BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will the lack of WiFi stop you from buying a BB Storm?
Yes, this will stop me from buying a Storm. 86 31.05%
No, I still plan to buy a Storm. 136 49.10%
Indifferent. This is not an important feature to me. 55 19.86%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #21
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Invalid poll. Where's the beer?

Lack of wifi won't keep me from getting the storm. What WILL keep me from buying my fifth bb in 20 months will be the fact that if I do buy it, I'll suffer from lack of Wi-Fe.
DO what I did, get her a Blackberry Too! I us got 8130's and now she doesn't protest my addiction
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

the fact that rim seem to have sold their soul to vodafone and verizon, is pretty disappointing in itself. im not really interested in the storm. but if rim decide to follow the apple method in doing deals with carriers for future releases, android based phones are looking better as each day passes, even perhaps the next gen iphone will be worth a look into.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
the fact that rim seem to have sold their soul to vodafone and verizon, is pretty disappointing in itself. im not really interested in the storm. but if rim decide to follow the apple method in doing deals with carriers for future releases, android based phones are looking better as each day passes, even perhaps the next gen iphone will be worth a look into.
Because they came out with their first exclusive? That hardly consitutes selling their soul.

What carrier got the Bold first? (Rogers) What carrier got the 8200 first? (Tmo) What carrier didn't get the curve until a year after all the GSM carriers? (Verizon, Sprint) This is the first time I can think of that Verizon got a phone before any other carrier. Not to mention, it's a quad band gsm, so you can unlock it and use it on AT&T and Tmo (no 3G though) and you know Verizon knows this will happen.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

WiFi on a phone? What's up with that (lol)? Seriously I think this will make the iPhone look like an old phone (and it's a new phone). If it lives up to its hype VZN will do pretty well with this. Where I live VZN rules the landscape and the intro of a cutting edge touchscreen BB will probably shut down iPhone sales for ATT with the exception of some kids who want it for music and video mainly.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #25
hcheun

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
Don't forget over sea its only GSM edge so WIFI will be realy mis.
Don't forget that the GSM is not "edge" but it's HSPA! so that's also something to ponder about

I'm also surprised about the whole misconception that the GSM radio on the Storm is only edge capable when the docs clearly state it'll do HSPA 3G GSM frequencies!
Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #26
hcheun

Carrier: AT&T

Oh and btw, I will buy one regardless haha
Old 10-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #27
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

No. never had Wifi before. Dont know the difference

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
StuartV

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiecool View Post
Wirelessly postedI wonder what were they thinking when they decided to exclude WIFI in a iphone comparable device?
Probably that they can sell a million of them for a relatively high price without WIFI. Then, 6 months later, sell another million when they release a new model that has WIFI (iPhone, then iPhone 3G sound familiar?). And maybe even release the new model with a different name and model number, as exclusive to some other carrier besides Verizon. (makes me wonder if Verizon's exclusivity covers ALL touchscreen models, or if it only covers the 9500 series - in which case, what would stop RIM from releasing a 9600 later that is essentially identical, maybe with WIFI added, and that is not exclusive to Verizon?)

Regardless, that way, they sell 2 million of them, instead of 1.2 million, or however many they would sell if they released it with WIFI right from the start.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #29
mickeyk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Doesn't matter to me I never use wi-fi anyway.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
Don't forget over sea its only GSM edge so WIFI will be realy mis.
Not true, It supports 2100MHz 3G.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
muck

Carrier: optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Because they came out with their first exclusive? That hardly consitutes selling their soul.

What carrier got the Bold first? (Rogers) What carrier got the 8200 first? (Tmo) What carrier didn't get the curve until a year after all the GSM carriers? (Verizon, Sprint) This is the first time I can think of that Verizon got a phone before any other carrier. Not to mention, it's a quad band gsm, so you can unlock it and use it on AT&T and Tmo (no 3G though) and you know Verizon knows this will happen.

Vodafone locks up BlackBerry Storm
ok.. so i hastily added verizon. but down here, vodafone seem to have locked it in for lifetime of the handset, in australia.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #32
hop2000

Model: Touch

My last phone had wifi and I used it maybe twice. Being from the tri-state area, I have great 3G coverage so it is not really an issue for me. I guess it really depends on location. Wouldn't stop me at all from buying this phone.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #33
mike2160

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Question Tried the Iphone

I tried the Iphone just so I could get a feel for the large touch screens. That was thursday, taking it back to ATT Saturday. Vzw has alot better service and network for me. But the browser was really something on the I phone and my home service would have really liked wifi too.
No wifi and will the browser compare to the Iphones?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #34
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Because I've never had a Verizon BlackBerry, it's hard for me to judge whether I will miss Wifi or not. It's a blessing to me now where EDGE is my top speed - and GPRS at home is my top speed - so it really does increase the quality of my browsing and phone calls. However, I have witnessed how fast my mom's Verizon Curve is, which makes me think this would not be such an issue for me. Ah, well. Time will tell - and whether I crack over the Storm once it's actually released.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #35
Soxfan04
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have excellent coverage from Verizon at home and work so no wifi is not an issue for me.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #36
ApacheIndian
No longer Registered.

wifi is passe, comparable to dial-up internet
Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #37
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Wifi is much better than EVDO or 3G. Why these Verizon people try and diminish it's worth is beyond me. Don't worry, it will be included in the the NA GSM version.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #38
david_uk

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

If my head rules my heart, I'll be thinking hang on, aren't all those Apple fanboys telling us that touchscreen is all about browsing? So, isn't WiFi the obvious way to go? Plus, RIM didn't get the 3G chip right on Bold, so what if Storm's no better? All that lovely screen real estate, spoiled by trade-off between spotty 3G/2G handover, crippled 2G or daily battery charge?

Better stay tuned to BBF and let you early birds tell me if I should go touch or wait for Jav.

OTOH, if my heart rules my head, I'll be down the Vodafone store flashing the plastic at 08:00 on 5th Nov shouting stuff the recession, I want one.

Watch this space.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #39
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

NO WI FI NO storm for me
1-the GSM bands will not includ 3G so for international only GSM,
in the USA verizon only
so if no wifi at list put in the 3G
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #40
kjjb0204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
Wifi is much better than EVDO or 3G. Why these Verizon people try and diminish it's worth is beyond me. Don't worry, it will be included in the the NA GSM version.
Not so sure.... google "blackberry wifi speed" and you'll see the majority of reports show that wifi on a bb is no faster than edge. EVDO is often faster than wifi. I'm thinking that as the processors and memory continues to develop on the newest bb models like the storm (if wifi were included) and bold, wifi may start to show distinct speed advantages over evdo or edge, but on the curve and 8800 series, wifi doesn't give a distinct advantage for most users, according to reports from bgr, engadget and others.
Closed Thread