Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Elito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SPRINT
Default Storm 3 rumored

Please Login to Remove!

I read on several rumor sites about a Storm 3 and one site even said it could be presented at CES in April. One guy said he had a hands-on experience of the device. Anybody know anything about a Storm 3? Links below

BlackBerry Storm 3: First Inside Look - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

Blackberry Storm 3 - StreetHop.com
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Storm 3 I am still waiting for the Tour2!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Continued use of gimmicky sure-press screen = FAIL
Sorry RIM but a touch screen is not suppose to click and trying to make it do so isn't fooling anyone into thinking its like a real keyboard.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

So sayeth the fan of all iPhones
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
So sayeth the fan of all iPhones
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

The Storm2 works great for me, faster typing than on any BlackBerry I've had.

'course you wouldn't know that.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
The Storm2 works great for me, faster typing than on any BlackBerry I've had.

'course you wouldn't know that.
I played with the Storm 1 and hated it. Most of what I've read about the Storm 2 doesn't give me the opinion that it's much better. Some people do like the sure press, but it seems more hate it then like it. RIM will eventually see the folly of this gimmick and adopt the standard touch screen, like everyone else.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Continued use of gimmicky sure-press screen = FAIL
Sorry RIM but a touch screen is not suppose to click and trying to make it do so isn't fooling anyone into thinking its like a real keyboard.
I used to be on the same side of this debate as you up until 4 days ago when my wife bought the Storm 2. I've stolen a few moments with it and I can say I'm impressed. I've noticed amongst the phone geek forums more and more users are giving the Storm 2 a solid try ... as in purchasing quality used ones and they seem to be liking it even though EDGE data speeds on GSM networks is all they're getting.

Personally I think RIM has/is making 2 grave mistakes:
1. Advertise MORE about the Storm 2 ... specifically like Lego off the shelf robot with BT API's to control it ... and like they did with Storm 1 with that small development team having their app augmented to control an F1 car on a very small turn section of an F1 track. We need more highlights and advertisement from RIM about real world applications users can use ... provide us with apps to control things like Robo (vacuum cleaner), and the like.

2. No Tri-band 3G radio like the 9700 uses!! This alone would've increased local (N.American) and global sales of this device.

Also with respect to your comment that Screens where not meant to be clickable?! Dude where have you been for the past 14yrs? Just about every PDA had a screen which "clicked" via a membrane. The same could be said about mice/mouse ... Apple made the MBP's with clickable touchpad and they're where also initially shocked at until tried and users are LOVING them, so much so that HP is beginning to use them in their Envy and now TM2 tablet & HP Mini 210/HD laptops! Pretty soon well see more models using this.

Yes I've personally owned and used the iPhone 3GS as my exclusive phone ... and after many daily wipes and phone calls (leading to using a headset) I found that during this winter season my use for skin cream (a black man's gold for dry skin) lead to spurious inputs while trying to game or bang out emails (even with screen protector) became a nuisance just like resistive screen technology.

Apple just got granted with multi-point touch capacitive patents today (7 in total) which will further block competitors from implementing their own solutions to match or combat Apple in this front. With Inkwell also having software to work with the MacBook or MacBook Pro's (MB/MBP) clickable touchpad ... their is less a point in having a tablet laptop for artists to require.

Don't worry RIM is doing just fine and will continue to improve this .... almost to the point where the screen doesn't physically click but "pressure" will be sensed to differentiate the same way storm 2 currently operates. Read that well cause you heard it here first!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
Elito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SPRINT

So, no one here heard anything about a Storm 3? I want to know if I should go ahead and get the Storm 2 or be patient with my Curve 8330 and wait for the Storm 3.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito View Post
So, no one here heard anything about a Storm 3? I want to know if I should go ahead and get the Storm 2 or be patient with my Curve 8330 and wait for the Storm 3.
Not too much to say about it. It's only a rumor, we haven't even seen any rumored hardware specs.

