Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
ref18
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus
Default Excellent Battery Life

Please Login to Remove!

Am I the only one getting good battery life with my 8800?

I got it Saturday, gave it a full charge, it took until to today to fully decharge it, and now it's fully charged again an hour later.

This phone rocks, quickest charging time of any blackberry i've owned.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

I get great battery life with my 8830. I can go 3-4 days if I am in the office and 2 days on the road with moderate to heavy use.

I feel sorry for some of the folks who seem to be struggling, my 8830 has been wonderful. I'm happy
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The large battery is one reason I didn't get upgrade to the Curve.

I get about 3 days' charge out of my battery. That include listening to mp3 on the way to/from work and tons of email from work.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Nice! I get about 2 days with my 8700g with moderate to heavy use. Maybe the 83xx device dropping for T-Mobile (whenever) will have excellent battery life, too.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Nice! I get about 2 days with my 8700g with moderate to heavy use. Maybe the 83xx device dropping for T-Mobile (whenever) will have excellent battery life, too.
fyi: 8300 uses the same battery as the 8700.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18 View Post
Am I the only one getting good battery life with my 8800?

I got it Saturday, gave it a full charge, it took until to today to fully decharge it, and now it's fully charged again an hour later.

This phone rocks, quickest charging time of any blackberry i've owned.

What other apps do you have on device. For example, do you have a messenger program? I ask because that could drain your battery.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
fyi: 8300 uses the same battery as the 8700.

right, but the battery isn't what always dictates battery life...in other words, the device could be more efficient
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
dsm42

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Hmmm.... I have a brand new 8830, and it doesn't even make it through a single day of moderate use. After only a few hours of standby, it was already down to 65% (and I believe this was with bluetooth turned off!)

Any explanations for why this is so much worse than others experience? Should I exchange it for another (maybe I just got a bad battery?)

Dave.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

8800 seems to get much more time than the 8830's not sure why but definitely alot of complaints about 8830 battery life.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I found that if I let my battery drain down to 15% or so from whatever amount (usually 40% or less..) us on the battery at delivery...and then do a full overnight charge, I get great life from a battery.

I am getting a solid 2.5-days from my 8800 and almost 48-hours on my 8300.

That ain't half bad, IMO.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm42 View Post
Hmmm.... I have a brand new 8830, and it doesn't even make it through a single day of moderate use. After only a few hours of standby, it was already down to 65% (and I believe this was with bluetooth turned off!)

Any explanations for why this is so much worse than others experience? Should I exchange it for another (maybe I just got a bad battery?)

Dave.
Max The Battery Life Of Your New BlackBerry

Battery life is known to be excellent on many BlackBerry models, such as the model 7280. However, other models such as the 7750 and 7100 often have shorter battery life. There are some scattered reports of new 7250 users having extremely short battery life, including one person who sent me a PM message.

Try this if you are a new BlackBerry owner.
1. You need to break in the BlackBerry battery. Charge-discharge it fully about 3 times. This will max the battery life of a fresh, new Lithium ion.
Note: once you do that, don't get in the habit of fully discharging the battery every time -- to prevent wearing it out -- lithium batteries can be damaged with excessive deep discharges like a car battery can be.... When breaking in the battery, make sure you keep it plugged in long after the battery says it is fully charged (i.e. overnight), you really want to trickle-charge your BlackBerry to top-off your battery.

2. Lithium batteries LOVE to be topped-off. In regular use (After initial first-use conditioning), plug it in whenever you have the opportunity. This will also help keep the battery life maxed out for those days you really need long battery life.

3. If you are constantly starved for battery power, avoid continuously real-time software such as BBToday software; it uses a lot of battery power.

4. Keep your Bluetooth turned off when not in use.

5. If you use Verichat or other instant messaging software, leave it running in the background or quit it when not in use. Also, stay logged off the networks you do not use much.
Keep Verichat running in the background when it is not in use. This puts the software in a low-power state by reducing the frequency of contact-list refreshes (signoffs/signons/away mode/etc) Using fewer instant messaging networks also saves battery power. For example, if mainly use MSN and AIM, log off the ICQ and Yahoo networks.

6. When using your BlackBerry, make sure you keep the backlight turned low or off whenever possible (rather than bright mode).
Most BlackBerry screens (except 7100) is very readable with the backlight turned off, especially in bright office lighting and outdoor lighting.

7. Some BlackBerries have an extended battery available, such as the Nextel 7510. There may be an extended battery product for your specific BlackBerry product.

8. There's the novelty factor of using a BlackBerry for the first time; we tend to play with them much more heavily at first. So your usage may normalize after you get used to it.

9. If you haven't bought a BlackBerry yet, you should be aware that the GSM/GPRS BlackBerries have the longest battery life. Battery life is longer on GPRS BlackBerries than the CDMA and iDEN BlackBerries.

10. Phone calls made on your BlackBerry is the biggest consumer of battery life. If you make lots of phone calls for hours, then your battery life can be extremely short. Making phone calls in areas of weak reception will also use up more battery power.

11. Consider a car power kit, or an office charger/cable. That way, you have more opportunities to top-off your BlackBerry battery.
As noted earlier, it's always a good idea to top-off the battery in a BlackBerry anyway, even if it's not almost dead. It is not necessary to follow the age-old advice of using up the battery before charging, and can wear out modern lithium-ion batteries if done on a constant basis.

12. Your battery may be defective or worn out. Compare your battery life to other people using the same model of BlackBerry.
If you have been using your BlackBerry for a long time, it may be time to replace your battery. If you purchased your BlackBerry as used, you may want to replace the battery with a new one. For best battery life, it is generally best to use genuine brand-name batteries rather than inexpensive aftermarket batteries.

13. Occasionally, it may be a BlackBerryOS issue if you are having unusually short battery life all the time. Early versions of BlackBerryOS on the 7100 tended to use a lot more battery life than newer versions of BlackBerryOS. Upgrade to a newer version of BlackBerryOS.
Closed Thread