BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Lennyj17

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Are you surrounded by a Blackberry culture?

Please Login to Remove!

I work for a fortune 100 company HQ'd in Midtown Manhattan as a Ad-Sales Analyst (I.e Looking at Charts and creating reports All Day)...

I deal with over 75 Sales Reps and 25 Account Executives scattered across the country, needless to say my job is almost always demanding...We're talking someone who will clear out 50 emails before he goes out on lunch and by the time we get to the restaurant my blackberry is lit up with another 35 emails....SO I NEED MY BLACKBERRY!

But the culture set by my company is Email and IM from anywhere, you need to be accessible...My company has well over 6k blackberries issued in the country and 2500 just its NYC Locations alone and we solely use Sprint and ATT blackberries that mostly consist of Curves, 8800s and 8700s with some 7200s still scattered about and Bolds are starting to trickle in.....

My company and NYC for that matter has such a Blackberry Culture that its mind blowing (I kid you not with this story of my day on Thursday)-

- I leave the apartment to wait for the Express bus 3 people (Including myself) are on their BB at the bus stop...

-On the Express Bus (Mostly working/business class uses this bus) as we approach the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel for Manhattan I happen to notice that
there's at least 5-6 ppl using their blackberries at this very moment because of that distinct clicking that the keys make..I know it well.

-Get to my office building get into a jammed elevator with about 12 people jammed in...Of the 12, 7 of them have their blackberries out checking them and 2 are actually typing.

- 10:30 first meeting with 16 other analyst, only one brings her laptop...Everyone else blackberries OUT holding down their papers (Myself included in this)...Lights go out for the presentation...The Instructor kindly ask all to turn off our Blackberries and says since this is 2 hr meeting every 30mins we'll stop for a 7 min blackberry break...Never heard anyone use that term for a break in my life before.

- 12:30 going to lunch with 3 other co-workers get to the restaurant you guessed it...Blackberries out on the table next to us like they were silverware....Even the a guy attending a business lunch next to us was using 7520 Nextel I noticed.

- 2:15 coming back to the office - again Elevator full of Blackberry users.

- 4pm Another meeting with just 7 people this time...Blackberries out, Even the person giving the presentation has her blackberry out in plain view...and even stops the conference at one point because she needed to answer an email. Then we all check ours right behind her, like it was some kind of signal to check your emails NOW!

- 7pm at the express bus stop to go home I'm almost in shock that not one person was checking their blackberry while waiting for the bus...Might have been how cold it was...Bus comes we board as I walk to the back of the almost full bus I noticed that 100% of this bus is doing one of 4 things - Sleeping, Reading, Working on a Laptop, Or WORKING ON THEIR BLACKBERRIES (I counted 8 people on Blackberries sure there was more) I made 9 once I sat down and got comfortable...By the time we were out of Manhattan and Into Brooklyn i think most Blackberries were put a way by then.

I just found it amazing of the Culture the Blackberry has on the Working Class in this City. NYC has to be the BB capital of US maybe North America.

Have you experienced this same thing where you live and/or work?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (NSA satellite uplink)

I see that all the time. Whenever I go to lunch with co-workers, 85% of the ppl where we're at are typing away while ordering their food. I've had ppl ask me on a regular basis about apps and new BB's that are coming out that would make their jobs easier. Even in the mall while walking around I see tons of ppl typing away. My kids and I even play a game where they try to guess what model they are using.

It's our new culture and it won't be going away anytime soon. Kids are even using Blackberry's more then sidekicks and any of those other QWERTY flip phones.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight

Last edited by audit; 02-21-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I am in that culture at certain levels. Some are power users, while others use it more to read emails and occasionally respond on a PC

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

My wife teases me because I have a tendancy to notice what devices people are using when we are out in public. For example, when we went to Disneyland a couple of years ago, I made the observation that I was surprised that the adolescents we saw didn't necessarily all have Sidekicks. And I wonder why she introduces me to people as "my husband, the phone geek"...

