Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #81
weileong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Celcom Malaysia

Please Login to Remove!

before upgrade to 4.6.0.150 mine unit is 4.60.126 , i had msn,yaho,googletalk , my battery can drain within 4hours!!!!!!!

and i dunno why, and if you notice the unit is very warm even in standby mode...anything wrong with the unit ?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #82
Ikurtmal

Model: 9K
PIN: 25587317
Carrier: Celcom MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by weileong View Post
before upgrade to 4.6.0.150 mine unit is 4.60.126 , i had msn,yaho,googletalk , my battery can drain within 4hours!!!!!!!

and i dunno why, and if you notice the unit is very warm even in standby mode...anything wrong with the unit ?

mine also getting warm when I put my BB sync to the desktop. Im scared if any problem with battery? Im thinking of to upgrade my OS. Can somebody suggest me which link can be used for upgrading the OS.

thanks is advance
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #83
othernet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: MOX

I think the OS is still very buggy. Upgraded to the 4.6.0.263 and still have to do a battery pull to correct anomalies. The LED will be blinking red for no reason - checked and there were no new messages or other alerts, but it will just continue to blink red for no reason.

This thing really sucks the battery life too. By evening, I am down to 1 bar!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #84
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Maxis

Upgrading doesn't seem to solve any probs, seems to give more probs. Correct me if i'm wrong. hehehe... Anyhow, 3G services are known to suck-up batt and doesn't help to prolong it. My current batt with os.126 can last about 12 hours with the following conditions:

1. Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Gmail, Personal Mail
- Receive on average 10 mails per mail
- Replies & forwards another 5 per mail
- On average 60 mails in & out
- Can get a high of 100+ mails on alternate days

2. Yahoo Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger
- Constant Messaging throughout the day

3. Other apps like Facebook, WorldMate Live, etc.

4. GPS everyday to office & back from office

5. Surfing (30mins max)

6. Phone calls (2-3 hours worth per day)

7. SMS (50+ incoming & 30-40 outgoing)

With all these running for the 12hrs, It really isn't that bad. If you're phone's on standby and don't use any of the apps, not much calls or smses, perhpas it can last longer. It would be great to prolong the batt life to about 20-24hrs so that charging intervals are not every day or so. Many have claimed that .147 and above OS' will be able to solve that, however have seen many refute that too. SIGH!!! Oh well, will just wait and see then.

My curve runs on BES with only Corporate Mails, occasional replying. That lasts me more than 2 days without charging. I don't use any other apps on the curve. Judge for yourselves. Seems its the case of Performance over Battery Life. Unless RIM can strike that balance with a GOOD OS, then we'll be in heaven! ahahaha....

The device get's a bit warm during charging. No idea why.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #85
Ikurtmal

Since on first day used, I changed the network from to 2G instead of 2G & 3G to avoid my battery drinking fast, about this I still have 90% power since fully charged last nite.....
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #86
arul
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: maxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikurtmal View Post
Since on first day used, I changed the network from to 2G instead of 2G & 3G to avoid my battery drinking fast, about this I still have 90% power since fully charged last nite.....
i think that's a good idea. i guess just switch back to 3G when were want to surf or download large attachments (unlikely tho).

i think i'll refrain from updating my OS for now. I just backed up my data, wiped the device and restored everything (instead of just emails and resync which I planned to do at first) and the unit seems to work a little better now - analog clock icon not showing up too often. But the memory leak is still there and I find myself resetting the device once a day or so.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #87
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Celcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by weileong View Post
The funny thing was , When Celcom advertised in Star newspaper , I called the no which provided by celcom , they pass the line around and nobody notice the BBB is open for pre booking...so u can imagine how "talent" they are..
I did say that there was problems with their careline, but they still ended up with the phone earlier than Maxis without any upset customers over no stock (and overbooking)...

plus i did say that when i called on the day that i picked up and spoke to some guy in the powertools phoneline, they didn't have a clue!! bah
Old 09-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #88
lostangel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD

Why don't you guys just put the phone or charge all the time to solve the battery problem..?

If you're on the road, put it on the car charger when driving, if you're at the office plug it to your laptop or desktop to charge, and if you're at home put it on the wall charger...

As you know this is Lithium battery, so you can charge it a million times over and it won't affect the battery life one bit...
Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #89
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

i guess doing that all the time would get kind of annoying. Some people don't like charging their phone all the time. Plus, there are a few bugs in the phone where available memory isn't cleared whenever applications are closed and i've come across the problem with the mini thinking clock icon coming up all the time. The battery gets drained and the phone overheats whenever that happens.

