BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
yababy

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default 9700 phone case problem anybody noticed?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I have not posted here in years but I just upgraded to the 9700 from the original curve on Monday Nov. 16th and there is a problem with the case. The T-mobile salesman here in San Jose, California had first said the case was an improvement cause it is the leather case with the sleep mode snap cover and has the belt hook.

The problem is the elastic on the left side covers the USB plug by about 1/8 of an inch. You have to move the elastic out of the way otherwise the USB cable/charger will either not go in or it will not lay flat cause part of the rubber part will lay on top of the elastic. You cannot just move up the phone to sit higher in the case cause the fit is too tight.

The T-mobile salesman said he couldn't help me cause if one was made this way, then they were all made that way. He also said quite surprisingly, that they must have designed it so that when you use the plug or the charger you must take it out of the case. Unbelievable!!

Can anybody else confirm this design mistake in the case? In comparison the case of my curve has at least 1/2 inch space between the USB plug and the elastic. So, obviously this small detail on the 9700 somehow got overlooked. Or did my store or San Jose area just get the batch of 9700's with the badly made cases?

Now, since my T-mobiel store won't help me. Can someone suggest, how I get my problem solved?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Ive never heard of a case being made to charge the phone via usb while in the case.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I can confirm my case is the same, but..

I never (ever) charge the BB in the case and the elastic was easily moved out of the way..
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
yababy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Ive never heard of a case being made to charge the phone via usb while in the case.
This is the standard case design that has leather in the back and front, elastic on the sides and the top is the flap that closes via a magnetic "latch" that when it closes it puts the BB into sleep mode.

anyway, there are only two plugs, the headphone jack and the usb cable. Why wouldn't anyone want to leave the case on at all times? And the headphone jack is already exposed. why not give another 1/4 inch for the USB to be able to plug in? how many times have I or others come close to pushing the BB off the table when it was charging from the PC or notevook via the USB cable? The case is all that is protecting it.

Anyway, as I said the curve I had from three years ago, it's similar case was perfectly designed. Why not this one?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Probably need to ask someone at RIM about that.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I mentioned nothing about the case, merely that Ive never heard that they make them specifically for the ability to charge when holstered.
I don't think they actually think of that.
Its probably just luck that the curve case allowed this.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
andrej770
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would say change your expectations. This is not a curve and the case is not like a curves. There is nothing in the instructions that says you should be able to charge the phone while holstered. If you have a personal preference, then buy a different case. Just sounds very mellow-dramatic to me. You can afford the new phone; get the case you like. Don't get cheap now. You didn't buy the phone cause it came with the case anyway. Does Cheese come with that Wine. I'm sorry. I have no sympathy for early adopters that wine. Forgive me! "Perfectly designed" OMG! ok, ok I'm sorry!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
pvdilf40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Give the guy a break andrej770. He's raises a legitimate point about the included case. I always charge my BB in the holster and it's a little disappointing to hear that Tmobile didn't think of that. The holster protects it always unless I'm using it. Oh, I forgot, I have a curve so I guess that doesn't count as a real BB in your opinion? BTW, I paid more for the 8320 two years ago than I did for the 9700 that should be arriving tomorrow.

You're harping on a guy for being "cheap" yet there are plenty people posting this board that they are upset that they can't get a full upgrade price unless they add a data plan. For the life of me I can't even understand why anyone would want a 9700 in all it's 3G goodness without a data plan.

Yababy, thank you for your posts and awareness of the issue. There really isn't much that can be done but it's a good observation. Please ignore the overactive guff that you're catching about being whiny early adopter.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Heh... Every OEM holster I've had so far exposed the USB port such that the cable or wall charger could be connected when the blackberry was holstered. What am I missing? I too would think I got a Q/A reject if I got a new blackberry and the OEM holster covered the USB connecter or headphone jack.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-17-2009 at 09:46 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
.:BK:.
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yababy View Post
Hello, I have not posted here in years but I just upgraded to the 9700 from the original curve on Monday Nov. 16th and there is a problem with the case. The T-mobile salesman here in San Jose, California had first said the case was an improvement cause it is the leather case with the sleep mode snap cover and has the belt hook.

