Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #161
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
It'll make your receding hairline grow back, the stock market go back up, the murder rate in Philly go down ("I'm not angry! I'm from Philly") and in general chicks will dig you now. It won't make you a cool kid though, that comes with OS 4.6.
LOL! Like the ad for that new men's body wash says: Will it "increase my ability to mate"?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #162
jeffchu

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: China mobile

Wonderful, Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #163
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

So far I've been using this new update with no significant benifits from the previous 4.5.0.52 upgrade...still getting a memory leak, although it has slowed down, it is still very apparent that my memory is being absorbed by non-operating applications or active applications that do not relenquish the memory when shut down.

restarts are still needed, UMA glitches every now and then and causes interruption of continuously streaming media, not calls though...all-in-all, not an impressive update to the previous OS

in my opinion, not worth the time or hassle

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #164
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpg View Post
Fixed my phantom voicemail and message indicator issues.

Rebooting would cause VM indicator to be on even though I didn't have a VM. And also sometimes after reading an SMS the message LED keeps flashing even though there aren't any new messages.
just reading thru the other posts i guess...caught my eye...
these are actually memory issues, RIM has warned me in the past when I called in to complain about it, that they get these every time people install non-carrier specific OS versions, which usually end up in memory allocation problems...it's a toss up, but glad to hear this helped!

Explination: You do things faster than the memory can register them, then your phone becomes caught in a loop where you'd be forced to restart...basically, users become too fast for the "smart phone" lol...

Last edited by lambdacoreaz; 10-02-2008 at 12:33 AM..
Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #165
bubbu64

Model: 8320
Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbu64 View Post
Dear John

I need ur help and reply as soon as possible. Please please reply.

bubbu64
Wow still no reply to my query?

Can anyone pls help me with the queries asap?. I havent used the bby8320 since I bought a month ago.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #166
bubbu64

Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Quote:
Dear John

I have a 8320 blackberry locked to Bharti Airtel, India. My queries are

1. Can I update with the OS in this locked situation. I have purchased this just last week. Hence no 3rd pty applications etc. Its completely new and mint fresh. The model has been manufactured in Hungary and I had purchased this in New Delhi, but I am presently in Mumbai, so would that make any difference while updating the OS ? .

Note the model was manufactured in July 2008. The OS version I have now is v4.2.2.175 (platform 2.5.0.33).

2. Can I do the update directly from the blackberry website using the Application Loader directly downloaded from the bby website ?

3. Is this online utility better or should I use ur utility. I have no 3rd pty applications and the phone is completely clean and fresh ?

4. Any precautions I need to take before doing this update ?

Your replies will be appreciated

Thanking you

bubbu64
Hello John

Cau you pls post ur ans to my queries pls? I still havent used the BBY 8320 since I bought it a month ago.

Regards
Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #167
netquestz

Default OS update and streaming video (youtube)

Purchased this BB about a week ago from T-Mobile. My first "smartphone". Last phone was an old LG L1200 so enough said on that.

Out of the box from T-Mobile this phone was so crippled, I can't believe all the new stuff. Phone shipped with v4.2.xxx.something and even the desktop software was 10 revisions old. Hey, video recorder - entirely new look and feel. UMA Wi-Fi improved a thousand fold over the old OS. Before the upgrade it would drop every single last call when I reached the end of the Wi-Fi string. Now it just chops a bit during the transfer. How nice to not have to call back and explain why your new "junk" phone dropped the call. Memory went from 16-17 to just under 22. To anyone new to this as I am, it was painless, took about 40 minutes, zero problems.

My question is this. I still can't do streaming video (youtube). With the native browser I get to media player, loading and then a box "An error has occured attempting to play media". With Opera-Mini 4.1 when I click the watch video link the browser just ignores the links.

I also want to thank all the posters for making this OS upgrade a painless process. Thats som scary stuff for a first timer.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 PM   #168
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Hello John

Cau you pls post ur ans to my queries pls? I still havent used the BBY 8320 since I bought it a month ago.

