time and with the rubber case that wont be an easy task (putting in my pocket and takeing out) so no case for me yet. ill save my money for now,

also tommy i dont care if its fifty or forty thats still over priced canadian or american. seido THINK RETENTION with your customers. hint, hint.
I heard the rubber version of Seido should be easy to take out and in of the pocket.

I asked if the rubber version will stay on top of the dashboard if you drive and I heard it won't compared to the RIM Blackberry version.

Only the cystal thin case won't be easy to take in and out of the pocket.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
TUIR

Only the skins have have a stickiness making pocket removal a challenge. Crystal and rubberized are smooth.

Neither the crystal nor the rubberized will stick to a dash. The skins will (for the most part).
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #12
jammerz

Default Pictures 1

Here are some close ups of the skin as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 001.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	6017   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 002.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	6018   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	6019   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 007.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	6020   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 008.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6021  

Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 AM   #13
jammerz

Default Pictures 2

More:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BB Pearl 010.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	6022   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 011.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	6023   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 015.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	6024   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 018.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	6025   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 019.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	6026  

Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 AM   #14
jammerz

Default Pictures 3

And some more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BB Pearl 020.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	6027   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 022.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6028   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 024.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	6029   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 025.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6030   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB Pearl 026.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	6031  

Old 11-21-2006, 02:48 AM   #15
jammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUIR
I bought the skins, the crystal cases and the rubberized case. Of the bunch, the rubberized case fits the most poorly -- though it fits very well, the other two are (close to) perfect fit. By fit, I mean fitting together, the two pieces. They all fit the phone perfectly...
Could you be more specific with "(close to) perfect"? Is that your experience with a purchased product?

Because if so I might file a claim with Seido to maybe get the case switched or something, if possible. I think the Smoke Crystal Case is pretty nice, in theory. The product...?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #16
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i am in the same boat as you. I ordered it off of phungys review. I have the same complaints... I took about 30 min to file down the sides a bit so it was flush. I also input a post it note inside with my contact info. That stopped the pearl from shifting or making noises with the case.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

I just got mine today, and it does not exibit any of the poor fit qualities indicated above. In fact I had a difficult time snapping it on the 8100, but once it clicked, it is tight, no gaps etc. My 8100 does not move around inside of it etc. Maybe I have Version 2?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
jammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
i am in the same boat as you. I ordered it off of phungys review. I have the same complaints... I took about 30 min to file down the sides a bit so it was flush.
I don't have the time to waste. I'm going to talk to Seido and see if I can get a new case, as they stated in your thread, krad. If there is a version 2, as paulmac stated, I would rather get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
I also input a post it note inside with my contact info. That stopped the pearl from shifting or making noises with the case.
It's a good idea. I'm going to do the same, and see if it works. Thanks krad!

Last edited by jammerz; 11-21-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #19
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Kudo's on the wonderful array of photos you provided!

It's people like you that contribute valuable information for the rest of us to benefit from. Your well composed & properly focused photos leave no question about the topic at hand. Indeed a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts to provide a detailed report. I for one, certainly appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Cheers.....
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #20
BoxWave
Platinum Sponsor

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:

Thanks for the photos and the review, very helpful. The case does look nice and I could see why it costs $50.00 but what about dust buildup? I mean its rubber, I had a rubber Ipod case and it would always collect dust.

Also, since you said that the fitment isn't perfect how bad are the gaps? Do the gaps make the case look uneven when its on the phone?

Chris-
BoxWave Accessories

Last edited by BoxWave; 03-14-2007 at 04:59 PM..
Closed Thread