BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
next_thomas

Model: 7290
Carrier: proximus
Default BES reinstallation - what about SRP and CAL keys?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I'm very new with BES, and installed it on a SBS 2003 box... Even if this is only for 3-5 users, I think it's better to reinstall it on a separate box. My idea is to install a virtual PC on the same box (Virtual PC ? Virtual Server ? VMWare ? Any suggestion is welcome!), running Windows XP Pro (I've seen BES can be installed on XP, right ?).
What I'm afraid of is that I will not be able to re-authenticate the SRP and CAL keys after reinstallation...
So are RIM servers supposed to check if the keys have been already authenticated ? Do I have to "unassign" them from the SBS prior to reinstall ?
Or can I just go for it and start from scratch ?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Hey Thomas,

The SRP key and auth key are stored in the BESMgmt database in the "ServerConfig" table. After you have reinstalled your new BES, just point to the correct SQL server and the BESMgmt database.

For virtual machine support, VMWare ESX Server version 2.5.2 or later is supported with BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2.

Source: KB04405 What Is - Virtual Machine software is not supported for BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation
Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Hi Thomas
your post is a little unclear as to whether you're going to install on a separate physical server. I think you are saying you intend to install a virtual server on the SBS, an XP instance in that vserver and then BES on top. I'd double check the memory you've got on the SBS server, as well as file server and Exchange your then planning to chuck on VMWare, XP and a BES instance which could cream your memory

Can't say I understand why you're going to do this..If BES is there and working and not affecting performance, then I dont think you gain by moving to a VMware based platform running on the same server.

oh and one thing you must NOT do EVER is to have 2x BES running with the same SRP ID...otherwise it will get disconnected..
Old 12-04-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
next_thomas

Thanks guys for your answers...
Actually I quickly installed BES on the SBS box to have an idea of the questions and settings I'm being asked during the setup process.
The SBS box is a test environment so no problem if I ruin it !
After reading posts and posts, it seems it is preferable to install it on a separate box, this is why I would like to uninstall it, and reinstall it on a virtual XP (also for testing purpose).
Regarding the keys, as the server has been installed using MSDE, it will be quite complicated to take out the serverconfig table.

So could you please confirm it's safe to uninstall it, and reinstall it on another box, using the same keys (the keys will never run at the same moment on 2 boxes) ?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

yes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
next_thomas

Thanks Bertie. I understand (do I?) you confirm I can safely remove the software and reinstall it on another server.

If you have time, please check my new post on BES admin corner... very basic questions, but I'd like so much them to be answered as I'm stil confused...
Closed Thread