BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
theblackcat

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Smile What do you do with your old BlackBerry?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this blog and just figured out how to post a new thread
Just an interesting thought, what do you do with your old BlackBerry, if you got old ones lying around at home from a few years ago and then you bought new BBs?

Do you:

1. Sell the old one on EBay or similar websites?

2. Sell the old one to friends/family?

3. Give it to friends/family?

4. Trade it in at the RIM website (or similar sites) for a new version? (you get some money back for giving up your old BB)

5. Keep it as a souvenir? --> old BB continue to lie in your drawer?

6. Donate? --> if there were a program like this would you donate your BB to a poor person in a developing country that cannot afford a BB? (A really really old version would make someone like that very happy!)

Just want to know what everyone thinks about this. I know BlackBerry is a dear friend to most of us, for example, I grew so close to it it feels like my pet!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

PS. Nice meeting you.

Cathy
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

I hate to sound rude, but why would a poor person need a BlackBerry? How are they going to afford the service needed to run it? I've never heard of donating BlackBerries to developing countries before. To me it sounds like donating a electronic piece of equipment to a village that does not have electricity, or does not have the funds to use the device.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (I'm a xxx35910;xxx28479; boy)

Why not recycle it?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I donate all of my old phones to various agencies to be given to their clients, normally abused women. The devices are activated for SOS calls only.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
I hate to sound rude, but why would a poor person need a BlackBerry? How are they going to afford the service needed to run it? I've never heard of donating BlackBerries to developing countries before. To me it sounds like donating a electronic piece of equipment to a village that does not have electricity, or does not have the funds to use the device.
Activated for SOS only calls - emergency use only.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Ahh okay. I'm just picturing a village with mud huts and no electricity and someone handing one of the villagers a BlackBerry, haha.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (I'm a xxx35910;xxx28479; boy)

That's kinda funny haha. Until a thread asks "dropped BB in mud. Pls help. Urgent!!!! BB pro needed!"
Old 02-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

I usually keep at least one as a backup just in case I need it. I actually have a curve and a pea as backups right now. You never know. I keep tons of older extra phones (not bb's...just reg cell phones) for my fiancé. She is SUPER rough on phones. And she tends to drop them a good bit. I buy her phones off ebay. She will never get a new phone....lol.. It'll be messed up in less 4 months....that's no joke.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon

In all seriousness, we know of villages in India were it's the only way to communicate since there are no phone wires, only towers. And as the other mentioned, only the phone part.
BTW I am saving mine to donate to third world areas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swami95000.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	18022  
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Personally, I keep them. I have a whole drawer full of old cell phones/accessories, including two RAZR V3s, a few Samsungs, and 6 various Blackberries. I keep them simply to mess around with and lend to friends who need a temporary replacement. I also keep a red/green 8320 (that iv replaced the housing on) as my backup in case anything happens to my current phone. Does anyone else here keep a collection of phones, or am I just going insane?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

I think the answers you receive will be a bit dependent on whether the BBs in question are for personal or business use. My company
  1. Trades in relatively new devices toward newer models
  2. Donates older models to a company that refurbs and donates them to women's shelters
  3. Sells some to employees
  4. Destroys any that can't be wiped
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
theblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I donate all of my old phones to various agencies to be given to their clients, normally abused women. The devices are activated for SOS calls only.
Cool...there are agencies like that? Where can I find one? Is BlackBerry donation advertized well? I have never heard of it actually...would you give more details on how to find an agency like this? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
theblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffused View Post
In all seriousness, we know of villages in India were it's the only way to communicate since there are no phone wires, only towers. And as the other mentioned, only the phone part.
BTW I am saving mine to donate to third world areas...
Strongly agree...actually in some developing countries people can't afford internet or laptop. The only way to stay connected would be actually, phone. And it's affordable.

How would you donate to third world countries? Is there an existing program like that?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
theblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Personally, I keep them. I have a whole drawer full of old cell phones/accessories, including two RAZR V3s, a few Samsungs, and 6 various Blackberries. I keep them simply to mess around with and lend to friends who need a temporary replacement. I also keep a red/green 8320 (that iv replaced the housing on) as my backup in case anything happens to my current phone. Does anyone else here keep a collection of phones, or am I just going insane?
Yeah you are not the only one there...me too, well with old phones. My family as well. Even my grandparents have couple old phones lying in their drawers. That's why I'm trying to find a way to put them to better use.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
theblackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOR View Post
I think the answers you receive will be a bit dependent on whether the BBs in question are for personal or business use. My company
  1. Trades in relatively new devices toward newer models
  2. Donates older models to a company that refurbs and donates them to women's shelters
  3. Sells some to employees
  4. Destroys any that can't be wiped
That's a very good point! Is this a common practice in the corporate world? Out of curiosity, is your company a large-size organization? I would assume it gets a deal with RIM for trading in older models for newer models? Smart...
Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackcat View Post
That's a very good point! Is this a common practice in the corporate world? Out of curiosity, is your company a large-size organization? I would assume it gets a deal with RIM for trading in older models for newer models? Smart...
I would call us mid-sized, but we only have about 80 users. We don't trade in to RIM, but to the service providers from whom we purchase the handhelds (Verizon, US Cell, etc.)
Old 02-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Me, I pretty much use them until they die.

First, a 7100t, I used until the radio broke. Next, an 8700g, I used until I couldn't stand the urge for a newer model with a media card, better media player, wifi, etc, and kept the 8700 as backup.

When the usb on my wife's 8100 gave out, she took over the 8700. She doesn't seem to miss the 8100, so she might use the 8700 forever, and it may last that long.

My 8820 is still working fine, and I may use it until it quits, the way things are going, but I'm itching for a next generation blackberry on TMO without a camera.

And by the way, I too understand that the developing world pretty much couldn't afford the land line infrastructure at the time and went straight to cell phones; and a cell phone is considered must have sort of in the way an autombile is in the west.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The 8700 is a workhorse, very difficult to break.

donate old BB's
Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Same here. I donated my pearl (and every other phone I've had) to the local PD. They have a program that gives them to battered women who can't afford a cell.

Kamau
Old 02-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have also sold mine on ebay to cover the cost of the new device. I have broken one and got another wet, had to replace it with new. I think I am about even over the years.

I might keep my 8310 in a few months when I upgrade for backup, it has been a good device and nice to have a backup.
Closed Thread