Regards
No offense, but John is a volunteer and not required to answer anything (although he may be in the air right now, working). Your questions can all be found by searching the forums, and frankly if you continued to bug me like you are John I'd just plain ignore you. I'm gently trying to say "stop, you're getting annoying - go search and read and learn". Your continued prodding of him to answer your questions is starting to get on MY nerves, too.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #169
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

bubbu64... to reiterate rivviepop, please chill out. I let you know JC was busy a few posts ago and I guess you ignored that, and you seem to ONLY want him to answer your question. We are all volunteers.

Nevertheless, to answer your queries:
1. Yes, you can update. No,it won't make a difference.
2. Probably not. I would recommend you read the first post in THIS thread and follow the COMPLETE instructions as posted, exactly as written, and in the ORDER as written.
3. JC has no "utlity" to offer you to use. Use the instructions in the first post in this thread. See #2 above.
4. I would precaution that if you don't read AND follow the instructions as posted, you will not be successful in your endeavor.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #170
netquestz

Default OS update - streaming video problem semi-fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by netquestz View Post
Purchased this BB about a week ago from T-Mobile. My first "smartphone". Last phone was an old LG L1200 so enough said on that.

Out of the box from T-Mobile this phone was so crippled, I can't believe all the new stuff. Phone shipped with v4.2.xxx.something and even the desktop software was 10 revisions old. Hey, video recorder - entirely new look and feel. UMA Wi-Fi improved a thousand fold over the old OS. Before the upgrade it would drop every single last call when I reached the end of the Wi-Fi string. Now it just chops a bit during the transfer. How nice to not have to call back and explain why your new "junk" phone dropped the call. Memory went from 16-17 to just under 22. To anyone new to this as I am, it was painless, took about 40 minutes, zero problems.

My question is this. I still can't do streaming video (youtube). With the native browser I get to media player, loading and then a box "An error has occured attempting to play media". With Opera-Mini 4.1 when I click the watch video link the browser just ignores the links.

I also want to thank all the posters for making this OS upgrade a painless process. Thats som scary stuff for a first timer.
After much more reading I found a bit about streaming video not working on a Wi-Fi connection. Sure enough, switch to EDGE and all works. So I take it there is still a few bugs to get worked out.

Thanks again for letting me take up posting space with these stupid questions anyway. I hope to get good enough at this to actually offer advice in the future.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #171
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by netquestz View Post
After much more reading I found a bit about streaming video not working on a Wi-Fi connection. Sure enough, switch to EDGE and all works. So I take it there is still a few bugs to get worked out.

Thanks again for letting me take up posting space with these stupid questions anyway. I hope to get good enough at this to actually offer advice in the future.
this may happen with this new release as some (as I) have been experiencing WiFi and Edge swaps intermittently while using the BB...if you are in a location with the password for WiFi saved...but yes, the best problems are those solved with some sleuthing!

Enjoy your new curve

Old 10-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #172
Cujo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

For those using Rogers, the official release can be found for the 8320 on the Blackberry.com website.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C068A355BBA31A
Old 10-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #173
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
For those using Rogers, the official release can be found for the 8320 on the Blackberry.com website.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C068A355BBA31A
any way we can get an update if this is different from the current release?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #174
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdacoreaz View Post
any way we can get an update if this is different from the current release?
It's Multilanguage - so it's going to have the more Euro type languages instead of Chinese/Japanese/Korean. Depends on your need, but if you're using English only there is probably nothing different.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #175
Cujo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Agreed. The only reason to update to the Rogers release rather than the one posted would be for Rogers users. Your device would be officially out of beta and supported by Rogers' Techs.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #176
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

The Rogers version has been posted and stickied now...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #177
bosozokujin

Carrier: tmo

i just downloaded the new os had no problems but it didnt take nearly 45 minutes, and my blackberry is still the same even tho it said complete did i forget something?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #178
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosozokujin View Post
i just downloaded the new os had no problems but it didnt take nearly 45 minutes, and my blackberry is still the same even tho it said complete did i forget something?
After you downloaded it to your computer, did you follow the rest of the instructions? There is more to it than just downloading it to your computer.

Follow the instructions 1 through 4 here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #179
bosozokujin

Carrier: tmo

thanx will do now
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #180
HofstraJet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: TMO/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
Anybody else on a BES who had the local/remote email search option in .55 lose in this latest version?

BTW, local/remote email search option is back (just noticed today). Maybe it was something on the BES?
Closed Thread