Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
Milleon

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbs786 View Post
BlackBerry Maps is loaded and Google Maps can be loaded directly from the Storm using the new Application Loader. Both appear to work with GPS.

Only read below if you want to read about a brief and initial comparison with the iPhone. Not relevant if you are locked into a non O2 contract or don't have an unlocked iPhone!

I was really keen to go back to the excellent messaging capabilties of the BlackBerry having used the iPhone on T-Mobile (factory unlocked from Italy!)

I think the Storm is an excellent step forward for RIM but I'm finding it not nearly as fast or polished as the iPhone which is dissapointing. My main cons so far are:

The classic BlackBerry speed and ease of use just isn't there for me. Screen rotation is much slower than the iPhone, the keyboard in landscape mode needs some getting used to - I keep making mistakes although the portrait mode SureType works well, and the point made above about quick dialling was a key feature for me previously which is missing in the Storm. Need a number of clicks to start dialling a contact. Both maps apps are slow at refreshing, browsing isn't as ingenious, smooth or fast as iPhone although I believe Flash is available unlike the iPhone. Ability to add new and quality Apps fast and cheaply is what makes iPhone special. RIM have taken on the idea with the App Loader but the quality and range is understandably poor at present - hopefully this will improve with time. Phone appears to get hot quickly too - maybe just mine and maybe because I was charging it while using it. Scroll feature is jerky. No wifi which can be a shame if you want to give your tariff a rest and utilise the many hotspots out there. Memory is low bt expandable. Synch software is still not as advanced as iPhone. Youtube image quality is not as good as iPhone (did a side by side comparison) although Storm loaded faster. Locked on Vodafone.

The pros noticed immediately are:

Sharpest display I've seen! Camera and Video Camera are excellent. Messaging is excellent just as you expect from BlackBerry including Push email. App Loader is a welcome feature and will get better. Clickable screen is nice - gives the reassurance of selection but may need getting used to at first. Also may slow down typing if you are a fast typer. Big screen area. Smart looking handheld. All the usual BlackBerry apps and more loaded including MS Office editing software. Internet is fast and best display on BlackBerry to date. Shows the satellites locked on by GPS. Calendar, task, notes are much better than iPhone. Test editing capabilties are better thsan iPhone. Can receive MMS unlike iPhone. LED notification. Notifications alerts are custmisable unlike the iPhone.

I'm sure I'll notice more as I use it.
This was an excellent and very useful review. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #23
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Rtfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Oh my how can they not have home screen shortcuts and no speed dials. Oh well. Since my BOLD is mainly a business device I will stick to that. I still think the best combo is a BOLD and an iTouch
Ok straight from the manual on speed dial - someone confirm this please -
Speed dial
Set up speed dial for a contact
1. In the phone application, press the
Menu key.
2. Click
View Speed Dial List.
3. Click an unassigned key.
4. Click
New Speed Dial.
5. Click a contact.
To make a call using speed dial, in the phone application, hold the key that you assigned to the contact.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

For those of you who are having a problem with the OS not being as snappy as you want it, this will help--> Options>Advanced Options>Applications select Vodaphone Live!>BB button> contect menu>uninstall/delete. Then the device will need to reboot.

Now this is if you don't use this feature. But it does free up some memory and it seems at least to make the device overall snappier.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
For those of you who are having a problem with the OS not being as snappy as you want it, this will help--> Options>Advanced Options>Applications select Vodaphone Live!>BB button> contect menu>uninstall/delete. Then the device will need to reboot.

Now this is if you don't use this feature. But it does free up some memory and it seems at least to make the device overall snappier.
If its like the Bold there is still only 128mb of OS memory and I don't know how big 4.7 is, but my Bold is running is 4Omb or so free on reboot and drops to 20 or so with usage. It's not memory leak fyi. For example if you load maps they gotta go somewhere until flushed. Yes you will have to watch was you load. Some apps take alot of memory. I had my BOLD flush my emails which I never had on my Curve. This was with .167 which was a larger build.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #26
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
If its like the Bold there is still only 128mb of OS memory and I don't know how big 4.7 is, but my Bold is running is 4Omb or so free on reboot and drops to 20 or so with usage. It's not memory leak fyi. For example if you load maps they gotta go somewhere until flushed. Yes you will have to watch was you load. Some apps take alot of memory. I had my BOLD flush my emails which I never had on my Curve. This was with .167 which was a larger build.
No I'm not saying theres a memory leak. All I'm saying is that the removal of this application is making the device not so sluggish, that's all.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #27
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

Will traditional screen protectors work on this screen, or does the "click" function cause problems?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CAAE94
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Should work, I have screen protector from factor and it looks like everyone around.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #29
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Speed dial

Menu key.

2. Click View Speed Dial List.

4. Click New Speed Dial.

5. Click a contact.
To make a call using speed dial, in the phone application, hold the key that you assigned to the contact.

There is indeed a Speed Dial feature as you describe. I think my point was that it requires three "key" depressions compared with a single press from the home screen on Curve etc.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #30
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Speed dial
Menu key.
2. Click
View Speed Dial List.
4. Click
New Speed Dial.
5. Click a contact.

Yes, Stinson is correct and this is how you set speed dial. It's a nice short-cut.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #31
david_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
Ringer Volume???? Adequate??
Yes, all fine in that department.

Can now adjust ringer/alert volume from 1 - 10. But the ability to repeat an alert has disappeared, bummer as I used to use the same tone but have it repeat twice for email, once for SMS.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #32
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Also, heres a video of a production Vodafone Storm and it's rotation time. You'll see it's from landscape to portrait that takes the most time. Also keep in mind that there are already 3 new builds beyond .65. So you all have something to look forward to.

YouTube - Blackberry rotation

Edit: Here is a picture taken with the Storm from the same person who made the video.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1226773127

Last edited by Jason Mark; 11-15-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #33
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Thank you for sharing the videos. I did not realize that it would switch over automatically.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
iteatsbrains
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

:O!
I want one. right now.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #35
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post

Edit: Here is a picture taken with the Storm from the same person who made the video.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1226773127
That was really taken with the Storm's camera? Dang..
Old 11-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #36
ChesterJT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Referring to the keyboard taking up a lot of the screen, is there an option to resize it? Like the font or size of the keyboard to free more space up or is it static and unchangable? And for that matter, does changing the font size under options affect how large the typed letters are and by default change the size of the replying-to message so that you have more room to type?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #37
EdTurner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
Yes, all fine in that department.

Can now adjust ringer/alert volume from 1 - 10. But the ability to repeat an alert has disappeared, bummer as I used to use the same tone but have it repeat twice for email, once for SMS.
Can you turn the volume off for e-mail while leaving the sound on for receiving calls?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #38
david_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTurner View Post
Can you turn the volume off for e-mail while leaving the sound on for receiving calls?
Yes, there's a Sound Profile named Phone Calls Only.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #39
david_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterJT View Post
Referring to the keyboard taking up a lot of the screen, is there an option to resize it? Like the font or size of the keyboard to free more space up or is it static and unchangable? And for that matter, does changing the font size under options affect how large the typed letters are and by default change the size of the replying-to message so that you have more room to type?
(1) No option that I can find to change keyboard size. Of course in portrait mode there's more vertical space - if you like SureType.

(2) Changing font size does not affect the visible area - when replying to a message, you still only see a single line without scrolling.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #40
evilblade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CAAE94
Carrier: Vodafone UK

David,
Did you find, how to fast forward track or search track? (any progress bar or maybe something similar to space travel - time of tune)

Regards
ps. you can ping me if you want.