We can only guess at a release. (If you want to the Storm2 I'd get it )

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Personally, I'd be happy to get a Storm 2 if I could get it running seamlessly with T-Mobile, and not have to pay $600 for it. When I briefly had the Storm 1, the SurePress text entry was one thing that didn't bother me at all, especially with my amped-up auto-text.

That said, I'd be very happy to get the rumored "Talladega" slider, too.

Ubizmo
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
I played with the Storm 1 and hated it. Most of what I've read about the Storm 2 doesn't give me the opinion that it's much better.
So again, you haven't used it; you don't know.

And playing with the Storm1 doesn't really qualify you have truly "used it". There's a big difference between the two, and Storm2 does work great. I used the Storm1 almost a year, and on the Storm2 now for six months. I can authoritatively state an opinion on both devices.

And of course, it's only your opinion that more hate it than like it. I don't think you've seen any quantitative data on that.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Storm 2 is a nice phone. It works. Enough said.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
And of course, it's only your opinion that more hate it than like it. I don't think you've seen any quantitative data on that.
I only know what I've read, and aside from fanboi blogs, most stories and articles I've read from people that look at all phones and platforms don't like the sure press.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
ubizmo

Quote:
I only know what I've read, and aside from fanboi blogs, most stories and articles I've read from people that look at all phones and platforms don't like the sure press.
Then indeed you haven't seen any quantitative data. And saying "apart from fanboi blogs..." is a lot like saying "except for the people who like it, others don't." That is, it's a tautology.

I'm no BB fanboi. Even though I've had a Curve for 2 years, there are many things about the BB platform that I don't like, but there are enough things that I do like that I haven't gone to another platform yet. I'm a heavy user of the text entry aspect of the BB. I was deeply suspicious of the Storm when I got it, but I found that my suspicions were unfounded. It was a pleasure to type on the SurePress screen. It wasn't a pleasure to lose EDGE twelve times an hour, so I sold it, but during the time I had it I formed a high opinion of the SurePress technology.

As a contrast, my wife had an iPhone for about six months. I used it regularly, and although I did get better using the iPhone's virtual keyboard (and after that, the MyTouch 3G), I never got anywhere near the level of speed and accuracy I reached after just a few days with the Storm. If I could have gotten the thing to work right on T-Mobile's network, I'd still be using it.

This also isn't quantitative data, but it's a counterpoint to the idea that only BB fanbois appreciate SurePress.

Ubizmo
Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

I guess I would just rather see a Storm with a regular capacitance touch screen. That's all.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
captthomason

Model: 9860
PIN: to bean

If your using an unlocked VZW Storm 2 on T-Mob/ATT that may be the cause of your EDGE issues. Buddy of mine got an unlocked Vodafone Storm 2 and does not have the EDGE issues.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
Shaolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

I think I'd be interested in a Storm 3 because I've always wished for a bigger screen. The Storm 2 wasn't a big enough improvement for me to get one.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
ubizmo

Quote:
I guess I would just rather see a Storm with a regular capacitance touch screen. That's all.
This review, which includes some commentary on the Storm 2 keyboard, may interest you.

Ubizmo
Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
ubizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by captthomason View Post
If your using an unlocked VZW Storm 2 on T-Mob/ATT that may be the cause of your EDGE issues. Buddy of mine got an unlocked Vodafone Storm 2 and does not have the EDGE issues.
I was using an unlocked VZW Storm 1, in fact, but you're right; that was the cause of the EDGE issues. The Vodaphone Storm 2 is the 9520, and they're pretty scarce in the US. Those that do turn up on eBay have been going for about $600. Call me cheap, but that's just more than I feel like paying. I'm eligible for an upgrade from T-Mobile soon, but there's no sign of any Storm there yet. But my 8900 is a great device, so I'm willing to wait a while and see what comes along.

Ubizmo
Closed Thread