Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
jasonyng

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Email Time Stamp

Please Login to Remove!

I know this has been covered a couple of times but no one really says why emails are stamped when they are received by the BlackBerry and not when they are actually sent. If this is truly by design why would RIM do this? Why do we not have an option to change which it is sorted by? This is a huge inconvenience for people like myself who don’t have cell coverage all the time and can never tell when an email actually arrived. To me the BB is supposed to mirror my exchange inbox and it doesn’t. I am aware that it displays in the header after the message is open but why not in the list?

Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

The next time your boss screams at you because he sent you an email 2 hours ago, and why haven't you replied yet, you'll be happy to be able to show him the exact time at wich you actually received the darn thing.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
gziz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

don't know what you mean? in th email messages folder it shown the time it was pushed to the handheld but if you open the message in the header it shown the actual time it was sent to you. so before you complain about something make sure you know what you are talking about.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gziz View Post
don't know what you mean? in th email messages folder it shown the time it was pushed to the handheld but if you open the message in the header it shown the actual time it was sent to you. so before you complain about something make sure you know what you are talking about.
The last sentence of the OP's post says the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonyng
I am aware that it displays in the header after the message is open but why not in the list?
So before you go flaming the guy, read the whole post.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonyng View Post
I know this has been covered a couple of times but no one really says why emails are stamped when they are received by the BlackBerry and not when they are actually sent. If this is truly by design why would RIM do this? Why do we not have an option to change which it is sorted by? This is a huge inconvenience for people like myself who don’t have cell coverage all the time and can never tell when an email actually arrived. To me the BB is supposed to mirror my exchange inbox and it doesn’t. I am aware that it displays in the header after the message is open but why not in the list?

Thoughts?
I'm guessing the approach is that a BB HH is a client, and RIM decided that they would have the client report when it receives the message so there would be no confusion ever. I can certainly see why someone would want to be able to sort by when the actual message was received by the mail server... I'm going to dig into it a bit more and see what can be found.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
jasonyng

hdawg I agree that it is defiantly a number that should be recorded but to me its backwards. The list should be sorted according to when it was received by exchange and the received by the device time should be in the header.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
hdawg I agree that it is defiantly a number that should be recorded but to me its backwards. The list should be sorted according to when it was received by exchange and the received by the device time should be in the header.
I suppose ... not sure how I really feel on this one; haven't given it all too much thought, but this also isn't the first time I've seen comments on this.

As of now there is no way at all to sort by when the mail server processed the message; and there doesn't seem to be anything in the plans to add this functionality to HH code, but I've pushed some feedback to RIM asking them to think about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

When incorrect, is it by when it's received by the device or by when it's processed by the BES? I believe it's the latter, but I may be mistaken. Many desktop clients exhibit this same behavior, including Exchange/Outlook. When having mail server or client issues, it's not beyond the scope of imagination for you to receive messages with two different time stamps (one in the header and one in the message list). I would almost guarantee that you can find a coinciding log entry with the two different time stamps on the BES (I can't remember the exact line entry, but it actually references what the current time is (time processed) and when the message was actually received).
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

I figured the OP was referencing when a device might go out of coverage and then all of a sudden 15 or so messages rush in; all with the "delayed" time stamp. Then when the message is opened you see the actual time the message was received by the mail server.

No?

All of the timestamps ...

when the mailserver receives the message
when BES sees the message
the 46 timestamps in the middle when BES passes the message around
and when the HH receives the message

are all in there ... but I the two on the HH are the mailbox timestamp and HH received timestamp; the latter being the one that we see on the Messages screen
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
jasonyng

Correct hdawg, try turning your device off for 30 minutes during the day when you are busy getting emails and when you turn it on you will see how frustrating this can be. Or if you take vacation for a couple of days and you have 50 messages all giving the same date, you donxxx8217;t know if they came today or yesterday.

Not something that should be done away with but I think there should be a choice. I cant really think of a time when doing it the way its done now would be beneficial, anyone else?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
PHaust

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Correct hdawg, try turning your device off for 30 minutes during the day when you are busy getting emails and when you turn it on you will see how frustrating this can be. Or if you take vacation for a couple of days and you have 50 messages all giving the same date, you donxxx8217;t know if they came today or yesterday.

Not something that should be done away with but I think there should be a choice. I cant really think of a time when doing it the way its done now would be beneficial, anyone else?
I'm also not sure why RIM has decided to display emails this way. I, too, use an Exchange server, and it's very frustrating when you suddenly have a dozen or so emails with the same time-stamp.

I have just come from using a smart phone that was connected to our Exchange server using GOOD's client. This product will show the time-stamp of when the mail reached the server not the HH.

I can understand why you'd want the HH time stamp, but that would be more of CYA so that you can show, "Hey it may have come into the server at x : xx but I didn't get it until y:yy". Mostly though I want to know when it hit the SERVER and not when it hit the HH. It's too a point now where I'm considering turning this phone back, and going with the "other product."

Thanks,
Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

The BlackBerry was designed as an always-on, always-connected device, therefore the time stamps should rarely be out of sync by more than the 20 second polling interval. What is happening in the chain between the mail server and your device such that this happens often enough for you to think about switching platforms?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

His world is collapsing.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

RIMmy posted a KB Article ... Message timestamp is different on the BlackBerry smartphone and the computer mailbox ... it doesn't say they're changing anything, but apparently enough people ask about it to warrant a KB article.
Closed Thread