Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
cjpitsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default Restoring Apps Following .148 OS Upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

What is the correct process on backing up apps and personal settings before updating from .75 to .148? Once the new OS is loaded, what are the steps to then restore settings (ringtones, etc) and apps back to way they were before the OS upgrade? Thx in advance...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

if you let DM update your phone with a newer OS, it takes care of backup and restore for you. but for your piece of mind, before you execute the update, do this:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html

that way you will have an additional backup of your 3rd party apps.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
cjpitsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
if you let DM update your phone with a newer OS, it takes care of backup and restore for you. but for your piece of mind, before you execute the update, do this:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html

that way you will have an additional backup of your 3rd party apps.
Thx for the advise. Are you suggesting the backup and resore steps only? Is there a need to also perform the wipe procedure?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
zero7404

maybe you should give some details about what you want to do. if i'm reading correctly, you have a 9530 with .75 and you want to go to .148, right ?

i assume you have a compliment of 3rd party apps on the phone, some emails, texts, phone logs, pictures, memos, etc....

i also assume you use the desktop manager interface to do your updating. no you do not need to wipe the device.

as a precautionary step, i would say you should uninstall your desktop manager AND the 9530 OS from your pc. then restart your pc, download and install the latest dm and the .148 OS.

then start dm, plug your phone in. don't upgrade yet (say no to the prompt). do your backup from the backup/restore option. also do any syncing you have set up. then last do the backup of your 3rd party apps as it's shown in the link i posted.

after that, you can go ahead and upgrade using DM.

in this way, if anything goes wrong, you always have your data sitting somewhere on your computer. but i doubt this, if you make sure that the rim software on your pc was installed clean as i suggested.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
cjpitsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
maybe you should give some details about what you want to do. if i'm reading correctly, you have a 9530 with .75 and you want to go to .148, right ?

i assume you have a compliment of 3rd party apps on the phone, some emails, texts, phone logs, pictures, memos, etc....

i also assume you use the desktop manager interface to do your updating. no you do not need to wipe the device.

as a precautionary step, i would say you should uninstall your desktop manager AND the 9530 OS from your pc. then restart your pc, download and install the latest dm and the .148 OS.

then start dm, plug your phone in. don't upgrade yet (say no to the prompt). do your backup from the backup/restore option. also do any syncing you have set up. then last do the backup of your 3rd party apps as it's shown in the link i posted.

in this way, if anything goes wrong, you always have your data sitting somewhere on your computer. but i doubt this, if you make sure that the rim software on your pc was installed clean as i suggested.

Yes your assumptions are correct. Thx much I will proceed as you have outlined above. Best regards...
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
cjpitsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Question - Where would I find the 9530 OS installed on my PC? DM is listed in add/remove program list on my PC (Win-XP), but where is the reference to the Storm OS?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
zero7404

if you only have DM and the OS installed on your PC, then go to add/remove programs and remove the packages listed as Blackberry handheld software and Blackberry desktop manager....

the latest DM you can get from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

the latest 9530 software you can get from here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

just follow the directions in the 2nd post for installing everything. your profile shows you're using verizon, so deleting the vendor.xml file wouldn't be necessary for you, unless you are using the phone with another carrier....
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
zero7404

so...how did it work out 4 u ?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
cjpitsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
so...how did it work out 4 u ?
The migration from .75 to .148 was really smooth. I uninstalled DM, downloaded and installed the latest release. I changed back to the stock theme on my Storm. Performed a current backup, including the 3rd party apps. I installed the new VZW OS on my PC. However I did have to delete the vendor file for some reason for DM to recognize the upgrade. Once completed all my apps and profile were just the way I left them. Since I'm behind our Corp BES, I requested an Enterprise Activation to get my Outlook files (email, tasks, contacts, etc) functioning correctly. The only thing I'm experience a slight problem with DM. Before upgrading DM, I never saw the Synchronize option. The new DM has it. I would like to eliminate DM connecting to the message center, since everything we do is wirelessly sync'd. There are a few kinks, but I believe it is related to BES.

I am not experiencing the issues other forum users have reported. No unusual battery drain or memory leakage. This has been a far overdue upgrade. Thx for all your help. You have made this very uneventful!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
zero7404

no problem....here to help....

i have since moved on to try my hand for a second time at a hybrid OS for my 9530. the bottom line for me is i like using bb's and don't really have a 'need' or business-oriented purpose. my first mistake was to buy the 9530 since i wasn't planning on getting on verizon's network, the 9500 is a less buggy phone and i hear the OS releases for that model have been smoother than the 9530's....

but so far my phone is running really slick. i'm using bbcrackman's hybrid version 7 and i can say my experience on the phone has been more stable and more better in every way than any other beta or official release i've used....

sorry i am not sure about helping out with the message center problem you're having....i simply use DM for personal backup/admin of my phone, just BIS.

i also dumped outlook in favor of thunderbird a while ago, so i did away with outlook syncing since with thunderbird contacts and calendar direct sync with bb's is not really available.

Last edited by zero7404; 06-17-2009 at 01:24 PM..
Old 06-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

I have found that the process zero7404 specified is the best way to go, with one caveat for me... I tend to just reinstall applications from scratch after the new OS is installed, just in case some applications do not copy over good to the new OS. Speaking of which, I will be doing this for my Storm probably this coming weekend. Fun times !
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
I have found that the process zero7404 specified is the best way to go, with one caveat for me... I tend to just reinstall applications from scratch after the new OS is installed, just in case some applications do not copy over good to the new OS. Speaking of which, I will be doing this for my Storm probably this coming weekend. Fun times !
reinstalling the apps manually is better than having dm or apploader restore from backup, since it eliminates data corruption due to backup/restore....

but i have yet to experience problem with a 3rd party app using the backup/restore method. could be the nature of the bb system, it's pretty well designed.

remembering back when i had an ipod touch, for the short time i owned it, i did have problems with the app system installing apps correctly. in addition to corruption with some apps after an ipod update.

from what i've seen so far, OS's like Blackberry, WebOS, Android seem to be doing pretty well....