BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
ronedwards
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

I am with Vodafone in Australia and have this problem too. Please tell me how to turn it off!! It's only started happening in the last couple of months?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ View Post
I too am in this boat. I am not concerned about delivery receipts so much as read receipts. On Outlook, I have the option to send a receipt or not when I open a message. On the Blackberry, not only am I not informed there is one attached but it sends the read receipt without my consent.
Paul, that was addressed in the very first post in this thread. You do have the option to disable sending of read receipts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbent View Post
From the e-mail account messages folder:
Options/Email Settings/
Confirm Delivery: No
Confirm Read: No
Send Read Receipts: No
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #23
jgreen1280

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Paul, that was addressed in the very first post in this thread. You do have the option to disable sending of read receipts.

This may have been addressed in the first thread, but it is referring to stand-alone blackberry users, not enterprise level users with a BES.

I am an IT admin and manage 230 of these devices, I have yet to find a way to disable read receipts on an email that the BB has received from exchange/bes

if any of you have any ideas about how to accomplish this, that would be awesome!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #24
PaulQ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

--------------

This may have been addressed in the first thread, but it is referring to stand-alone blackberry users, not enterprise level users with a BES.
----------------------

Bingo. In fact, since upgrading to OS 4.5, I don't see ANY options associated with mail receipts, read or delivery.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
schja01

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I am a BIS user (via Sprint) with an 8330.
I was experiencing the problem of my Blackberry Curve sending delivery confirmations even though I had "Send Read Receipts = No" specified.

Well I found the following seems to correct things (for me):

I temporarily set "Send Read Receipts = Prompt"
I send a message from Outlook Express to my BB requesting a delivery receipt.
When I opened the message on my BB it did prompt me if I wanted to send the receipt and also offered to change my response to become the default in the future and no longer prompt me.
I responded NO to the prompt and also checked the box to make it the new default.
As of now my BB no longer sends Read Receipt confirmations.

YMMV
Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #26
cameron.personal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by schja01 View Post
I am a BIS user (via Sprint) with an 8330.
I was experiencing the problem of my Blackberry Curve sending delivery confirmations even though I had "Send Read Receipts = No" specified.

Well I found the following seems to correct things (for me):

I temporarily set "Send Read Receipts = Prompt"
I send a message from Outlook Express to my BB requesting a delivery receipt.
When I opened the message on my BB it did prompt me if I wanted to send the receipt and also offered to change my response to become the default in the future and no longer prompt me.
I responded NO to the prompt and also checked the box to make it the new default.
As of now my BB no longer sends Read Receipt confirmations.

YMMV
I think you mean it no longer sends Delivery Receipt confirmations!

Regardless this fix works!

I have been plagued by the "delivery" receipts being sent from my BB to anyone who requests them.

I just tested schja01's fix above and it works (for some reason)!!

On the BB Set: Send Read Receipts: to Prompt

Sent myself an email from Outlook asking only for a delivery receipt not a read receipt.

When received the BB asked if I wanted to send a read receipt, I followed schja01's advice and said "NO" and remember decision.

MY BB non longer sends read or delivery receipts for that account!!

Cameron

Last edited by cameron.personal; 10-08-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #27
4GSM

Model: 7230
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron.personal View Post

I just tested schja01's fix above and it works (for some reason)!!

On the BB Set: Send Read Receipts: to Prompt

Sent myself an email from Outlook asking only for a delivery receipt not a read receipt.

When received the BB asked if I wanted to send a read receipt, I followed schja01's advice and said "NO" and remember decision.

MY BB non longer sends read or delivery receipts for that account!!

Cameron
Sorry, did not work for me. Still sending delivery receipts.... I am on T-Mobile, BTW. And it must be a device software issue. I played around with my old 7290, and it does *not* send delivery receipts, while the 8320 does!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #28
Goalie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Telus

I have a new 8350i and this work around does not work on the Telus system. The promp message does not come up.

