Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #61
OmegaWolf747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: A COLADA
Carrier: Boost Mobile CDMA

Please Login to Remove!

I'm rather confused. I always keep my BlackBerry in my pocket (one of those pockets on the mid thigh of the jeans that's just big enough to slide a cell phone into, not the upper thigh pockets or back pockets) and have never run into this. Is it supposed to be due to pocket lint, or moisture?

Aren't they cute?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #62
RealUofG2000

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks. I used the technique here xxx.audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf with some variations to correct the track ball not clicking on a Bold 9000 and it worked.

I did replace the entire track ball as well since it was dirty, ordering the replacement from ebay.
I did clean the small dome contact with a pencil eraser first and then rubbing alcohol and the same for the contact underneath.
I also replaced the original tape holding the dome down with 3M scotch tape. While I peeled the original tape off fine, It wasn't going to stick back on.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #63
the_old_man

Model: 8900
Carrier: att
Default I sccrewed up!!!

Instead of pulling up just the tape, I pulled up the whole square under it too. So now i need the whole trackball board as well. It's a plug in item and should be easy to replace, but WHERE DO I FIND A REPLACEMENT TRACKBALL PCB?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #64
the_old_man

Default I found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_old_man View Post
Instead of pulling up just the tape, I pulled up the whole square under it too. So now i need the whole trackball board as well. It's a plug in item and should be easy to replace, but WHERE DO I FIND A REPLACEMENT TRACKBALL PCB?
I found it at gsm4world for $21.99
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #65
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I found it here for $1.50:

BlackBerry OEM trackball dome module - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories - 3G,

It says it requires de-soldering and re-soldering. Are you sure that thing is plug and play?

Last edited by John Clark; 05-04-2010 at 11:57 PM..
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #66
the_old_man

Default plug and play

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I found it here for $1.50:

It says it requires de-soldering and re-soldering. Are you sure that thing is plug and play?
I am too new here to post links, so

go to: "GSM4world dot us" site and search

"8900 OEM TRACKBALL MEMBRANE PCB sensor board"

This is what I ordered...

No way I was going to try and solder that little part...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #67
dhelsdon

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus Sucks

How much?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #68
67charger

Model: 8130
Carrier: ATT
Thumbs up Works Excellent, Thanks!

I just followed the instructions listed here and it works great. Just need some very fine pointed tweezers to get the kapton tape to start come off as stated, and also they are handy to put the tape back on after cleaning both sides of the contact. Works excellent! thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #69
the_old_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelsdon View Post
How much?
I ended up buying it from Truesupplier . com

$25.74 with shipping. It took 10 days to get here from Hong Kong. They supplied a tracking number that followed it fine.

Took 10 min. to install. Just pulled the BB apart, had to unplug a bunch of stuff, swapped the board out, plugged everything back in and presto!

Brand new Trackball Sensor Board with plug and play
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #70
santoshwins

Model: 8310
Carrier: Airtel (India)
Thumbs up You're my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
This is the correct procedure to follow if your trackball click function is lost. I have performed it quite a few times on multiple berry's and have had success every time. What happens sometimes is moisture can get into the contact's housing which causes some corrosion. By prying up the tape slightly exposing the contact, you can clean the corrosion with a small blade. What I have had the most trouble with is with the resetting of the contact into the housing. It can take multiple tries to get the contact to sit it the perfect position so that the edges make contact with the side contacts and the center of the button is able to touch the center contact upon depression. Be very careful when cleaning the contact itself with alcohol because if you do not allow enough time for the alcohol to dry, your contact will again become corroded and not function correctly. I would love to post a step by step instruction on this procedure but I do not have a high resolution camera to take pictures.

EDIT: I have found a nice guide by member CrackBerryHead that details the procedure:
Hey man! You're my hero! My mood was off the whole damn day. The click refused to respond since the morning. It had to do with the moisture I guess due to the rains.

I followed your instructions and the pdf you attached and voila! Thanks so much!

Cheers!

SP
Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #71
Exclamat!on

Model: 8339
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Its very likely Jeans Pockets are messing with it. Think like this:

Jeans are meant to be tight very often. Whenever I wear my BB in my Jeans Pocket, I pull it out to find "Qjwwwjdkskjsj Hjkd Ajfd" on the dial input screen (lol). The point is, they buttons get pressed. Perhaps the tight pocket is pressing the TrackBall in for long periods of time, so the previously mentioned "Copper Spoon" is getting bent in and stuck.

My two cents.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #72
ydnaryeldud

Model: 5320
Default Thanks to all

I did it, not too hard. Very proud of myself for saving $50! Thanks to everyone.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #73
GC2010

Model: 8830

I followed Stravs' advice and detailed pictures, which truly did help, and now my trackball click is working once again. Who would have thought that condensation would cause it to fail. Thanks for the help!!

GC
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #74
tony13

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
The problem is not in the trackball, but in the contact on the motherboard (at least in my unit it was). I had an old pearl laying around so I cannibalized it for parts. It's a pretty simple fix but it requires patience, a q-tip, some rubbing alcohol, and a pair of pointed tweezers.

When you remove your trackball you see a raised square that is covered with a piece of copper colored tape (of the same size). That tape secures the convex contact that is responsible for making the "click" sound and providing the feedback when the trackball is pressed. The problem is that sometimes these become worn out and lose their elasticity. Solution? Replace the contact.

