BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
srda310

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Smile SOLVED: Can I Disable the "auto off" backlight feature?

Please Login to Remove!

I naively assumed that when I installed the TeleNav software on my Cingular Pearl 8100 that it would override the Pearl's "Backlight Timeout" feature while I am navigating (as long as I am plugged into a power source).

It's very annoying (if not dangerous) to constantly be pushing a button every 2 mins., while driving, so I can see the navigation route.

In fact, TeleNav navigation aside, it's always been annoying to me that the phone's keyboard and screen go dark even if/when I am plugged into a power source.

Does anyone know of a trick that would enable me to disable the timeout feature when I'm plugged in and/or when using TeleNav?

Thanks in advance.

-dave

Last edited by srda310; 01-28-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Updating for Others to See Resolution
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

In preferences you have a choice of backlight on, backlight off, and On at Turns. Whenever you wonder about these types of "Can I" questions, at least on a BB, the first place to go is preferences. Other than Webmessenger and PocketDay most programs have few enough that they are easy to decipher. Let us know if that doesn't work.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
srda310

Thanks! I just turned on the TeleNav "Backlight: On at turns" feature which should help. I am also reading up on BBlight, which sounds useful too. I just have to find newbie info. on how to install Sourceforge Java applications.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
srda310

In case other BlackBerry newbies find this useful...

BBlight is a nifty little application that (among other things) allows you to set the backlighting to be "always on" when you are plugged into a power source of any kind (e.g., car charger). Not only does this solve the TeleNav problem I described above (setting the TeleNav option above is also useful when you are not plugged into power), but it also allows you to leave your screen and keyboard lit for other purposes.

At first, I was intimidated by the threads about JAR files and JAM files and so on, but by going to *blackberrytools dot sourceforge dot net/OverTheAir/* (I guess I can't include a real URL in my msgs yet b/c I am too new) from your BlackBerry Browser you simply click on the link for BBlight and it just installs the app. It was a piece of cake.

-dave
Closed Thread