The problem is the elastic on the left side covers the USB plug by about 1/8 of an inch. You have to move the elastic out of the way otherwise the USB cable/charger will either not go in or it will not lay flat cause part of the rubber part will lay on top of the elastic. You cannot just move up the phone to sit higher in the case cause the fit is too tight.
Sorry for flaming, because I never do...but I also had the original Curve (8320) before the 9700 and if you didn't notice the "case" that came with the Curve was a pretty much worthless leather sleeve. If your not happy about the upgrade to a real case being included with this phone then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
yababy

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BK:. View Post
Sorry for flaming, because I never do...but I also had the original Curve (8320) before the 9700 and if you didn't notice the "case" that came with the Curve was a pretty much worthless leather sleeve. If your not happy about the upgrade to a real case being included with this phone then I don't know what to tell you.
But that is the point. With the curve we had to spend extra to get a good case that worked perfectly and doesn't cover any holes so you can use it or charge it in holder or out. Now they include a good case that looks like what we had to spend extra to get before, and they don't get it right with the new model.

I did try to contact RIM but I couldn't figure out on the website how to find who to call or email directly there. There were just a bunch of FAQ's, databases of Q&A's where they try to guess your question, links to other information and an area where you can join the BB owner's Lounge whatever good that does.

Well, anyway, I will put up with the case cause i don't have any option so far and I love the phone so far.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Funny, hadn't really looked at this and only took the case out the other day so I could use the sleeper function at work today. Anyway, I have the gel skin wrap on my phone that T-Mo sells for pretty much every phone and even with that case on it the fit is good and snug in the holster. And guess what? The addition of that case makes it so that the USB plug on it is perfectly exposed and past the elastic part!

Would much rather have a clip style holster that was much thinner, but I'd guess most of the time it will be in my pocket.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
yababy

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdilf40 View Post
Give the guy a break andrej770. He's raises a legitimate point about the included case. I always charge my BB in the holster and it's a little disappointing to hear that Tmobile didn't think of that. The holster protects it always unless I'm using it. Oh, I forgot, I have a curve so I guess that doesn't count as a real BB in your opinion? BTW, I paid more for the 8320 two years ago than I did for the 9700 that should be arriving tomorrow.

You're harping on a guy for being "cheap" yet there are plenty people posting this board that they are upset that they can't get a full upgrade price unless they add a data plan. For the life of me I can't even understand why anyone would want a 9700 in all it's 3G goodness without a data plan.

Yababy, thank you for your posts and awareness of the issue. There really isn't much that can be done but it's a good observation. Please ignore the overactive guff that you're catching about being whiny early adopter.
Thanks for that response. you interpreted my message perfectly, the way I meant it to be.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I just double checked the case that came with my AT&T version. It doesn't seem to cover the USB jack to the degree that Yababy indicates. While the elastic does indeed come right up to the jack, there is ample room to insert the plug. There seems to be enough upward play in the case as to not impede being able to charge the phone.

Maybe just a bit of sloppy workmanship on the case in question??
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Wow. Someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

My OEM case used to have enough room to plug in, which I would do once in a while. When the OEM case broke, I bought a new case that like the OPs just covers up part of the usb. Other than that it's a great case, but pretty annoying that they just missed leaving room for it.

Poor design. If you're going to cover it part way, just cover it for the extra protection. If not, take the fraction of an inch out.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #17
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

On a side note... i liked the original Curve's sleeve casing because I was able to slip it into my pocket.

The case for the 9700 is nicer and better quality but it's got the belt clip. Even without the clip the case is bulkier but is there a way to take the clip off?

I hate carrying a phone on the belt. It's so 90's.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:07 AM   #18
phrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

I'll trade you my unused 8900 Curve case for your 9700 new case...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #19
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

hehe i have my 8320 pouch so thatll do for now
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #20
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

use the 8300 case if its such a big deal.

I prefer the "extra" coverage.

I actually like the 8900 case the best (look wise, coverage wise only problem. It's a little damn too tight to have the phone with a skin on...which was something I used to.

It got it to fight, just a little tight getting it in and out sometimes.

I'll prob being using my 8900 case with the 9700 when I get it. Heard it's compatible.
Closed Thread