Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Quick bold question about locking it

Please Login to Remove!

I lost my bold yesterday morning, but it's been 2 days and it's still on.

I have a password on it, with 5 attempts.

The phone is still on, it's been like... 35+ hours since I lost it.

If they typed it wrong 5 times, then the phone does a master reset, so all my stuff is gone right? BUT, they can still boot the phone up and then make calls right? It will be like a brand new phone, with none of my stuff on it?

I'm confused as hell, they aren't answering my calls, but if you find someones phone and don't want to give it back, why is he still letting it sit and idle? No calls have been made from it, I asked my provider. Would a normal person just put in their sim card and be done with it?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Kriptic Katerpillar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone U.K

Cant answer your specific queries but why dont you just call your provider and get them to terminate the sim and phone before any real problems arise like huge phone bills?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I got them to disable my long distance and data so my bill doesn't get too crazy. But I'm not telling them to cancel it because I'm still trying to track it down. If they make *one* phone call, I can get that number from my provider since they called from my SIM, find out the address and go and break some legs =)

The new finder of my phone doesn't seem to be using it though heh...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Check under your car seat and you may get lucky or at best - I hope you find it. Call your carrier and terminate the sim... They can get you a new one and tie it to your account. Yes, after 5 tries you will no longer have your data... If no activity, maby you left it at your favorite restaurant and your favorite waitress is waiting for you to return...

Good luck...

H.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
Kriptic Katerpillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
Well I got them to disable my long distance and data so my bill doesn't get too crazy. But I'm not telling them to cancel it because I'm still trying to track it down. If they make *one* phone call, I can get that number from my provider since they called from my SIM, find out the address and go and break some legs =)

The new finder of my phone doesn't seem to be using it though heh...
I hope you find it soon, & as Holden says trying looking everywhere you have been since you last saw it, you may get lucky

I understand you wanting to catch the little terror that may have swiped it but personally i wouldnt wait to cancel the sim & handset, at least you'll not be out of pocket and they wont be able to sell it either!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
sqldump

Model: x
Carrier: n/a

What are the last four digits in your cell number?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Kriptic Katerpillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqldump View Post
What are the last four digits in your cell number?
why?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
habanos_r_us

Carrier: ATT

On my old Treo I used to run a program called Butler that allowed you to selectively wipe your treo and/or your memory card by sending a text message to your phone.

Worked great. Wish there was something for the Blackberry. I know there is something if you have an enterprise server but if your an individual it's not cost effective to set one up.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
ijaz_81

Carrier: Telstra

Yeah unfortunately once he enters the BB password wrong 5 times it will wipe all the data, and he can then enter his own sim and use it.

But depending on your carrier, they can make the phone useless.

here in oz if you lose your phone you ring your carrier, they lock the sim and enter the imei number into a national database of lost phones, if its used then it sends an alert and the cops can track em down. I know this because i used to be involved in the dept that looked after this at Telstra.

Im sure your carrier will have something like that. However i do hope you find it.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix View Post
If they typed it wrong 5 times, then the phone does a master reset, so all my stuff is gone right? BUT, they can still boot the phone up and then make calls right? It will be like a brand new phone, with none of my stuff on it?
Here is where you will be happy that this is a device with security in mind. There is something called a security policy that gets applied to your device when you change some of those security settings like enabling a password. This cant be erased!!!! it is part of the OS and even after a wipe it will retain the security policy and prompt for a password. Now there are ways (very technical ways) of erasing the policy from the device but it does take a tech knowledge and some time. so worse case they can if they are smart enough to wipe the security policy back to a default one.

Also the other thing is that lets say you had a AT&T phone and they had a AT&T phone they can take their SIM from their phone and just use your device as a glorified PDA. If they ever register it on the network for data or BIS and you have marked the PIN as stolen then they wont be successful.

I would still call your provider and tell them you think it is lost can they put a temporary hold on the account and notify you if there is any attempt to use it. I know this stops you from being able to call it to figure it out but stops a $200 phone bill as well. even local calls could get quite steep.

this is also why it is important to put a IF lost call xxx-xxx-xxxx on the home screen when you lock it so that if someone honest finds it they will return it if not then you know its gone forever.
Closed Thread