Like I said before, I had to remove this part from an old phone I had laying around. I couldn't find this particular part anywhere on the net. Test to make sure your spare part makes the click sound before you remove it and put it in your new(er) phone. Here's how it works:

Take the batteries out of both phones. Remove both trackballs and use a q-tip and some alcohol to make sure the parts are clean. Remove the contact in the scrap phone by taking a pair of pointed tweezers and working the edge until you get a corner up enough to grab hold and peel away from the motherboard (note the orientation of the part relative to the rest of the phone before removing). Be careful not to tear the tape or damage the part when removing. The contact (small circular convex metal piece in the center) should remain intact with the tape.

Assuming you have a usable replacement, remove the damaged one from the other unit in the same manner and set aside. Using your tweezers, position the working contact in the exact same position as the old. Make sure that the edges are flush and square on the motherboard. When you think it looks right, take the dry side of the q-tip and press all around the edges to help the residual glue to adhere.

Replace the trackball, retaining clip, and chrome o-ring and give it a press. It should feel exactly how you remember. Replace the battery, turn the phone on and cross your fingers Mine worked perfectly - hopefully yours turns out the same.

PS. This is the same part in both the pearl and the curve, no worries.
this is what i did...well similar...my copper piece was missing tape so i put super glue on it and layed it to dry. i havent used the phone yet so hopefully it works. thanks very helpful.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #75
drrrr

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
The problem is not in the trackball, but in the contact on the motherboard (at least in my unit it was). I had an old pearl laying around so I cannibalized it for parts. It's a pretty simple fix but it requires patience, a q-tip, some rubbing alcohol, and a pair of pointed tweezers.

When you remove your trackball you see a raised square that is covered with a piece of copper colored tape (of the same size). That tape secures the convex contact that is responsible for making the "click" sound and providing the feedback when the trackball is pressed. The problem is that sometimes these become worn out and lose their elasticity. Solution? Replace the contact.

Like I said before, I had to remove this part from an old phone I had laying around. I couldn't find this particular part anywhere on the net. Test to make sure your spare part makes the click sound before you remove it and put it in your new(er) phone. Here's how it works:

Take the batteries out of both phones. Remove both trackballs and use a q-tip and some alcohol to make sure the parts are clean. Remove the contact in the scrap phone by taking a pair of pointed tweezers and working the edge until you get a corner up enough to grab hold and peel away from the motherboard (note the orientation of the part relative to the rest of the phone before removing). Be careful not to tear the tape or damage the part when removing. The contact (small circular convex metal piece in the center) should remain intact with the tape.

Assuming you have a usable replacement, remove the damaged one from the other unit in the same manner and set aside. Using your tweezers, position the working contact in the exact same position as the old. Make sure that the edges are flush and square on the motherboard. When you think it looks right, take the dry side of the q-tip and press all around the edges to help the residual glue to adhere.

Replace the trackball, retaining clip, and chrome o-ring and give it a press. It should feel exactly how you remember. Replace the battery, turn the phone on and cross your fingers Mine worked perfectly - hopefully yours turns out the same.

PS. This is the same part in both the pearl and the curve, no worries.

Solved my problem the same way but without a new part. In my case it wasn't a problem with elasticity of the button, but rather corrosion inside it. Once I removed it, I peeled off and discarded the old tape, scraped it and cleaned its underside and the contacts beneath with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, then secured it back in place with a thin strip of scotch tape.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #76
bookryder

Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: Trackball won't "click"

none of these work for me are there any other Ideas? I may just go to the Sprint Store... Im using the 8330
Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #77
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

A new contact will work. Sounds like you didn't try everything.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #78
Leogood

Model: 9000
Carrier: Indosat IM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofpear View Post
WooHoo! I may have found a solution to this. I had my Bold in my pocket last night and this morning the trackball stopped clicking. It worked fine for a few hours and then nothing. I had to hit "enter" to get anything to select. I was about to resign myself to calling for a warranty exchange. Instead, I blew some compressed air in the trackball while flicking it and clicking it rapidly. It works perfectly now. It may have been lint or some other debris.

Good luck to the other clicker challenged!
Woohoo! Thanks Sonofpear!
It worked in an instant! Though i didnt use the compressed air. My BB bold trackball couldnt click then i tried to blew the trackball with the hand dryer in the toilet . While i was doing it, i did clicking several times until it actually could click. At last !
The reason why my trackball couldnt click was, i was cleaning it with hand sanitizer gel and a cutton bud. But apparently i put too much sanitizer gel on it, so it caused sticky/wet part inside.

Previously, i had my trackball error too. It couldnt scroll down. So what i did was, gave a small drop of alcohol on it, then cleaning it with a cutton bud. It wasnt a pure alcohol actually, it's a hand sanitizer too, but it's not in a form of gel. More like a light liquid.

So i hope this could help others who experienced this so called problem !
Old 05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #79
beastyanimal

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I think so. I didn't have a click problem though. My track ball wouldn't go up, ie could move cursor down, side to side, and click. But had use "T" to go up. Mine began working like new after a soft boot though. Don't know why a hard boot didn't work, but there you go. Guess it was being tempermental.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #80
beeandy

Model: 8800
Carrier: do not know

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbieZ View Post
Absolutely hilarious, I just wrung my blackberry's neck and it too started to respond. You are the man dude. I was wondering forever what the hell happened, it would just periodically click when I pushed hard. . . but now that I squeezed it (length wise) it's working good as new.
It is indeed! This also worked for me. Had done the same silly thing in a tight jeans, but now it works again!
Closed Thread