Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default SSH clients...?

Please Login to Remove!

aside from sonicadmin, Idokorro Mobile SSH and AVIDTelnet-SSH, are there any other SSH applications for a BlackBerry handset?

also, do any take advantage of BIBS yet? or are there any (is this even possible?) to utilize the GPRS network only instead of having to rely on MDS or BIBS?

we have a BES w/ MDS, however we'd prefer not to have to go through the internal server (not really sure for the boss's reasoning behind this).
Old 10-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Edit: As of early 2005, Idokorro MobileSSH has been reduced in price to $95
The client that I recommend is called Idokorro MobileSSH at http://www.idokorro.com ... It is the only one that works properly on BlackBerry at this time. Even at $199, it is the most inexpensive one. (Needtext costs $695 for example)

I use the Idokorro software and it works very well. They have generally been very responsive to my feedback and actually fixed some issues that I reported directly to them (even including BlackBerryOS 4.0 specific issues, even though 4.0 is unreleased)

Surprisingly -- unlike some conventional widsom -- the internal server method is actually more secure, because the BlackBerry Enterprise Server allows encrypted connections on all ends, and allows your BlackBerry handhelds to be automatically firewalled by your own internal server.

(1) MDS via BES is the more secure method
(2) BES makes it possible to firewall your servers even more completely -- so that only BlackBerries can ssh into an internal server (if that is the goal), rather than any external Internet-connected systems.
(3) BES is much more reliable than BWC, and usually less overloaded. Emails are faster, and connections are faster. Less waiting for connections to complete.

BES is no longer necessary for telnet/ssh for some carriers. By mid 2005 (guesstimate), it should be possible to do telnet/ssh on most carriers on a BlackBerry without BES.

Right now, on Telus and Nextel, you can use telnet/ssh without needing BES. Make sure you get a static IP address on the iDEN network, since that is necessary for stable telnet/ssh connections without MDS. You can do it on Rogers now too if you are using BlackBerryOS 4.0 (assuming you wipe the handheld completely and reinstall BlackBerryOS 4.0; some people had problems). Rumor has it, is that Verizon also works now with telnet/ssh. (still needs to be confirmed)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-26-2005 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-20-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Sorry mark, i think it's only fair:

MIDPSSH: FREE SSH FOR BLACKBERRY

at http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/

Last edited by headtailgrep; 07-27-2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-21-2004, 04:18 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

I've told my contact at Rogers about this. I think it's still undergoing a lot of beta stuff at this time. They insist it should work, but it may be only working with internal BlackBerries.

I think we have to wait until Rogers officially releases BlackBerryOS 4.0
Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah, i agree, that's the risk we take running a beta in beta.. no support (or self support) and in this case, i'll just wait, i've already accepted this fate, many weeks ago =)
Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

I'm up boys...

i had to have my device manually re-set on the Rogers switch, it was a profile issue on their end..

thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Default BTW, try this

http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/

Try this one.. it's GPL, free, just it's new..

No need to pay $199 either..
Old 01-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
sean5008

Default Re: SSH clients...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
aside from sonicadmin, Idokorro Mobile SSH and AVIDTelnet-SSH, are there any other SSH applications for a BlackBerry handset?

also, do any take advantage of BIBS yet? or are there any (is this even possible?) to utilize the GPRS network only instead of having to rely on MDS or BIBS?

we have a BES w/ MDS, however we'd prefer not to have to go through the internal server (not really sure for the boss's reasoning behind this).
I posted this link before but apparantly the moderators only allow Idokorro and Sonic Admin to be on this board. I have written them to ask about it but they never reply. You can draw your own conclusions. Here's the link: http://www.needtext.net/shell/

Like Mark say's below it's $695.00, but that's an unlimited user license vs. Idokorro's $199.00 PER user. If you are an enterprise with more that one admin, Idokorro is more expensive. If you are on the Nextel network you can use Needtext-Shell without having a BES. If you are a non-corporate single user environment like Mark, I suggest trying the free-ware or the Idokorro.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Idokorro doesn't need BES either -- you can now use it with BlackBerryOS 4.0 TCP/IP stack on several networks such as AT&T that enables the TCP/IP feature.

There's a student discount for Idokorro - $19.95 - which makes it a great deal for university students and faculty staff! They also sometimes grant discounts upon special request for deaf users who need relay services ( telnet://wireless.ip-relay.com:2510 ). Might need a special application form, not sure.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
sanju74

Model: 7700

Hello

Last edited by sanju74; 06-10-2005 at 02:14 AM..
Old 05-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

[QUOTE=Mark Rejhon]Idokorro doesn't need BES either -- you can now use it with BlackBerryOS 4.0 TCP/IP stack on several networks such as AT&T that enables the TCP/IP feature.

There's a student discount for Idokorro - $19.95 - which makes it a great deal for university students and faculty staff! /QUOTE]

Thanks, Mark. I'm faculty and have about 5 free connections left. How do I go about getting that discount?

