Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
mvalpreda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMobile
Default BES 4.1.3 Exchange - Constantly losing "send as"

Please Login to Remove!

I'm baffled here. I have a client with a brand new fully patched Exchange 2003 + BES 4.1.3.16 and the users who are using BES are constantly losing the Send As for the BESAdmin user.

They are not in any administrator group. It's 5 users in 2 separate OUs off of another OU. They activate, sync, get all mail, calendar, contacts, etc. Sending mail is does not work though. All 5 users get "'Desktop email program unable to send message."

The permissions propagate from the root level of the AD domain to the top OU, then the the next OU, but not to the user. The check box for "Allow inheritable permissions from the parent object to propagate...." is unchecked. I check it, the permissions show up, but later it's gone. I add the Send As manually for the BESAdmin user and it shows up, but gone later.

I'm pretty sure it's an AD issue, but I don't know what to change. I'm sure someone else has come across this and I would appreciate the help!
Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
gziz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

make sure you stop the BB router serviec for around 30 minutes after you apply the permissions in AD.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
mvalpreda
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just shut off BB Router service, updated the permissions and I'm going to turn it back on in about 30 minutes or so.

I don't have high hopes for that fix though.....hmmmmmm
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
mvalpreda
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've done the 6 lines of the dsacls. I've added a group with BlackBerry users and added the send as/receive at the top OU level. I've gone though adsiedit.msc and added BESAdmin to the AdminSDHolder.

Nothing works. Still no Send As permissions for my users. I'm just waiting for my other clients BES's to break.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
garycutri
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra

To correct the "Send As" issue I have outlined the steps I use to quickly resolve this issue:

1. Stop the Blackberry Router service.

2. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As".

3. Run the following script logged on as Administrator
Note: Only use this step if you have BlackBerry users that are members of Admin groups. Using best practice methods it is recomended that mobile user accounts aren't members of any administration groups.

dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domainname,dc=c om " /G "DOMAINNAME\BESadmin:CA;Send As"

Example 1: dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=experts-exchange,dc=com " /G "EXPERTS_EXCHANGE\BESadmin:CA;Send As"

Example 2: dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=blackberryforum s,dc =com,dc=au " /G "BLACKBERRYFORUMS\BESadmin:CA;Send As"

Example 3: dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=mobilenetwork,d c=lo cal" /G "MOBILENETWORK\BESadmin:CA;Send As"

NOTE: dsacls can be found in the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Support Tools pack: Download details: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 32-bit Support Tools

4. Wait 20 minutes and then restart the BlackBerry Router service.

5. Restart the BES server.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
mvalpreda
Thumbs Must Hurt

The funny thing is that all users have BESAdmin with Send As permission in their security and they are not in any special group. They still get the red X. I am going to go through and do it again though.
Closed Thread