Maybe not so much a BlackBerry culture in my area, but definately a PDA culture. Along with BlackBerrys, I see plenty of iPhones and HTC devices. Not nearly as many Samsung, Nokia, etc.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
audit
Whoever

I actually do the same thing when out with my wife and kids. My son's always pointing out the one's that I miss. It's a fun game. My son's been wanting either my 8820 or 8310 now I've upgraded to a Bold and I told him he has to wait until he get's a job and can afford to pay the data plan on it.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'm in the culture for sure (I have owned over 20 BlackBerry devices in the last 3 years), but in the last year or so, I have consciously exercised a lot more restraint with regard to my device. I don't use it in meetings or working lunches, don't take it on dates, don't take it on vacation, and normally leave it at home on the weekend. I will also sometimes forward the phone portion to my iPhone so that I can still receive calls but I don't have to deal with messages. I still remain very accessible (I answer 99% of my calls and messages), but I now feel more comfortable with making myself inaccessible when I so choose.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I'm not constantly surrounded by BlackBerrys, but I do see more and more of them in everyday activities. I also try to figure out which models people are using. I see a lot of people using other devices, too, but it seems like the percentage of BlackBerrys is becoming higher. Even some of the field RNs at one company I work for are now using them and some of these women are/were seriously tech challenged.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
My wife teases me because I have a tendancy to notice what devices people are using when we are out in public. For example, when we went to Disneyland a couple of years ago, I made the observation that I was surprised that the adolescents we saw didn't necessarily all have Sidekicks. And I wonder why she introduces me to people as "my husband, the phone geek"...

Maybe not so much a BlackBerry culture in my area, but definately a PDA culture. Along with BlackBerrys, I see plenty of iPhones and HTC devices. Not nearly as many Samsung, Nokia, etc.
I do the same thing, and ever since I got my BB I can't help but notice what everyone else is using. A majority of friends and family have some sort of smart phone (centro, Vu, blackjack, iphone, other BBs, etc). It's odd how addicting it's become for all of us. Myself and friends and family who have these phones always talk about what they can do and we share tips and tricks with each other. My wife makes fun of me too, especially when I get all giggly about some new electronic gadget.

At my work the bosses have nextel BBs, but I don't talk to them much about the phone, let alone anything else for that matter... lol
Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Lennyj17

Model: 8330

Yea people had other phones, but I was only noticing BB's in particular.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
Tony Scott

Model: 9000

Its interesting that you say that NYC has to be the BlackBerry capital of the world. Washington, DC has to run a close second. Everyone has a BlackBerry. Even President Obama had to get a special one made for hime to use. the President wouldn't give up his crackberry.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
MarkF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT

My wife would rather I have an affair than a Blackberry.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
audit
Whoever

Ha! my wife thinks I'm having an affair with my Blackberry. She told me I spend more time with it and spend more $ on it then I do her.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Ha! my wife thinks I'm having an affair with my Blackberry. She told me I spend more time with it and spend more $ on it then I do her.
Thankfully my lady is also an addict, so she is not bothered by my addiction.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: BIG RED

yup the blackberry numbers are climbing i cant go anywhere w/o seeing someone walk about with their berry in their hands @ the market, bank, coffee shop,gym and now seeing kids.. i mean come on why does a 10yr old have to check his email to confirm a play date... pfft
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #15
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Thankfully my lady is also an addict, so she is not bothered by my addiction.
so let me guess, you have the pink on and she has the slick black one, right?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 313D86F5

I feel like less of a man without my bb
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

the BlackBerry culture is beginning to catch on in a big way here.

its not just for emails and work, our bb culture goes all the way to the bbm. everyone is on it. and each person is trying to outdo the other as to who has more contacts.

but now every second person has a bb but more than for work, it's for bbm!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Meyefull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: stack Sucks
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
My wife would rather I have an affair than a Blackberry.

hahahahahhahah wow
Post of the day?
LOL
Old 04-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
gte773h
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Yeap but I work in the tech industry so all we deal with is toys ... Blackberrys are the best tool in business.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #20
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

In Asia, I see the same culture. Except that everyone seems to be doing this on Nokias, Samsungs and Sony Ericssons. Lately the iPhone too. And maybe a few Motorolas here and there. Its amazing to see how people can type so fast just using a tiny T9 keyboard.

When I eat in a restaurant or in public, without looking at the phone but simply from the hand gestures or movement, I can tell if the person is holding a Blackberry or a Nokia. More on the thumb, if the person is scrolling a trackball or pressing a joystick. Most of the time, the Blackberry users are expatriates, traveling businessmen from the US or Canada, or Asians that work, live or naturalized in NA and is visiting their relatives.

There is still so much of the world RIM has to conquer.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-05-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Closed Thread