Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
nostalgiaguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Please talk me out of buying AT&T Tilt

Please Login to Remove!

I love my BB 7130c, but am due an upgrade and have been looking. I hate the thought of giving up the BB, but the AT&T Tilt seems to offer a lot of what the BB 8820 is missing (ie 3G, camera, streaming, XM radio, etc), and it's gotten very good reviews from some of the electronics sites (in fact, better than the BB with WiFi units).

I encourage you to be very critical and let me know what I'll miss if I go from BB to Tilt.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaguru View Post
I love my BB 7130c, but am due an upgrade and have been looking. I hate the thought of giving up the BB, but the AT&T Tilt seems to offer a lot of what the BB 8820 is missing (ie 3G, camera, streaming, XM radio, etc), and it's gotten very good reviews from some of the electronics sites (in fact, better than the BB with WiFi units).

I encourage you to be very critical and let me know what I'll miss if I go from BB to Tilt.
Well you will be going into a reset hell. Constant resets from what I understand of people I know who have them. You can get the curve that has the camera you can stream on it as well.

You will be leaving a real push email for a device that has to be told to fetch your mail. A dependable device is always better than the next best gadget.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

omg just get the 8310 at ATT and you will never question your decision. You are using a 7130 now? For heaven's sake, you will think you are in a Porsche.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have sold many tilts and many BBs. The return rate on tilts about 50%

Return rate on BBs 12% approx

#1 reason sited for tilt to difficult to use and set up and OS to slow

Also many are returned for defects such as screen blanking out

#1 reason for BB "its just not for me" they decide to stick with a regular phone
Old 02-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

8310 don't think just do it
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
cjcarbone
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: K PANTHER
Carrier: ATT

HAAAAAA i had a 8525, pretty much the same as the TILT. The 8310 is so much better than it. The BB OS is super stable. never crashing, or resetting. It is also smaller and lighter. I also found the slider keyboard was a pain in the butt to use, and the keys are too small, and not raised up enough. One handed texting is not posible, and the ringer volume sucked the big one on it, way too low.You can do everything you asked on the 8310,and it wont crash or reset. Also, there is many 3rd party apps if you need something that isnt on it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
nostalgiaguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

What if I have some codes/certificates that get the price of the Tilt down to $99? And, I want Wifi - 8310 doesn't have that, correct?
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Apparently you haven't looked at the price of the 8310, then.

For WiFi, hold off a bit and ATT will have a device with WiFi, or get a used 8320 from Tmo off the Buy Sell boards here.

Or it you want the Tilt, just go get it. You have all the good reasons not to do so. If saving $30-50 bucks is your goal and you don't care the dependable service of the BB, then its a no brainer. Get the Tilt and be done.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Don't do it...ALL of the other kids will tease you relentlessly. Nuff Said.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

You need a reason...Windows Mobile. Good enough reason NOT to buy it.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Sometimes the allure of something new and different outweighs everything else.

I would check with AT&T and find out their return or exchange policy. If you are able to exchange the device within a certain amount of time (if you don't like it), then I would say go ahead and give the Tilt a try.

I will then expect to see an entry on the Rants and Raves section about how much better the Curve is then the Tilt
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

One thing that stands out about the Tilt is the weight. It's very solid feeling, which is good, but I can't imagine carrying that around in a pocket. It'd be like carrying a rock.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I think he just wants a tilt because of the price.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
...and it's gotten very good reviews from some of the electronics sites (in fact, better than the BB with WiFi units).
Keep in mind that these reviews are based on very limited experience with the device. Get some info from forums or whatever where people have actually used the device in day-to-day situations in the long term. That's actually much more important info to have than some thoughts from a tech reviewer.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
nostalgiaguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Believe me, I've always gotten great advice here. I definitely want to stay with the BB, but all of the other "electronics" sites (that sell all brands) I've visited rank the Tilt very high, both experts and users. In one site's ranking of the top 5 smartphones, #1 is AT&T Tilt and #2 is the BB 8320 (which isn't available to AT&T customers). The Tilt is also #2 on its Top 5 Cell Phones list, behind the IPhone (BB 8130 is #5).

