BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
jazz12232

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Refresh BlackBerry device status info

Please Login to Remove!

I have a user losing emails because he has 0 Mb of available Memory (I understand when storage space on a BlackBerry gets low the least frequently accessed email messages are automatically deleted to free up more space). He claims he has "cleaned" up his device and it's still happening. My question is, is it possible to update/refresh the information under his Properties / BlackBerry device status on the BES so I can see how much Available Memory his device is reporting. The "Last Update Time" was from 8a this morning but I would like to see what it's currently reports.
I realize I can ask the user to look on his device but I know if I do he wouldn't tell me truthfully if he was still out of space. Don't you just love the users that don't ever think they're wrong.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Search for a thread on here as it had a document of how to clean up the device (remove sample video / phone logs / etc)

Ask the user to wipe the device, remove and re-add to the BES and re-activate. It will resync and you'll get updated stats. All this should take less then 30 minutes so its not a huge inconvience to troubleshoot.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Known issue - welcome to the fun!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
wren
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

the most likely offending problem is pictures stored on the SIM. buy them SD cards and configure the camera to only save to the card, that way it won't affect phone memory.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
1bird2

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Question Same Question -- getting BB to update device status

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz12232 View Post
I have a user losing emails because he has 0 Mb of available Memory (I understand when storage space on a BlackBerry gets low the least frequently accessed email messages are automatically deleted to free up more space). He claims he has "cleaned" up his device and it's still happening. My question is, is it possible to update/refresh the information under his Properties / BlackBerry device status on the BES so I can see how much Available Memory his device is reporting. The "Last Update Time" was from 8a this morning but I would like to see what it's currently reports.
I realize I can ask the user to look on his device but I know if I do he wouldn't tell me truthfully if he was still out of space. Don't you just love the users that don't ever think they're wrong.

Thanks.
I have this same question. Yes, we have seen users taking pictures with no SD Card being the culprit for memory issues (logs and emails being dumped). However, we don't want to wipe, re-install users if we don't have to. We have tried everything to get the "Device Status" to update (by looking in the BES console and looking at the specific user in question). We have rebooted the BB device (remove/replace battery), change mail agent, reloaded user, resent service books, changed policy, delete PIM backup data. Nothing changes the information in the "Device Status". Anyone have any other ideas? Running BES 4.1.6, MR4. User on a AT&T 8310. We see a few "random" users that have a very long uptime and reaching out to them to ask them to reboot does not change the Device Status values. All other aspects of service seem to be fine (PIM information works bi-directionally).

Thanks,

-bird
Closed Thread