BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Have you played with one and found yourself with iPhone evny?
Not only Yes, but Heck Yes. 5 21.74%
A little. 1 4.35%
Not really. 2 8.70%
Are you kidding? You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold dead hands. 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
USA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW
Default Storm Users: Have you handled the iPhone 3G S and now have envy?

Please Login to Remove!

...well I do. Don't get me wrong - I love BlackBerrys; I advocate them to my consulting customers, and I install BES servers. For the business customer BlackBerrys work, and work well. But when I worked with the new iPHone 3G S I said to myself, "damn!"

My wife replaced her Pearl (on a BES) with a 3G S with 32GB. She asked me to setup the new device for her on her Exchange server with ActiveSync. Well, it was _so_ responsive . . . to everything. Also, Interent browsing is so fast its sick. The browser speed is faster than my Storm on VZW both with 3G AT&T, and WiFi. But that's not the whole story; I've seen tests with BlackBerrys using EDGE, and 3G and the network seemed to make a modest difference. The OS and the browser seem to be render pages much faster. I have no proof of this but I think that the lack of multi-tasking (more free memory?), plus tighter code in the software is what is causing much of the superior performance.

Whatever the reason, I find myself looking at her iPhone on the kitchen counter thinking about how much it would cost me to break my contract early with Verizon.

Have you played with one and found yourself with iPhone evny?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
roban

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Credo

I know exactly what you mean. My daughter has an iphone and I suffer from envy every time I see her using it. I understand that verizon is close to making a deal with Apple and this may come to fruition by year's end. If it does happen I am moving to the iphone.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
stormy123

Model: storm
Carrier: vodaphone UK
Default Storm

A colleague at work has one and at the end of the day it is a consumer product, so a bit pants and no real backend infrastructure.
The Storm links to my BES server and gives me instant email and corporate access to applications.

Fantastic and I would not do without it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

Once you go black(berry), you'll never go back!

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
genericbrand
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLAK View Post
Once you go black(berry), you'll never go back!
I just upgraded from the 8830 to the enV touch and the next day I returned it for a storm. I was asked why and that was exactly what I said and it is true.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
sswyden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Yes, I totally get the iphone envy, any model for that matter. I'm a big blackberry proponent in business and personally, but imho, the iphone/ipod touch UI is pretty tough to beat. To get the best of both worlds, I now carry a vzw berry (8830), a touch (V3,wifi), and a vzw mifi, which allows me to get the touch on the net anytime I want. However, the functionality does have it's drawbacks. I don't think I'll ever type fast enough on the touch screen with any accuracy, and I sure wish I could run multiple apps. Maybe I can, and just don't know how. So to stay productive, I'll keep my berry with the external qwerty keyboard and solid O/S... (Me.Tour>July.12), and keep using my Ipod Touch for my envy therapy
Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswyden View Post
Yes, I totally get the iphone envy, any model for that matter. I'm a big blackberry proponent in business and personally, but imho, the iphone/ipod touch UI is pretty tough to beat. To get the best of both worlds, I now carry a vzw berry (8830), a touch (V3,wifi), and a vzw mifi, which allows me to get the touch on the net anytime I want. However, the functionality does have it's drawbacks. I don't think I'll ever type fast enough on the touch screen with any accuracy, and I sure wish I could run multiple apps. Maybe I can, and just don't know how. So to stay productive, I'll keep my berry with the external qwerty keyboard and solid O/S... (Me.Tour>July.12), and keep using my Ipod Touch for my envy therapy
i have to say your right about the UI . it would be cool if the storm had a advance mode and a simple mode where the simple mode the UI looks close to a apple setup and i think more people might like that. and when people are in the office then just click on an option go to the advance mode where you have all the menus and options. i think blackberry might score alot of points if they come out with something like that. i too have the freedom input keyboard still acts up on the storm works better on the bold and 8300 that i have.