Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Weilun37

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sintel
Default HELP!! BB 8520 Wi-Fi probs

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys, I'm a total BB noob from Singapore.

Firstly, how would I know if I'm connected to the internet using GPRS or Wi-Fi?

Secondly, would turning off my Mobile Network but turning on my Data Services and Wi-Fi allow me to use the internet purely with Wi-fi?

Thirdly, I did the above mentioned configuration but I couldn't access some (not all) websites. It tells me "the radio on the device is currently turned off or the battery is too low for the radio to be used". This is despite my phone being fully charged.

Lastly, how can I use the net purely by Wi-Fi and not GPRS? (The GPRS charge is crazily high!)

HELP!

P.S. I do not have a BB Data Plan. But my understanding is I could still access the net using Wi-Fi only...
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Weilun37

umm.. no help at all?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

May I assume that you did not use the SEARCH feature? Similar questions have been answered many times over.

May I also assume that you did not read the WiFi section of the FAQ? BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

And also this: What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ ?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Weilun37

-EDITED-

I'm editing this post because I realised it sounded offensive..

All I wanted to say was "I'm sorry if it cause you any trouble. I did do a search but nothing clearly explained my problems. I know what a BB data plan is for. But I really needed to know that if I went to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options and turned my Data Services on, and went to Manage Connections and turned my Wi-Fi on and Mobile Network off, will I be accessing the net through GPRS or Wi-Fi?"

Maybe it has been explained. But I'm a BB and tech noob. So I have absolutely no understanding of any technical terms. And as far as my search has went, I haven't been given a clear explanation.

Therefore, once again, I'm sorry for any trouble caused

Last edited by Weilun37; 01-28-2010 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
misteplix

Carrier: movistar

Hello my men, so i have a new 8520 MY FIRST BB!, so lets try to find out because i've been kind same trouble... ok

ONE You can view a logo of WiFi when you are connectect if not try to change the theme of the device (it display some different according with the theme),

SECOND Yes! you can switch of the movil signal and only use the web via WiFi and there is some pages or services (Maps, RSS, Messenger Live) that need to you have a data service (BIS or else) with your company. YOU DON'T NEED TO MOVE THE CONFIGURATION OF THE DATA SERVICE, remember my friend.
Finaly to switch of GPRS (or EDGE) just go to the connection manager (the icon with the antenna) ant just turn of the movil signal and turn on the WiFi

Hope you can solve the problem, i do contract a data service finally but a limited traffic, i'm happy with the results.
Greetings
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
misteplix

Carrier: movistar

Oh by the way, i think the moderator was a little rude about it, this forum is for and by every one who has a BB device and for help each other, people like you and me who has non knowledge about some technologies, we are all the forum

greetings moderator jijiji from Mexico
Old 01-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Weilun37

Thank you so much for this confirmation :D
Closed Thread