I called Telus and they had me delete all of the service books and then resent them. The "Confirm Delivery" option came in set to YES. I changed it to NO on the three accounts that I use and then used fhe procedure again. It worked and the receipts are now stopped.

RIM is aware of this issue because the Telus rep was able to search for it on their internal site.

Last edited by Goalie; 03-26-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Old 05-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
SuperFlyBoy

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie View Post
I have a new 8350i and this work around does not work on the Telus system. The promp message does not come up.

I called Telus and they had me delete all of the service books and then resent them. The "Confirm Delivery" option came in set to YES. I changed it to NO on the three accounts that I use and then used fhe procedure again. It worked and the receipts are now stopped.

RIM is aware of this issue because the Telus rep was able to search for it on their internal site.
I just got the Curve 8900 from T-mobile USA and it keeps sending out the messages, despite what I try, as the other posters above.

However, I haven't tried to do what you have done above, as I do not fully understand what "service books" are - are these the e-mail accounts I set up? Would appreciate the clarification on this, so I can try the same thing. (I now have researched this and found out that the service book(s) are located in Advanced Options, under Options, and list a *number* of items) I do not wish to delete something that might affect service at this point in time.

Also, does anyone on T-mobile USA know if one can set up the BB e-mail accounts online (i. e., *not* on the device itself, as I am roaming right now, and have only free e-mail access on the device, so if I access data, I will be charged)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; 05-23-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
dolfandoug

Model: 8300
Carrier: verizon

In Messages --> Options --> Email Settings, there are now three items: Confirm Delivery, Confirm Read, and Send Receipts.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #31
omerBarlas

Model: 9000
Carrier: Turkcell

I am using a 9000, and I have the exact same problem. In options I have the three options mentioned, and even if I have the three of them disabled, still my phone or blackberry servers are sending away those messages.

I wouldn't mind those messages, but it sends them out to spammers also, so it certifies my address as active to them.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:10 AM   #32
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbent View Post
Although I agree this is a server generated receipt, the device is involved. The delivery receipt is sent when the DEVICE receives the message not the BB server.

Here's the rub (and reason for posting this original query).

***By using the delivery receipt option in MS Outlook you can find out who has a BlackBerry, if they currently have coverage and if it's turned on - If the BB device is powered down (or out of coverage) for a few days no delivery receipts are sent until it's powered back up***

I have a home office where there is no cellular coverage, so these receipts can essentially act as a "tracking device" as they are only sent when I leave home!

Since I have since learned this is a general BB concern and not limited to the 8300, should this be moved to a larger general forum where we might have more exposure to help find a workaround?

Thanks!
There's a much easier way to see if your mail recipient has a BlackBerry and you can't disable that either.

In the beginning of the subject line when sending to ANYONE, simply type the word <confirm> exactly as you see it here, using the triangle brackets.

As soon as the mail hit's the recipients BlackBerry, you will get a BlackBerry delivery confirmation receipt and the user doesn't see or even know that this has happened.

So, your concern is a moot point, since this isn't even an option who's response you can control.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
cyberdyne
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9360
Carrier: Vodafone

I too have this problem and it's pretty annoying.

I have tried the 'fix' of setting 'Send Read Receipts' to 'Prompt' but even after selecting 'No' when the question pops up, the receipts still send anyway.

This is quite a security risk and should be dealt with.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #34
carolscats

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus
Default Read receipts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfandoug View Post
In Messages --> Options --> Email Settings, there are now three items: Confirm Delivery, Confirm Read, and Send Receipts.
I did this-went to messages/options/email settings-and then set "confirm delivery, confirm Read, Send Read Receipts" all to NO and then saved it -sent myself a test message - It didn't work. So I re-did it, saved it, and then I did a Quick Pull (Battery Pull). It worked!
I have a Blackberry Storm 9530 running on the Telus network in Canada.

Regards,
CJ
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
occa54

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon
Default A separate but related issue?

How do I turnoff the notice "Sent from my Verizon Blackberry" thats seems to attach to every BB message I send?
Closed Thread