BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
scrubjay

Model: 6510
Unhappy Newbie Beware!

Please Login to Remove!

If you are a Nextel Subscriber and are thinking about buying a Blackberry, beware! I recently purchased a NEW Blackbery 6510 on eBay with the idea that I could swap my activation from my Nextel i58SR to the 6510. I wasn't interested in the email or browsing features just the added capability of having a large "Address Book, Calendar, Tasks, and Memo Pad." Little did I know that Nextel WILL NOT activate your phone if you DO NOT accept one of the Blackberry plans. I spoke to 3 customer service reps and 2 supervisors without success. Now I have a real nice LCD screen Rock! I'll just use it as a PDA for now. Nice being able to type in all your stuff on the home computer and downloading it to the 6500 but I can't use it as a phone. BEWARE folks. Don't buy unless you want all of the Blackerry Services! I learned that lesson too late.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Caveat emptor. Let the buyer beware.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
William.H.Holla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT SPEED

All BBs need the data plan, what is the point of having a BB if your not gonna use it to its full potential. Syncing your calendar, appointments, and task are a nice feature, but that's not what the BB is for. Sorry that you are stuck with the 6510, you could try selling it on ebay, or sell its parts, and get a PalmPiolt.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
jscully
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yeah, activate it for a month and try it out. If you don't like it, switch back. But you'll like the push email. You will probably get buy on one of the smaller data plans if you don't browse too much and have moderate-heavy email use.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Nextel has a 30 day blackberry trial; if you don;t like it you choose one of the other phones. That was the offer they gave me when I first joined late last year.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
MixPix

Model: 7280

Sorry to hear that scrubjay. I have in the past used my BB with only a voice package, but now i don't want to go without a data plan.

I use Rogers up here in Canada and they let you have voice only, data only or both on it. I just thought I'd mention that for others that might be wondering.

Last edited by MixPix; 05-28-2005 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Sounds like you didnt do your homework before you made the purchase..
Old 05-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

. . . and the Mr. Helpful award goes to . . .
Old 05-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
ding !

Friends Dont Let Friends Call Nextel BlackBerry Support, They Direct Them To The Friendly BlackBerryForums.Com Support..

PIN: 40082120
Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
don_luciano674

Model: 7510

I just got the a Blackberry and took my sim card out of a i730 and put it in and it worked fine. I just called them and got the basic internet plan and i can check email and other goodies. Also you can import your numbers off the sim and put them in your Outlook and back on the Blackberry.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:31 AM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Have you recieved a bill yet I would be curious to see what happens. I was told the same thing from Nextel, that you can not have a BB with out a BB plan that even if I just put my sim card in and started using it once nextel discovered it they would automatically add the BB plan. So watch you bill closely.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
jwaters

Carrier: Nextel

Nextel can see what phones are on the network and once they find the BB without a data plan you will get charged. I'm not sure where you got the idea that you could just swap the SIM card, any sales person would have told you that you have to have the data plan with a BB.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #13
Don De

Model: 8830
Carrier: alltel

I am having problems posting symbals on BB Today Stocks. It comes back without giving the information. Any suggestions<
Old 05-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
rta53

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don De
I am having problems posting symbals on BB Today Stocks. It comes back without giving the information. Any suggestions<
My suggestion would be to post this in the correct discussion thread and you might get some help. Also try searching the forum.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.H.Holla
All BBs need the data plan, what is the point of having a BB if your not gonna use it to its full potential. Syncing your calendar, appointments, and task are a nice feature, but that's not what the BB is for. Sorry that you are stuck with the 6510, you could try selling it on ebay, or sell its parts, and get a PalmPiolt.
Actually, on GSM networks, it still works for phone calls and SMS. A BlackBerry still makes a superior PDA compared to regular cellphones. Many people buy a cheap old BlackBerry 6XXX off eBay for $50 and then use it as an entry level smartphone for organizer features and great SMS texting, without a BlackBerry plan. It's an unconvential use of a BlackBerry, but very legitimate considering the old ones make excellent inexpensive PDA phones. Version 4.0 operating systems upgrades pretty much put them on par with PalmPilots in essential organizer features, and BlackBerries are no longer poor PDA's anymore.

Works great on GSM networks. This does not work on Nextel, however.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 05-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
No Longer Registered.

Default Nothing is TOO LATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjay
If you are a Nextel Subscriber and are thinking about buying a Blackberry, beware! I recently purchased a NEW Blackbery 6510 on eBay with the idea that I could swap my activation from my Nextel i58SR to the 6510. I wasn't interested in the email or browsing features just the added capability of having a large "Address Book, Calendar, Tasks, and Memo Pad." Little did I know that Nextel WILL NOT activate your phone if you DO NOT accept one of the Blackberry plans. I spoke to 3 customer service reps and 2 supervisors without success. Now I have a real nice LCD screen Rock! I'll just use it as a PDA for now. Nice being able to type in all your stuff on the home computer and downloading it to the 6500 but I can't use it as a phone. BEWARE folks. Don't buy unless you want all of the Blackerry Services! I learned that lesson too late.

I just recently upgraded my Nextel from i860 (used it for 5 months) to the BB 7520 a lil over a month ago. What I know of, is that you cannot use your existing NEXTEL SIM card of an old phone (in my case it was even THAT old) for your Blackberry since BBs' SIMs are confirgured differently. I know this because when I got my BB 7520 and tried to swap my i860 SIM (the lazy way of uploading one's contact lists) to my new device.

When I updated my SIM and called "corporate accounts" (they have special department for corporate accounts), they did not push me into getting the data service plan which was $44 something extra on top of your Free Incoming Call Service Plan. Which in my case totals $87-95/month (luckily I have 18% discount because of my corporate account). But what good does it do getting a Blackberry if you will not use what's its basically designed for, right? Push emails and all.

I think it all boils to where you get your device -- Nextel did not push me to set up a Data Plan Service when I upgraded. Your case could be that you got it from ebay? I do not know.

But I'm sorry to hear about your purchase of your BB through eBay. I did purchase the t-mobile 7100t through ebay as well. It was brand new and got it for $276 but the moment I got it, qwerty keyboard just too small for my digits. Had to sell it for $200 the next day co'z I think it just wasn't worth switching to another carrier :(

Good luck! Incase you might need help with corporate accounts.. maybe there is something I can do....

Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #17
scrubjay

Thanks for the input. Nothing lost. I got it at a very good price. Works a lot better than my old PDA even without the phone.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #18
scrubjay

Smile Live and Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Right about that. Its just that I can't see paying more for the BB service than I pay for my DSL line. Its bad enough paying $80 for phone service. To add another $40-$50 just smarts too much. Next time I'll be more careful. Thanks for the advice.
Closed Thread