BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: I tried. Really, I tried.

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
There is no doubt that tweaks can be made to pep up the battery. It is a v1.0 software, after all.

The Lumia 920 is so big and clunky. I am looking at an HTC 8X now, which also doesn't have a replaceable battery.

Then again, if anyone can find an LS-1 battery for the Z10, let me know
Quick Google search:

Browse BlackBerry Batteries | ShopCrackBerry This is for pre-order.

Genuine Blackberry LS1 Battery for Blackberry Z10 L S1 BB10 Acc 51546 201 | eBay
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks; non of the reputable vendors have any available for order today.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

The font size issue could very well be a deal breaker for me. I've been able to deal with this on my 9900 by using the bold font on my email, and the Opera Mini browser. I'll have to see if you guys are able to resolve this bug.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35 View Post
No speed dialing? That's not good -- especially without a keyboard.
It HAS speed dialling - and very easy to use as well. You press the phone icon, and you have up to 9 speed dials on the screen...each one measuring a good 3/4" by 3/4" square, with a full size HD colour icon (profile picture for that contact). You press the icon and that's your speed dial. A bit unintuitive to setup if you don't RTFM, but once you've done it a few times, it's a breeze. The only downside, is that you only get 9 speed dials. It should have a swipe left and right to get another 18 speed dials.

Battery life does improve somewhat after the 1st few cycles...but it will NEVER be a 9900, leave alone a 9780. I get around 12 -14 hours in 4GLTE and probably 24+ in 3G, which is where the phone is quite often...4GLTE is an issue on this device. This is with moderate usage on BBM/ TXT/ E-mails on 3 accounts / Phone calls...and some browsing as well, all with WiFi and Mobile Network on. I expect the battery life to improve as the phone gets older, because I won't be playing with it as much in a few more weeks, once the New BlackBerry Syndrome is over...LOL

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...

Last edited by stevew; 02-12-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg777 View Post
I've been reading some very different battery life usage. Hopefully it gets sorted out cause it should last at least a day with moderate use.

I remember the battery fiasco with the 9900's at launch and after 2 replacement units, battery life was good enough to get through a busy day.

But my touchscreen and touchpad seems to be acting up once in awhile these days.

But will probably get one though, when my company upgrades the BES server.
You don't need the BES anymore if you have Exchange...it will work without BES, because with or without BES, it now uses Active Sync in Exchange so you can get one today! The BES does some other cute things to the device once it's been provisioned by the BES, but you don't need the BES.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
lg777
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You don't need the BES anymore if you have Exchange...it will work without BES, because with or without BES, it now uses Active Sync in Exchange so you can get one today! The BES does some other cute things to the device once it's been provisioned by the BES, but you don't need the BES.
Yes but the company I work for won't allow devices to connect to Exchange directly...I think they let a few iPad's to connect via some VPN. So it's BES or nothing for now. I was told flat no for now, it's your existing BB until further notice.

As soon as they turn on the switch, I'm getting one.

So, anyone know with BB10 you can convert an email into a task or calendar app't? I have an app that does this on my 9900 but it's not very refined but the ability to do this is really helpful.

And did they keep the calendar meeting with conference call settings in tact?

Also, flag for follow up still there?

Last edited by lg777; 02-13-2013 at 12:12 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I tried the Z10. Loved the form factor. Fast and lightweight.
But I went back to my Lumia 920 (fast and heavyweight) for a few reasons:
- Font sizes; the lock screen and e-mails are so small I can barely read them. Even with my reading glasses on
- Apps. Or lack thereof. And not Skype and Netflix. Apps I use.
- Poor battery life on LTE. I got about 8 hours today and I barely touched it.
- Just some things I got used to. Much easier to delete e-mails on the Lumia (fewer touches)..
- Speed Dialing just wasn't happening for me on the Z10.

I will keep it around; it works fine on WiFi just no calls and will test it as (if) software updates become available.

It has promise. It is a lovely BB, but not right for my needs.
The font size is not good news to me. I had that problem on Windows Phone 7 (it was hideously small for texting - to the point I didn't want to use it.) I also have the Lumia 920 and was grateful Windows Phone 8 addressed the font issue.

I run hosted exchange and BES - the BES for SMIME (otherwise I wouldn't need BES due to what has already been mentioned.) I pay more to get that SMIME. But I have to get the SMIME certs onto the device.

After some research it appears that Blackberry Link is only a media consumer type sync program, no Outlook sync which most certainly means no SMIME sync. I currently use the Desktop Manager to sync my SMIME certs onto my BB Torch 9810.

I was confident in moving forward with the Z10 but there are several factors now that aren't playing out well.

Blackberry was the one device where you could make the font as large as you wanted, even for the browser - it is also stellar in its syncing/backup/restore software allowing the user to do quite a bit.

I took those things for granted - they may prove to be things I cannot live without. Now they are all fixable with updates... so for me, "updating" to the new OS may not be to my advantage until those things are addressed.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
The Sand

Model: 9810

This was very nice to see...