So, I guess being able to get the Tilt, retail of $549, for $99 is very tempting. And, I'm not sure the weight will bother me as it's only a couple of ounces more than the 7130c I'm using.

At this point, I'm not sold, just tempted.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Out of curiosity, why is the WiFi such a top priority?

I had a 7130 last year before the Curve came out ... used that trusty 7130 for eight months (nearly a record for me). The Curve was a breath of fresh air after using an 8700 and 7130.

For me, neither WiFi or GPS are terribly important, but it's just because of where I live and work neither are very useful so forgive me for not understanding the appeal of WiFi.

I've also owned five different WM devices in the past seven months ... Sprint Mogul, T Mobile Dash, BlackJack, BlackJack II and Pantech Duo. I kept the BlackJack II the longest -- two months -- but they all just drove me crazy for all the reasons others have already stated.

Plain and simple, the BlackBerry is just solid, usable and reliable in ways that Windows Mobiles devices never can be. Part of the reason for that is the fact that even with the Curve series the device is not trying to be a jack of all trades so you do sacrifice some bells and whistles. But, I've come to realize that I don't need or want and definitely don't use all those bells and whistles.

So, what it comes down to is this: What's most important to you? Do you want a messaging centric device, i.e. the BlackBerry? Or do you want an all in one device with all the bells and whistles?

That being said, Tilt refurbs are going for $149 on Premier, and I'm very tempted to jump on that deal. I can't seem to stop trying to like WM despite the fact that I know every time it's going to piss me off.
Maybe this time I'll get a device that can fetch me all my email, do calls and Internet, help me manage my appointments and have decent battery life. Ah, well, a girl can dream, right?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
nostalgiaguru
Thumbs Must Hurt

My profile is this:

1) I'm a very heavy email user, 5 accounts, 1 business. I answer my work emails roughly 18 hours a day and all weekend, even while walking or at the gym.

2) Heavy internet surfer, can't imagine an hour going by without searching for something.

3) Regular SMS and telephone usage.

4) Synced with Outlook for addresses, tasks, and appointments.

5) Listen to XM radio while walking, in car, and at work, roughly 12 hours daily.

6) Huge entertainment geek -- music, and video, and would love streaming sources, the ability to watch ball games, Slingbox applications, etc.

7) I work in a building on a college campus, and often lose my EDGE when I find myself in a meeting in the recesses of the buildings on the campus. So, since the campus in fully WiFi, this would be a plus.

8) Could make use of software that would easily allow me to share presentations at an office meeting by tethering to my smartphone, perhaps PowerPoint.

So, now you know me. What's the verdict?

PS - I used a PocketPC for three years before buying the 7130c.

Last edited by nostalgiaguru; 02-07-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You "were" a heavy email user.
You "were" a heavy internet surfer.
You've never used a Curve have you?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
Seand1111
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Believe me, I've always gotten great advice here. I definitely want to stay with the BB, but all of the other "electronics" sites (that sell all brands) I've visited rank the Tilt very high, both experts and users. In one site's ranking of the top 5 smartphones, #1 is AT&T Tilt and #2 is the BB 8320 (which isn't available to AT&T customers). The Tilt is also #2 on its Top 5 Cell Phones list, behind the IPhone (BB 8130 is #5).

So, I guess being able to get the Tilt, retail of $549, for $99 is very tempting. And, I'm not sure the weight will bother me as it's only a couple of ounces more than the 7130c I'm using.

At this point, I'm not sold, just tempted.
Go check out the "forums" section on the ATT web site and read what users a posting about the TILT.

Here, I will help you.

AT&T/Cingular (HTC) - Wireless Forums from AT&T

I to was tempted, but that soon changed.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208

I thought the Tilt has BB connect or whatever that feature was called now.
Closed Thread