By the way, I got Idokorro to work with Cingular, but it was so painful (at the cingular end) that I signed up with link2exchange just to minimize my interaction with Cingular tech support.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
ijg0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none

Has anyone had any success with Idokorro on a BWC setup?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #13
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijg0
Yes you can use Idokorro with BWC (without a BES). You must have BlackBerry OS 4.0 or above and have TCP/IP enabled on your device.

For more information on configuring TCP/IP on your BlackBerry read:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185

If you have problems please contact [email address] .
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijg0
I am trying out Idokorro (wish it was an easier name, gotta look it up every time). I do not have BES. I am connecting to my unix box with it. Had to configure the firewall, and get Nextel to give me a public static IP address $3/mo extra.
So far it works OK. The problem I have is that there are no right/left cursor keys on the keyboard or their special screen keys (where there is the ESC, F1, F2, etc.), there is no arrow keys. The wheel is suppossed to act like the cursor key when Scrolling is disabled, but I have tried that and cannot get it to work. If you need to get to the command line, I think this product will work, but other than that, I am undecided whether or not I can use it for other Unix applications. The screen is just so tiny, one could nearly go blind looking at it. When I increase the font size, the display becomes garbled/distorted. So far I can really only use it in the Regular font mode. I am still experimenting with it. You get 20 connections during the "trial period".
Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
The problem I have is that there are no right/left cursor keys on the keyboard or their special screen keys (where there is the ESC, F1, F2, etc.), there is no arrow keys. The wheel is suppossed to act like the cursor key when Scrolling is disabled, but I have tried that and cannot get it to work.
You must disable both scrolling and local input to make the scrollwheel transmit cursor codes. Editors work perfectly this way.

As for font size, which font are you using? You can also change the font in MobileSSH.

If fonts are garbled, this is likely a bug, and I'd like to know more about it. (I work at Idokorro)
Old 05-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju74
I feel mobile2servertroubleshooter is better option. This is very cheap and good solution. http://www.netcreativemind.com/m2st/

It supports ssh1, ss2 and telnet also. Seems to be a good option.
I can not recommend this program M2ST, because it looks like it is just a copy of MidpSSH with additional licencing function. In some of the screens it still says MidpSSH. Why should I spend 20$ for M2ST, if I can ge MidpSSH for free?

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #17
kmanig

Model: 800P

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst
I can not recommend this program M2ST, because it looks like it is just a copy of MidpSSH with additional licencing function. In some of the screens it still says MidpSSH. Why should I spend 20$ for M2ST, if I can ge MidpSSH for free?
who asked you to recommend, acnst. don't make false statment for someone other's product...i bought this software.. i got refrence from this site only...but no where i found MidpSSH as u said (In some of the screens it still says MidpSSH), and this is very diffrent from MidpSSH , M2ST has colour screen, font selection, telnet, ssh and connectivity is much batter.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 AM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanig
who asked you to recommend, acnst. don't make false statment for someone other's product...i bought this software.. i got refrence from this site only...but no where i found MidpSSH as u said (In some of the screens it still says MidpSSH), and this is very diffrent from MidpSSH , M2ST has colour screen, font selection, telnet, ssh and connectivity is much batter.
Before you come on here, as an employee and/or developer and/or owner of a company who has released a product, and decide to take the route of 'high and mighty' when replying to someone else's recommendations and observations on a product (even though the statements may be 'false'), it would probably be best to make sure you don't make it publically known that you represent the company you are supporting in your reply.

Now, you made the statement that you purchased this product, M2ST. You work for the f'n company. Call me cynical, but I doubt you purchased this product.

It is almost PATHETIC that you'd actually give your own product 5 stars on Handango, although I'm sure that is fairly common business practice with smaller developer-bases such as yourself (learn to spell, btw).

Quote:
a very new tech software and useful
kmanig from del, March 14, 2005
"this is a very new technology software and is very usefull for me to monitor my server even i m on holidays"
Moral of the story: If you are going to develop a product that looks and feels and functions the EXACT same as a product that was released as a free product, then don't ***** when someone points out that your product is nothing more than a $20 overpriced muppet when compared to its free counterpart.

Last edited by jibi; 07-27-2005 at 03:13 AM..
Old 07-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #19
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Whoa. A copycat of MIDPSSH but this time they are trying to make a profit off it..

http://www.netcreativemind.com/m2st/demo/m2st.html

Somehow I think this may violate the GPL, don't you think?

Where is the posted source code to this 'improved' application? Not doing that DEFINATELY violates the GPL..
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #20
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

This application will not download wirelessly..

also, i converted the JAD/JAR to .COD and i get 'verification errors' when starting the app...

so be it, i'm done..

i'm all for competition, i just hope it is done fairly.

if these guys are for real, release an improved MIDPSSH but at least release source code, then i'd have no problems as they are probably not in violation of the GPL.

RIght now however, they are in violation IF their software is based off MIDPSSH..
Closed Thread