Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom
Default CrackPic

Please Login to Remove!

CrackPIc 1.1 is released. It has very little functionality change fro v1.0 other than it now supports a device password for the duration of the current CrackPic session.

CrackPic (a free program) is probably the easiest way to obtain screeshots from your BlackBerry. CrackPic is a single function program and taking screenshots is all it does.

CrackPic uses javaloader.exe and then puts the resulatant image into MSPaint (just like JL_Cmder) - the user interface is just a bit friendlier than JL_Cmder.

When you run CrackPic, it prompts you for a password. The password is visible as you type it in and is stored unencrypted in the PCs memory so, it is not secure at all if you are paranoid. Most people will never have a problem with this but I felt that I should mention it.

IT IS RECCOMENDED TO UNISTALL CRACKPIC V1.0 BEFORE YOU INSTALL V1.1

If you have a password on your BlackBerry, type it into the input box and select OK to proceed.

If you do not have a password then still select OK to proceed and the password is set to no password and the program will open.

You may now take as many screenshots as you wish just as before.

Here is CrackPic v1.0 (109 downloads) a small free utility to take picture of your BlackBerry screen.

To use this program, download and install it and then run it. Press the big button and if your phone is connected and you have Desktop Manager (this is a must have) installed on your PC then you should see a screenshot apear shortly afterwards.

The image will apear in MS-Paint with the name bb.bmp. You should now save this in the format (.bmp, jpg, etc) and the name you want in the folder you wish.

If you run CrackPic a second time it will overwrite the previous copy of bb.bmp so make sure that you save the picture that you want in the right place.

I noticed that I had to run it twice before I got a good picture of my 8100 Pearl screen. I think that this is due to the relatively slow processor of this phone.

On my 8310 Curve it worked every time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CrackPic.zip (563.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 10-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I use BBScreen. Also very easy to use.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Is anyone aware of any on-device-only screenshot apps that have come out yet? We really need one for a) those occasions when you're on the go and need to take a SS (like when an error happens or somesuch), and b) you're not using Windows.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
holden

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

You can run screenshooter off a thumb drive... (but you still have to have a usb cord in your pocket in case your end user does not)

H.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Nice... but I'd like to see the following enhancements:

1. Auto number screen shots so that previous screenshots are not overwritten.

2. A configuration option to save images as .BMP, .JPG or .PNG format and have that choice remembered between sessions.

3. The option to define the target folder to save the captured image to.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I get an "incorrect password" error but my 8830 does NOT have a password enabled!

Does it need javaload.... whatever installed in a particular location? I do have dm installed.

Oh, the official OS for verizon (no beta)
Old 10-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Pete6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Swisscom

I'll try to answer all the question you asked in one post.

For an on-device screen grabber, try SnapScreen, Download SnapScreen 1.1.1 for Blackberry Free Trial - Take an on device screenshot of your BlackBerry with SnapScreen! - Softpedia which is $5.99 but has a free trial period.

I am not putting in any form of numbering. The output from javaloader producces a bmp file and then (just like JL_Cmder) I invoke MSPaint which can save your file in a variety of formats to wherever you wish on you PC.

The incorrect password error apears if you phone is not connected to the PC or if you do not click OK on the password screen. There is a problem in the way that javaloader handles errors. I have not been able to work around it. I was hoping for a DOS errorlevel change if there was an error condition but sadly I could not detect this so I simply ignore any errors (which is what javaloader does). Javaloader is distributed and installed with CrackPic.

This program is just a pretty version of a single function of JL_Cmder. It is free and will remain so.

CrackPic is really intended for Newbies to be able to take screenshots and post the results or even email them thus greatly aiding support. I originally had no support for passwords and it was a really simple little program but I got a lot of coments about need ing a password (please seee the help text for my comments on security) so I put it in. I do not really like it but now it's there.

Unless anything major comes up, this program is now complete and I will continue work on my next free BlackBerry program project.

I hope that this helps answer your queations.

Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Thanks for the SnapScreen info. For the lurkers, here's the OTA link directly from the developer's site to trial it: http://www.virtualviews.com/snapscre...SnapScreen.jad