I think just turning off all the wireless functions whenever you're not using them.

Plus, i think just charging it once a day (overnight) is sufficient, unless you're a heavy user.

Can't wait for the accessories to come! I want the desk charger (and possibly a spare battery). For travel, there are also rechargeable chargers that you can plug into the phone to charge on the go.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #90
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, good point on charging all the time. Am doing it for the past few days. Whenever i'm at my desk, i'll just plug it in. That solves it. Another thing I noticed is that Yahoo Messenger will suck up allot of juices. Seems when I log-off and it's not running, batt life seems ok for me. The changing of 3G & 2G to only 2G works well too. As suspected, when the device hits 3G areas, this sucks up allot of battery man!

So far so good. Just waiting for the Pod Charger to launch on BB website. Need that urgently. Just don't like to see my Bold on the desk lying flat. I've got a Pod Charger for my curve & it looks sweet on my desktop. Once I get my hands on the BOLD's pod, it'll be even better. Hehehe...
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #91
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

A good site to keep in bookmarks. Just in case of accidents (touch wood)... ehehehe... don't know if RIM will offer these on their accessories page. But if you're in need of parts, this is the place to go. I think they deliver to most of the world. Cheers!

9000 - BlackBerry, Acer, LG, Alcatel, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, Dopod/O2, Microsoft, So
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #92
Ikurtmal

I got another problem with my BOLD since lastnite. My vodafone Celcom email was failed to send out the message and it will show the X symbol in my inbox with the message status: Message included an invalid address!

WTH!!! I was double confirmed that it was a correct email address.

I have tried to do hard reset by pull out the battery many times but the result is still the same. Kindly advise if anybody has been experience with this situation.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ikurtmal; 09-23-2008 at 07:41 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #93
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk11 View Post
A good site to keep in bookmarks. Just in case of accidents (touch wood)... ehehehe... don't know if RIM will offer these on their accessories page. But if you're in need of parts, this is the place to go. I think they deliver to most of the world. Cheers!

9000 - BlackBerry, Acer, LG, Alcatel, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia, Dopod/O2, Microsoft, So
oooh, they have the unbranded bottom bar... i'm still deciding whether i like the vodafone logo at the bottom of my bold...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #94
feverish

Hi Guys,

I just gotten my Bold also from Maxis Sunway Pyramid.
Nice to have it since I'm upgrading from Curve to Bold.

Do you guys hold any meetup for Malaysian Blackberry Users?
I'd love to join. : )

Oh by the way, I asked the Maxis Trainer (who gave me my pre-booked) Bold on where to get the screen protector, he said try Ground Flr, Summit USJ.

I went there and trying to find a shop with RIM logo, but to no avail.

Any idea where I can get the screen protector? My Curve only use a similar Nokia N70 gotten from Novacell Subang Parade.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #95
gfunk11
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've searched high & low for the BOLD's screen protector. Well it seems it really is difficult to find the exact one. Might try to see if the Windows Mobile devices like HTC TYTNII or HTC Diamond has the same dimensions, if so, that's the one to use. Lowyat is your best bet to find some. Just go into the store that has tons of parts, surely they'll have something that can work out.

Hadn't had the time to go, maybe tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #96
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

i ordered a set from BodyGuardz - Scratch-Proof Transparent Protective Skins for Mobile Devices ... it protects the whole phone! it's a bit on the expensive side, and you have to order it from the states, but i think it's worth it

there's also the security screen thing which looks interesting
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #97
feverish

jaui,

$24.95 is definitely pricey. Unless somebody wanted to buy in bulk, I'd love to join in.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #98
weileong

Model: 9700
Carrier: Celcom Malaysia
Talking

for screen protector , I get 5" dopod and custom "Cut" the shape..although not original but nearly to 90% satisfaction.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #99
jaui
Thumbs Must Hurt

it's pricey, but it does come in sets of 2... so if someone wants to order in bulk, i could be US$12.50 a piece. can't wait to get mine so that i don't have to worry about scratches...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 PM   #100
arul
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: maxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk11 View Post
<snip>
So far so good. Just waiting for the Pod Charger to launch on BB website. Need that urgently. Just don't like to see my Bold on the desk lying flat. I've got a Pod Charger for my curve & it looks sweet on my desktop. Once I get my hands on the BOLD's pod, it'll be even better. Hehehe...

I too like the pod charger - and am looking to get it for my office. if you're getting it, can "tumpang" order to save on shipping? I wonder how much it

On the screen protector, I am still using the RIM supplied one for now but have ordered an invisible shield for the unit which I'll probably only get towards the end of next week or the week after.
Closed Thread