Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT
Cool Yeah Baby! Just got my new toy!

Please Login to Remove!

Fed Ex just delivered my new Torch! doing the device switch right now. Out with the Bold, in with the New...Torch that is....I love a new toy!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Wow.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Congratulations!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
MM57677
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

Sounds fun! Let us know how you like it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I liked my Bold 9000... I'm curious to how much longer I can tolerate the 9800... I've got a few more days before I have to take it back if I dont like it!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me

Wasn't the main negative to the 9700 vs 9000 because of the diminished screen?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, after messing around with it until almost 11:30 last night, I finally have the hang of it - Lots of different ways to move around, and lots of things to learn. Stuff isn't always where it used to be!

BUT - it's pretty cool! So far, I love it!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

It is different but fun to learn
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Rockefella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

It's the best phone I've ever used. Enjoy it and don't listen to all the negativists.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I've had it for almost a week now, and I'm loving it. Yeah, it's not an iPhone, but it's not supposed to be, is it? It's doing all I asked of it just like all BB's I've ever had...little issues here and there, but it's a cool little machine...I'm gonna be on the road all week, so I'll see how it does in "action" for a few days instead of around the house...
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
Well, I've had it for almost a week now, and I'm loving it. Yeah, it's not an iPhone, but it's not supposed to be, is it? It's doing all I asked of it just like all BB's I've ever had...little issues here and there, but it's a cool little machine...I'm gonna be on the road all week, so I'll see how it does in "action" for a few days instead of around the house...
They're always going to have their little issues. RIM looks forward to our feedback as worthless as we may think it is

I love the Torch... its taken some getting used to but I know I wont use all the extra features it has. I learn about a new one once a day now it seems like..
Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Media gave it a bad rap. It is a awsome device. I love showing it off to people and they say, "Is that a BlackBerry with a sliding key board?" I had fun on a plane showing it off to a bunch of people. Our Canadien office is planning on getting 20 of these soon.
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

well after they saw mine and compared it to a 9330 and 9000
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, back from a week on the road with the Torch...I was looking forward to real life testing and seeing how we would get along just the two of us!

Battery life - Ok, I send and receive emails ALL DAY and I'm on the phone almost from the time I get up until I finish for the day, usually around 7:00 pm...that's a lot of talking, takes me through 2 Jawbone Icons per day. I carry an extra because they die long before I'm done. I didn't expect the battery on the Torch to make it all day under these extreme conditions, and it almost did. I finally plugged it in around 5:00 pm the first day. I'm not running a lot of applications, but I do wander around on the device while on the phone sometimes especially if I'm on a conference call.

Ease of operation - I find I use the keyboard much more than I use the virtual keypad. It's kind of nice to have the option to use either depending on where you are and the application you happen to be in at the time. I've found a combination of keyboard and touch screen allows me to scream through tasks like never before and my productivity is up, IMHO. The freedom to tap, scroll, swipe, or go "old school" is really nice.

Browser - I LOVE IT! Such an improvement from the old one, it's not even funny. Took a little getting used to, but so did everything else on this 'berry.

Media - I've got over 400 pictures, 600 sons on it, about 20 podcasts to watch and keep me entertained in an airport, and 2 movies (Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2). I watched some podcasts, and one movie. Hey, it's not a television, so what do you expect. I was ok with the picture - it's not supposed to be HD, it's a Blackberry.

The Search feature is worth the price of admission, period. I love the search in emails, came in handy more than once last week. The Universal Search is just AWESOME!

I've found most Apps I use are working fine on it, like WorldMate, Smart Wifi, and Caller ID Reader. I only had a couple that didn't make the transition and I found I could live without them anyway.

I did notice some "lag" at times when switching from one thing to another and sometimes in swiping from one email to another. I found that usually was because I had a lot of crap running at the time and sometimes it happened when I was on a call. Was it enough to piss me off? Nope...heck, I seem to remember some extended "clocking time" on my 9700 from time to time.

I didn't have to reboot all week in order to clear it's head and make it work.

Each afternoon after making sales calls all day, I tethered it to my laptop back at the hotel and spent lots of time working and surfing. I use AT&T Communications Manager and it works fine.

All in all, after a long, rough week, it definitely made the cut. It's doing all I asked it to do, and it's doing it very well. I've had a Blackberry for years now, made the transition from WAY back and I've tried them all. They all have issues, and they all do things we love and then lack in areas we'd like to see improvement. No one device will ever cover everyone's idea of the perfect phone...some folks need to just carry a laptop and a phone in order to do everything they need or think they need.

I'm on BES, running the .161 OS, about to switch to the .214 later today.

This may not be the device for you, but it sure is doing the job for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
GoHawks63
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
Ease of operation - I find I use the keyboard much more than I use the virtual keypad. It's kind of nice to have the option to use either depending on where you are and the application you happen to be in at the time. I've found a combination of keyboard and touch screen allows me to scream through tasks like never before and my productivity is up, IMHO. The freedom to tap, scroll, swipe, or go "old school" is really nice.

Browser - I LOVE IT! Such an improvement from the old one, it's not even funny. Took a little getting used to, but so did everything else on this 'berry.

This may not be the device for you, but it sure is doing the job for me.
After less than a week I agree with everything in your post. The items above, espcially the bolded are ones I strongly agree with you.

I've read complaints about the multiple options for navigating. Go figure that you would criticize RIM for providing flexibility.

Last edited by GoHawks63; 09-13-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Closed Thread