BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Annette

Model: 7100g
Default Freedom Keyboard connections problem

Please Login to Remove!

We are attempting to connect a freedom keyboard to the cingular 7100g. The drivers were downloaded to my laptop and appear to be working fine. We were not able to download the drivers directly to the BB.

We have made numerous configuations changes and nothing seems to work communicating back and forth between the keyboard. We did insert a battery and assured that is working in the keyboard.

Does anyone have some good instructions that we might try? Thanks for any help!

Annette
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

I successfully connected my friend's 7100g to freedom keyboard, with no problems whatsoever.

Freedom keyboard uses two AAA batteries. Two, not one.

Freedom keyboard has small On/Off swtich on left corner. Make sure you turn it on, small light will start blinking.

7100g must have bluetooh enabled. It is small blue color icon.

If nothing helps, you may have defective keyboard. Sure, my experience is of no comfort to you, but be assured that all I had to do on blackberry is find damn bluetooth feature, which is very hidden in the theme this 7100g was using, and turn it on.

Other that installing drivers, of course, and I installed those over the air no problem.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

Mine worked great until I upgraded to OS 4.1; now it doesn't. I have sent an email to supprot to no avail ...
Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
Annette

Model: 7100g

AHHHH ... the version could be a problem. I do have the required number of batteries in place.

I too had sent in a request to Blackberry and the response I received was read the documentation. Unfortunately, nothing applied to the problem.
alslsb, if you receive a response from BB, please post.

I wonder if I should try a different keyboard ... and if so, what kind that is not going to be a hassle to install???
Old 08-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
jzs3

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Freedom Keyboard---key not working???

Hello: I have an 8700g with OS4.1 and recently purchased Freedom Keyboard. I have been able to establish connection with Bluetooth. The function key is the only key that is working. The green light on the keyboard is blinking properly (2 quick green blinks every 2 seconds). NONE of the keys (other than the "function" key) are working, whatsoever??? I can toggle between Email-Tasks-Calendar-Memo with the function key....that is it.

Any ideas??

jzs2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
I successfully connected my friend's 7100g to freedom keyboard, with no problems whatsoever.

Freedom keyboard uses two AAA batteries. Two, not one.

Freedom keyboard has small On/Off swtich on left corner. Make sure you turn it on, small light will start blinking.

7100g must have bluetooh enabled. It is small blue color icon.

If nothing helps, you may have defective keyboard. Sure, my experience is of no comfort to you, but be assured that all I had to do on blackberry is find damn bluetooth feature, which is very hidden in the theme this 7100g was using, and turn it on.

Other that installing drivers, of course, and I installed those over the air no problem.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

Hi,

This is Chris from Freedom.

Can all of you who are having problems with your Freedom keyboard email me (or PM me) with a phone number where we can reach you please?
Paul in our IT department will call each of you on monday and sort out the problems for you.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Hi all,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. There have been some issues with the server our support suite is hosted on which has delayed the support service slightly and it is being replaced and upgraded over the next two days.

In my experience the BlackBerry is the most reliable of devices to connect with and any problems normally come down to one of 4 things which are easily fixed. If you have any problems please check the 4 steps below in this order and it should resolve them.

1) The wrong drivers are installed:
There are two drivers one for 4.1 and older based BlackBerry's and one for 4.2 based BlackBerry's.

2) The keyboard is not paired in SPP mode:
If the SPP/OFF/HID switch is not fully pushed to SPP when it is first Paired then it may pair but not using the SPP Protocol.

You will be able to tell this is the case by going into the device properties for the keyboard under the bluetooth paired devices list. At the bottom you will see "Services:" and if it is correctly paired you should see "SPP Slave".

If you do not then slide the switch on the keyboard all the way to the right then firmly push it all the way to the left again. Then on the BlackBerry press the menu button and select "Refresh service list". You should now see "SPP Slave" appear.

3) Keystroke injection is set to deny:
This is more of a problem for the newer handhelds as RIM changed the default settings for keystroke injection from Allow to Deny. In basic terms Keystroke/Event injection is what the keyboard uses to input the characters to the BlackBerry.

When this is set to Deny you will be able to connect the keyboard and it will appear to work but when you press a button on the keyboard it will not input the text and you may get an interesting error message saying something like "Keystroke injection doesn't allowed on your device" (bad grammar included).

This is the error message that is generated by the BlackBerry itself and is the warning that something (the keyboard in the case) has tried to use Keystroke injection and the BB has stopped it. With some handhelds the BB will lock which often means you have to pull the battery to reset it (please let me re-iterate that this error message/warning is not something we designed ).

To fix this you need to change the keystroke injection settings on the handheld to stop it from blocking the keyboard. You can download instructions on how to do this on the newer trackball BlackBerry's but the process is the same for the scroll wheel BB's too (just press the scroll wheel instead of the menu button).

Instructions: http://freedominput.com/site/adminis...r=name&srt=yes

4) You are connected to a BES which has applied a restricted Policy to your Handheld:

Normally this is another Keystroke injection issue. The changes RIM made to the handheld settings where also made to the newer BES software so by default keystroke injection is set to Deny. Depending on the handheld and other policy settings you might still be able to just make the changes on the handheld. However if you can not (the only option you have is Deny) then you will need to get your BES admin to create a software configuration for the keyboard.

There is a detailed step by step guide for doing this which I can forward to anyone that needs it and is also available from our support suite.

There are also a number of other settings on the BES which could effect the setup or connection of the keyboard. The majority of the time these aren't a problem (on most BES's they are still in their default settings which is fine). On some however these might need to be changed for the keyboard user.

These settings are also documented in the BES document under the trouble shooting and other settings section.

Last edited by Paul Bowles; 08-06-2007 at 06:02 AM..
Closed Thread