Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
bbbbbb

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Problem with releasing IMEI and PIN with Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to BB. Recently, I bought BB 8820 from eBay without knowing that I needed to register IMEI and PIN in order to use Pushmail function. This BB has already been registered with Orange UK and the seller is not helpful in order to release IMEI and PIN at all.

My question is:

Is there any other ways to release IMEI and PIN or delete this BIS account so that I can use Pushmail?

My comment:
I assume that the majority of new users to BB does not know about this before they actually use the Pushmail function. And if I cannot release this IMEI and PIN thing, I may have to sell it off somewhere. I have already been upset with this troublesome requirement and obviously the next buyer in the chain will feel the same! This process will go on and on. In the end, this requirement will create a large group of upset customers really. In this competitive world, BB will eventually fade away if they do not provide solutions on this issue, as many will turn to other brands.

My proposed solution:
I think BB should at least help customers on this issue provided that customers can prove the ownership of the device at the time they raise this issue, e.g. video clip showing IMEI and PIN.

Anyway, I would like to know what BB have to say about this.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

BlackBerry is not a company... it's a product line.
RIM is the company.

That aside, RIM is a device manufacturer that provides equipment and services to wireless carriers. It's not their responsibility to provide direct support to the public.
I think your proposed solution is not a good one. I also don't think the BlackBerry is at any risk of "fading away" as a result.

You need to get this resolved through your current wireless carrier, or the carrier that the device is currently "linked to".
Sometimes your current carrier can assist in working with the previous carrier to unregister the device from the previous owner and get it working for you.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
bbbbbb

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK

I did try all options available.

Obviously, if one is careful enough or the problem has never been raised, he/she can avoid certain responsible tasks. However, if there are lots of compliants on certain issues, a good company should look into them closely and make additional 'to do' tasks in order to make its customers happy on those issues, even though these 'to do' tasks are not defined as responsibility.

I believe this should be their responsibility because for certain service providers (at least mine) registration will be directed to Blackberry.com. Since RIM created this process (IMEI/PIN thing and registration on Blackberry.com), it should not pass the responsibility to service providers but instead should take responsibility on the problem arisen from this particular processs it created for all providers.

Thank you for your comment though.

Last edited by bbbbbb; 09-23-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
I did try all options available.

Obviously, if one is careful enough or the problem has never been raised, he/she can avoid certain responsible tasks. However, if there are lots of compliants on certain issues, a good company should look into them closely and make additional 'to do' tasks in order to make its customers happy on those issues, even though these 'to do' tasks are not defined as responsibility.

Thank you for your comment though.
You're really not getting this. This is not the responsibility of RIM. It is the responsibility of the carrier. YOU are not RIM's customer, your carrier is RIM's customer. You are your carrier's customer. Your carrier is the one that should be trying to make you happy.

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 09-23-2008 at 03:32 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
My proposed solution:
I think BB should at least help customers on this issue provided that customers can prove the ownership of the device at the time they raise this issue, e.g. video clip showing IMEI and PIN...
That wouldn't prove ownership, but rather possession. All this would prove is that you know how to make a video. It certainly wouldn't guarantee that the device in the recording wasn't lost or stolen.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
I am new to BB. Recently, I bought BB 8820 from eBay without knowing that I needed to register IMEI and PIN in order to use Pushmail function. This BB has already been registered with Orange UK and the seller is not helpful in order to release IMEI and PIN at all.

My question is:

Is there any other ways to release IMEI and PIN or delete this BIS account so that I can use Pushmail?
I bet you wonder if you asked the right question!

Since both parties appear to use the same carrier, I would have thought that Orange UK have a clear interest in making it possible for you to subscribe to a BB data plan.

I would suggest you contact Orange with proof of purchase and encourage CS to escalate the issue to their BB team.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
I would suggest you contact Orange with proof of purchase and encourage CS to escalate the issue to their BB team.
^ x2
Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
My proposed solution:
I think BB should at least help customers on this issue provided that customers can prove the ownership of the device at the time they raise this issue, e.g. video clip showing IMEI and PIN.
That's the problem though. Anyone can post the IMEI and PIN from a stolen or "found" BB... How exactly do you prove ownership? I think you'd need a sales receipt with the PIN and IMEI on it from a reputable vendor -- but then how do you determine who's reputable and who isn't?

This is something where the buyer really needs to do his/her homework (applicable to any expensive/technical purchase anyway) to ensure that the old BIS account was deleted by the seller's carrier. Carriers generally don't do this when a wireless account is closed.

Again, your best bet is to have your carrier escalate this matter to RIM (like they're supposed to).

Last edited by takeshi; 09-24-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Closed Thread