Old 05-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
cjrp

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default No Internet Connection on Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

All,

Hi, new to the forum but it seems to have more experts than anywhere else on the web. I have just bought my wife a BB (I forget which model, but that is, I think, kind of irrelevant). She smashed her iphone and I am a BB user so persuaded her to upgrade. However I bought it for her the morning before I left to deploy overseas for a few weeks. Now she has called me to say that she has downloaded the Desktop manager software onto her PC (which for reasons too long to go into does NOT have an internet connection) but she cannot get her BB to sync with her outlook to transfer all her contacts across. Every time she opens it it refuses to help as she does not have an active internet connection.

Now, whilst no expert I could probably figure it out through pure trial and error (although it would have no logic too it and I would not be able to tell you how I had done it afterwards. I am persistent, not bright!), I am unable to do so remotely.

I cannot see any reason why it shouldnt synchronise without an internet connection since it is only taking existing data (the outlook contacts) and sticking them on a fixed handheld device... But I am not familiar enought o work through it.

Apologies if this has been done before. I have searched but cannot find an exact answer. I am very fond of my BB and I am keen to get my wife onto the same page. As it is I think I am failing to convince her!

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Rory
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Although yes, the syncing to outlook doesnt involve the internet, desktop manager will insist there be a connection when you first sync.
why, im not sure, but there isnt (as yet) a way around it.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

She needs to have a BB data plan activated on her account. The later versions of the BB OS and DM seem to be requiring it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
DacyJ
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Is there a way yet? I have this same issue at the moment.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
Is there a way yet? I have this same issue at the moment.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Not to my knowledge.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
DacyJ
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Not to my knowledge.
Thanks for the update sir!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

This is from RIM's site. As given above , RIM now looks for the PIN number in its data base via the internet connection and by default it requires the Data Plan.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager prompts that an Internet connection is required to configure synchronization
Overview

To synchronize organizer data for the first time between the computer and the BlackBerry smartphone, the BlackBerry Desktop Manager requires a connection to the Internet.

The following error message appears when organizer data is configured for synchronization:

This computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again.

BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.5 to 6.0

Cause

An Internet connection is not available, or the request is being blocked by a firewall, a proxy server, or a security application such as Norton AntiVirus™ or McAfee® antivirus software.

Resolution

Complete the following troubleshooting steps to determine the cause of the issue:

Verify that the Internet connection is functioning.
Confirm that the BlackBerry® Desktop Software is not blocked by a firewall or antivirus software. For more information on how to verify and configure access on a firewall or antivirus software, contact the software manufacturer. Examples of antivirus and firewall software are:
Norton AntiVirus™
McAfee®
ZoneAlarm®
Kaspersky® Internet Protection Suite
For additional information on the Windows Firewall, visit the Microsoft Support web site and search for "Understanding Windows Firewall settings".

If the computer is on a home or corporate network, confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Software has access to port 80 and port 443. If it does not, allow access to port 80 and 443 in the firewall and proxy server settings.
If the computer is on a corporate network and a proxy server is involved, confirm that the proxy settings are enabled and correct in Windows® Internet Explorer® (Internet Options > Connections tab > Local Area Network (LAN) Settings). BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7 is now proxy aware using Windows Internet Explorer settings.
Install a packet capture tool (such as Wireshark®) and record the network traffic between the computer and Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com to confirm the port access and connection protocol required for the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Additional Information

When activating certain features in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, the personal identification number (PIN) associated with the BlackBerry smartphone is registered with Research In Motion.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
rsbrux

Model: 9800
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: No Internet Connection on Desktop Manager

I have perused literally dozens of discussions about this problem in this and other forums and tried many suggested measures without success.
I have installed BB Desktop 6.0 on 2 systems, one running XP x64, the other running Win 7 x64.
The installation under XP synchronizes just fine with my 8900 Curve.
The Win 7 installation insists the "your computer must be connected...", even though I have a perfectly good internet connection (which I am using to post this message).

I have:
1. Configured my firewall to permit the required traffic (incoming TCP/IP on 208.65.75.22:443). To be precise, I am permitting all traffic to and from this address, but only incoming traffic appears in the log.
2. Verified that the traffic is in fact being allowed.
3. Added my default gateway as a Blackberry router address in Blackberry Device Manager
3. Set MSIE 8 to use compatibility mode for all websites.
4. Emptied the MSIE SSL cache.
5. Disabled WiFi on BB 8900
6. Disable certificate checks in MSIE 8
7. Rebooted (warm & cold) repeatedly between the above steps taken, to see if that helps.

What I have been unable to do is the registry edit suggested in some posts. In my registry, there are no subkeys under "Synchronize" containing a value named "State". An export of the registry branch is attached.

How can I get this to work??!
Attached Files
File Type: txt HKCU_SW_RIM_BB_Sync.txt (1.7 KB, 303 views)
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
rsbrux

Model: 9800
Carrier: Swisscom

P.S. Also installed Desktop Manager 5.0.1 excluding auto-update feature, but also get the same error message from DM5 when I try to "Configure synchronizartion settings for my desktop program".
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
78Jimmy

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sasktel

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with DM5.0.1, this is on a Corp network.

We have numerous users that are running Windows XP with the DM 5.0.1 without a problem. We know that the Internet connection works, and there is a data plan on the device. Both are functioning, however we can not synch the device.

As I don't want to upgrade the user to v6 of the DM, is there anyway to solve this?
Closed Thread