Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #101
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I have been on this OS for weeks....wifi and everything else has worked great. It's possible that your update was a disaster.

What exactly is it doing?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #102
BBRomeo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I have been on this OS for weeks....wifi and everything else has worked great. It's possible that your update was a disaster.

What exactly is it doing?
At first i got the 561 error..I did the Jl_command thing and it updated and booted fine..After the update finished, i had none of my apps and when i tried to connect with my router, it would keep saying connection terminated..

I reinstalled my 3rd party apps and some of the BB stuff, but the wifi thing is pissing me off..
Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #103
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Something happened with your USB connection during the install. I've had that happen a time or two. Usually, it goes fine, though. However, when that happens you lose all your 3rd party apps. Also, the backup won't restore automatically. Did you restore your backup manually?

Your wifi should be able to be reset. It sounds like just a setup issue.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #104
BBRomeo

Quote:
Something happened with your USB connection during the install. I've had that happen a time or two. Usually, it goes fine, though. However, when that happens you lose all your 3rd party apps. Also, the backup won't restore automatically. Did you restore your backup manually?

Your wifi should be able to be reset. It sounds like just a setup issue.

I did an automatic restore and then when i reinstalled password keeper and memopad i did a manual restore. The wi-fi started working, i guess i just had to give it some time..
Old 09-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #105
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Old 09-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #106
ichavis

PIN: N/A
Default 4.5.0.81 is not good for me

I've downgraded..this is the first of the 4.5.x builds that i've had problems with. My bb8320 reboots every 5 or less minutes. downgraded to my earlier 4.5 build and all is happy again.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #107
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T

I have also gone back to .69 With .81 i lost the ability to connect to my TomTom and that is more important at this moment.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #108
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

81 seems to fix the "won't back up with the DM" problem that cropped up in earlier releases. I think it has something specifically to do with Profiles; with the upgrade (I let it restore data, no wipe etc. this time) I can now do a full backup with DM 4.6 on Windows XP SP2.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #109
cwichura
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterteee89 View Post
Took awhile to boot up then finally but it came to the locked screen.. where i had to use my same password as the previous O.S. understandable?
BlackBerries sync a bunch of information to your home server (at least if it is a BES-connected device, not sure about BIS). Your password lock settings (including the password) is part of this. Thus, it's possible that these settings were restored down to your device over-the-air when it re-did activation after you loaded the new operating system.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #110
bradg0620

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Very nice. TY
Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #111
jeffz80

Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

My BB has memory loss since I upgraded .69 to .81. The rate of memory dropping is about 1MB/hour. I have disabled the logging using Alt+LGLG. I guess I'll have to reveat back to .69
Old 09-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #112
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

Wirelessly posted

Battery life is still horrible, can't make it a whole day on a single charge, and the memory leak is bad too.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #113
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

These negative posts really puzzle me. Mine is faster, the battery lasts longer, and it is faster! (and it installed with no issues and everything worked!). My memory is about the same as what I posted above (and has stayed there for a while now).

Last edited by PressureDrop; 09-28-2008 at 10:43 AM..
Old 09-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #114
irresistible

Started my upgrade at 6am and by 6:57am my phone was done. Checking out what's what now. The only problems I found so far were that I needed to upgrade docs to go in order to get sheets to go and my profile exceptions didn't stick. I had to repopulate them for certain ringtones for several groups. Jive talk didn't work immediately, I had to change a setting in order for it to connect to the server. Other than that all seemed fine.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #115
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by irresistible View Post
Started my upgrade at 6am and by 6:57am my phone was done. Checking out what's what now. The only problems I found so far were that I needed to upgrade docs to go in order to get sheets to go and my profile exceptions didn't stick. I had to repopulate them for certain ringtones for several groups. Jive talk didn't work immediately, I had to change a setting in order for it to connect to the server. Other than that all seemed fine.
This OS release contains the older (1.000.08 I think?) DocsToGo; everyone who has already upgraded to the latest version (1.002.016) should delete the ...\Apploader\DocumentsToGo.alx file after installing the OS files to their PC but before upgrading their device. The upgrade process will then download your device DocsToGo files and restore them for you after the upgrade like all the other 3rd party apps.

I also lost Profile settings like you, had to reconfigure my ringtones, etc. As usual several apps lost their settings (FreeRange, JiveTalk, Google Mail/Maps, Nexthaus SyncJe, etc.) but this always happens; it has to do with the method they store their data, it's not preserved during an upgrade.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #116
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You mean the extra cautions Rivviepop already upgraded to this latest version? Wow!!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #117
rivviepop

Quote:
You mean the extra cautions Rivviepop already upgraded to this latest version? Wow!!
I know, right? I was hoping two issues were resolved that bug me but they're not. #1, the dial screen background reverts to that ugly T-Mobile wallpaper in the Zen theme (in the older OSes it was just a nice white background), and the ugly bold font when getting new email isn't controllable. I still prefer BBMilliBank Tall over the new BBAlphaSans but in this one spot it's craptastic.

BTW, it's been years and dozens of OS releases and DM releases, how long will it take this guys to backup and restore the stupid TCP WAP setting? You'd think this was rocket science by how long they've ignored it...

In other news, the WiFi in .81 is superbly better, it's locked on and strong like bull.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #118
Citroen217

Model: 8310
Default Wont reconnect to finish install 561 error

I just started to install the new OS and I got a 561 error and now it wont reconnect

What do I do now
Old 09-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #119
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I know, right? I was hoping two issues were resolved that bug me but they're not. #1, the dial screen background reverts to that ugly T-Mobile wallpaper in the Zen theme (in the older OSes it was just a nice white background), and the ugly bold font when getting new email isn't controllable. I still prefer BBMilliBank Tall over the new BBAlphaSans but in this one spot it's craptastic.

BTW, it's been years and dozens of OS releases and DM releases, how long will it take this guys to backup and restore the stupid TCP WAP setting? You'd think this was rocket science by how long they've ignored it...

In other news, the WiFi in .81 is superbly better, it's locked on and strong like bull.

The phone screen has been like that since the very first beta came out a year ago.l

The bold font is theme controlled. I had the In N Out theme installed for a while and the font was the same regardless of read or unread, so I gather that it's theme controlled.

As far as the wap settings, I've upgraded ATT devices and the wap settings are automatically entered, so it's linked to the device vendor ID somehow. Not sure why TMo's can't be loaded automatically.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #120
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroen217 View Post
I just started to install the new OS and I got a 561 error and now it wont reconnect

What do I do now
Read this thread:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ate-error.html

To anyone upgrading:

1) pull the battery on your device first and hard reboot it before upgrading
2) restart your PC then shut down any and all apps/scanners running before upgrading
3) plug the BB directly into the PC, not an external USB hub to do the OS upgrade

Follow these three rules and you'll probably never get any of the errors people get while upgrading. Most problems are caused by not following one of the above rules - Windows is finicky, an ounce of caution saves a pound of trouble.

PS: manually back up your device before upgrading, always have a backup plan for when things go horribly wrong