Learn how to sync your contacts, calendar, multime... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

So we will get the direct Outlook USB sync which should "eventually" include the SMIME cert sync just late.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #29
ejmm22
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24E8FFE9
Carrier: AT&T + Movistar.ve

Njblackberry, I have a bb9900, last month I tried for a couple of weeks the lumia 920 and this is why I decided that BBs are the best communication devices:
1.- I could not get the lumia to handle my email (google apps) as imap. When I deleted something on the phone I would still get in on my pc, could not find a way to delete emails from the server
2.- when replying to a message I found it impossible to attach a contact card to a message, I had to close the message, go to the contact card and from there then emailed it, very annoying!
3.- I loved the kid's corner feature, however, for my kids to use it they had to first unlocked the phone (I always have it locked) and then go to kid's corner. Knowing my password gave them access to delete, add, edit anything on the phone making kid's corner useless
4.- I never found a "mark all read" way when handling many emails.

You are a more advanced user than me, have you find a solution to these problems?
I'm hoping the Z10 will provide the same communication attributes as my 9900 and still allow me to use those apps we all would like to use like Skype for instance
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
JakeKole
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: o2

We had one z10 that one of our fee earners was using at one of the sites I support. This fee earner (lawyer) is realy outspoken if he does not like a phone. He hated his 9900 but as he is a bit moody i was surprised to see him come down to IT with a big smile on his face when active sync was working ok. Even the financial director said "that is the first time I have seen him smile while walking to the IT office."

He has gone out and ordered 20 z10 now. :D

Now my mission is to convince them that IT need one for "testing", i used the angle that IT need one so they can support it :P
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #31
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

Quote:
..Blackberry was the one device where you could make the font as large as you wanted, even for the browser - it is also stellar in its syncing/backup/restore software allowing the user to do quite a bit.

I took those things for granted - they may prove to be things I cannot live without. Now they are all fixable with updates... so for me, "updating" to the new OS may not be to my advantage until those things are addressed....
I do agree with these sentiments and cannot believe that one is unable to change font size on this phone.?? I can easily do this on my 9900 (mind you, I still wear readers to do so).. As for battery life, I'm either at my console doing my job, or in my truck so am never far from charging ability.

Still, I think I will wait till there is at least 1 software upgrade before I make the jump...being in Canada where we have these lovely companies with their lovely monopolies and exorbitant contracts etc, Im still 18 months away from finishing...plenty of time to see some improvements.

stk
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #32
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Since we have so many on-hand users, can someone tell us if we can use keyboard shortcuts in e-mail? I am mainly interested in being able to type the name of the folder when moving e-mails or when opening e-mails in other folders and of course going to next unread while reading an e-mail. I assume these are not possible. Did BB at least include icons for next/previous and next unread on screen without digging into the menu?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No they did not. No next/previous. On my list. No next unread. Go back to the list (in the now-famous Hub)...
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
jimfraser

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

According to a BlackBerry exec. a third of BB10 users are coming from other platforms. There may be merit in RIM (why did they change - I think it is a much better name than Blackberry) focusing on the consumer market with the launch on a touch screen only device initially and not a particularly friendly introduction for BES customers who at least for now require a separate server for B10.

BlackBerry seeing one-third of BB10 users switch over from other platforms - FierceWireless
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Until they release true sales (not shipped) numbers at the end of March, I am not putting any stock in any of the reports.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
davidmagmedia
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100T
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It HAS speed dialling - and very easy to use as well. You press the phone icon, and you have up to 9 speed dials on the screen...each one measuring a good 3/4" by 3/4" square, with a full size HD colour icon (profile picture for that contact). You press the icon and that's your speed dial. A bit unintuitive to setup if you don't RTFM, but once you've done it a few times, it's a breeze. The only downside, is that you only get 9 speed dials. It should have a swipe left and right to get another 18 speed dials.
Do you think there is a need for a speed-dialing app?? Given as you say that the number of speed dials are so limited?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #37
The-Red-Elf

Model: 9000

This is interesting since I left a Bold 9000 as soon as Windows Phone came out. I jumped to Focus, still have it, and am looking at getting back to Blackberry. I missed the unified inbox compared to Windows Phone separate app/live tile for everything. The Hub concept appeals to me, but not being able to quickly select multiple messages and delete them would be a pain, but I have hope they get it fixed. From what I've read elsewhere they have addressed the battery concerns, can anyone confirm that?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #38
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Red-Elf View Post
This is interesting since I left a Bold 9000 as soon as Windows Phone came out. I jumped to Focus, still have it, and am looking at getting back to Blackberry. I missed the unified inbox compared to Windows Phone separate app/live tile for everything. The Hub concept appeals to me, but not being able to quickly select multiple messages and delete them would be a pain, but I have hope they get it fixed. From what I've read elsewhere they have addressed the battery concerns, can anyone confirm that?
I have a unified inbox on Windows Phone 8 on my Lumia.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #39
The-Red-Elf

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I have a unified inbox on Windows Phone 8 on my Lumia.
Are you talking about linking email inboxes, or does the inbox include all email messages, text messages, notifications, etc.?
I was slightly peeved that WP7 was basically just a stepping stone and the disappearing keyboard fix was never pushed out, at least by AT&T.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #40
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Red-Elf View Post
Are you talking about linking email inboxes, or does the inbox include all email messages, text messages, notifications, etc.?
I was slightly peeved that WP7 was basically just a stepping stone and the disappearing keyboard fix was never pushed out, at least by AT&T.
Just e-mail... I thought that's what you were talking about. Sorry for the mix-up.