BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Default Random Backlight Activation HTC Tilt

Please Login to Remove!

I recently purchased an AT&T Tilt with BlackBerry Connect on it. It seems to work great, better than M$ Active Synch in fact. but, I am having an issue with the backlight.

When I manually lock the device with the power button, the backlight seems to come on randomly. Even when I set it on the desk, it comes on randomly and then goes back off after a minute or two. I put it into the case and almost everytime I go to take it out, the backlight is on.

Obviously this is an issue of battery life. I have tried disabling anything I could find related to the backlight, timeouts, notifications etc. It just keeps happening.

I have been searching google for a solution and I am not alone. It seems to be unrelated to third party software as far as I can tell and it's been happening since Windows Mobile 5.

I am curious, has anyone else experienced this on their HTC or other Windows Mobile Device and did you ever find a resolution?

Thanks

Last edited by BES admin; 10-09-2007 at 01:43 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Talking Answer to my own question...

Well, as it turns out, I believe I have solved this issue. I haven't had the problem for several days now. I can explain what I did to fix it, but maybe someone can explain WHY...

MSN Messenger was enabled when I first got the phone. I set it up with my messenger name and login and all was well. I decided like all Windows OS's that after I played with all the tweaks, it was in need to a refresh. So... I performed a hard ROM reset and started from scratch.

Apparently, the issue with the backlight was related to my Messenger setup prior to the wipe. When I initiated the wipe, I was signed into messenger on the Mobile device. Since the wipe, I had the backlight coming on randomly and then going off, day and night no matter the power configuration.

This went on for two days. I found an obscure web page alluding to the issue and saying it was tied to the messenger client and how if it was running when the device was wiped, the problem arose.

I realized that since I had wiped the device, I had not logged into messenger on my desktop. So, I logged in on my desktop, which would log any other sessions off, and VOILA! my handheld issue with the backlight stopped imediately.

I am assuming that somehow there was a ping from the carrier to my device, left open from the messenger session which was running at the time of the device wipe.

2.5 days and counting and no issue.

Last edited by BES admin; 10-11-2007 at 09:53 PM..