Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #41
Stewie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF
Yes. The voda today theme needs the older voda theme (net_rim_theme_120_320x240.cod) to work properly. This theme isn't loaded in the .351 build. Copy that theme out of an earlier build into the java folder of the .351 build. You'll then have to edit the .alx file. Search for voda in the file and you will find the section with the theme entries. There are two entries for the 8700 that have a radio="UMTS" in them. Change UMTS to GPRS, save the file and start desktop manager then select application loader. It will tell you you have core applications to update. Do the update and it will load the old base vodaphone theme and your voda today theme will work.

SMF
That did the trick.... Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #42
8700cNYC

Model: 8700c
Default Smf

The are a few entries in the blackberry.alx file from the O2 version .351, that state GPRS | UMTS.

Would you delete the {| UMTS} section of that statement as well as changing the other two UMTS related entries?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #43
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only parts I would feel comfortable editing are related to the theme entries - I only know enough to be dangerous. From jibi's thread that showed how to get the today themes loaded I learned that you need to delete the _vendor info from the file - these are all associated with the themes - and the ThemeSupport="Enhanced" in some of the theme entries.

I figured out the radio="UMTS" was keeping some of the vodafone themes from loading. I copied the theme files from an earlier build into the java folder of the O2 .351 build, edited the .alx, and loaded. It worked so now I have two icon based voda themes and the voda today working. (You can see the two voda themes earlier in this thread)

SMF
Old 08-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #44
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

You guys are hacking the h3!! out of this thing. I don't remember an os that received such a barrage of editing. Why is that?+
Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #45
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

Actually what we're hacking is the loading of various theme files not an OS.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #46
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

Anyone else seeing a severe drop in battery performance after installing Bharti 351? I installed it Friday night, then fully charged the battery overnight as I usually do. Both yesterday and today I've seen my extended battery drop to 30% towards the end of the day. On a heavy weekday I never drop below 50% so 30% on a light weekend with the extended battery is VERY surprising.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #47
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ
Anyone else seeing a severe drop in battery performance after installing Bharti 351? I installed it Friday night, then fully charged the battery overnight as I usually do. Both yesterday and today I've seen my extended battery drop to 30% towards the end of the day. On a heavy weekday I never drop below 50% so 30% on a light weekend with the extended battery is VERY surprising.
I have the extended battery and didn't notice that at all. Some data that gets restored and may be corrupt can cause a battery drain. Try the load again and then manually restore the specific items you want instead of telling app loader to do a full backup and restore within the load process. And if you are on an enterprise you can prob get away with not restoring at all, just to ent. activation and then reload your OTA apps by hand.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #48
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Not really. I will give it a better run this weekend. Doubt the OS is the cause.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM   #49
Cocooningweb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South
Question Drained Battery

Quote:
I have the same problem. I installed Telstra (4.1.0.309), with the modified .alx on my 8700g about two weeks ago and everything went fine (the Smoothie theme is active). The only other applications I installed on my BB in addition to the OS are GoogleTalk, GoogleMap and BBWeather. I bought my BB about two months ago.

Last Friday morning my battery was at 15%, I charged it and it looked ok. It was at 5% on Saturday, charged it again and didn't use my BB all weekend. This morning (Monday) the battery is at 0% ! ! !

Any idea anyone? Thanks

Last edited by Cocooningweb; 08-28-2006 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: wrong quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #50
Grex

Model: 8700

just updated my 8700 from telstra, now I can no longer install any apps. It gives me the http error: 406 message. Any one have this happen to them.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #51
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

I think I'm starting to notice battery degredation - not sure what's in this firmware that could do that but I'm definitely not getting as much battery life out of it as I was pre-update.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #52
jungleland

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
I think I'm starting to notice battery degredation - not sure what's in this firmware that could do that but I'm definitely not getting as much battery life out of it as I was pre-update.

I noticed that too....The 8700 I bought for my mom was brand new from Cingular, as was the battery, and I am seeing 50% battery drain with very little voice usage in a 12 hour period in a good coverage area...
Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #53
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion
I have the extended battery and didn't notice that at all. Some data that gets restored and may be corrupt can cause a battery drain. Try the load again and then manually restore the specific items you want instead of telling app loader to do a full backup and restore within the load process. And if you are on an enterprise you can prob get away with not restoring at all, just to ent. activation and then reload your OTA apps by hand.

I am not seeing any battery degradation at all on mine.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #54
graphreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: UPs? Always welcome.
Carrier: TMO

I initially thought I had some unusual battery degradation.
So I went in and checked for programs running in the background and closed
BBToday/BBWeather. And any other program that keeps polling the service.

Now my battery is back to normal and lasts me about 3 days as it used to.
Another thing I like to do is charge the battery with my phone completely off.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #55
Cocooningweb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South

Do you guys charge your BB through USB or a wall charger?

I read on a Motorola forum that charging through the USB doesn't give a good charge compared to a wall charger. I was just wondering if it was the same for Blackberries.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #56
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

It's not about as good a charge, it's about as fast a charge. A device will always charge quicker through the wall socket than USB as USB does not distribute as much power.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #57
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

That's why they call USB charging "trickle charging". It is as good of a charge, just slower.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 PM   #58
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8700cNYC
The are a few entries in the blackberry.alx file from the O2 version .351, that state GPRS | UMTS.

Would you delete the {| UMTS} section of that statement as well as changing the other two UMTS related entries?
radio="GPRS|UMTS" means GPRS -OR- UMTS. Also to note, you can simply remove the radio="" lines to wildcard the feature (as it is with every other theme). I'm going to install this tonight and correct my posted ALX, if it needs correcting.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #59
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

so whats the latest word on this 4.1.0.466 update? go or no-go? battery problems? volume problems? i dont use zen so dont care about zen problems... more interested in general speed/performance/volume/responsiveness.

sort of afraid to load this after reading about these battery drain issues.... hope these were just unrelated or coincidental
Old 09-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #60
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

Well, I'd been running the previous Bharti version for months with no battery issues. Since I loaded the latest (about a week and a half ago) I've had at least 4 days where the extended battery drained down to 25%. Today, it only drained down to 75%. After the second time, I swapped the battery with another so it's not the battery.

Does this mean it's the new release? Nope, but I can't find anything else that changed. Who knows, maybe the Cingular cell site across the street went south and I was transmitting at full power for those 4 days in order to reach another cell site.

Anyway, I'm not going back and I'll keep looking for something different.
Closed Thread