Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
legaleye2005
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon
Default Mapquest vs Telenav ?

Please Login to Remove!

Can someone point out the pros/cons of both so I can decide which one to get...? I have a 8320 so I'll be using a bluetooth GPS puck... Thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Well, you can use Mapquest for free (see the threads in this forum on the Old Free version of Mapquest).

Works great, very fast, voice prompts. For the price it's hard to beat. Use it w/my Pearl and GPS puck and it's great.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

does mapquest give text to speech capability or is it just turn right in 40yd kind of thing
Old 02-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #4
lgrntbay

Model: 8310

Mapquest provides Text-to-speech for major highways, but the street names is clear on the screen, on highways it says the Exit Number, but not the street names.

I love it.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
KeithRos12

Model: 9800

I have been trying the paid versions of both. I am using a Freedom 2000 GPS with my AT&T 8100. Each program has pros and cons. Mapquest is half the price. Telenav allows you to enter addresses and preplan a trip online and it syncs with your berry. Mapquest has a night view that dims the screen. Telenav has a 3D follow me feature. Does not have a 2D. With Mapquest 2D follow-me you move off the screen and have to scroll the map yourself. Mapquest trial is only 7 days - not enough time to do a good eval. Telenav is 30 days - but only with the monthly plan. They both work great. I haven't decided which one to keep yet. I think I like the Mapquest display better and it has a pop-up screen with more info available. I hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

I too have been using both. I am a long time user of Telenav (more than a year now), and a brand new user of Mapquest (still in my 7 day trail).
I am running a Curve (8300 with GPS puck)

Right now, Telenav my my favorite. I am only day 2 into Mapquest so, this might change. And the preference small.

Here are some pros of each program that I see.
They are not really in any order. Just sat and started witting.

Telenav:
Great choices of map views. 3D, 2D, Turn view (arrows only).
Call in address. You can phone in an address via the telephone, use the speech recognition, and have that waypoint sent to your BB. I rarely use this feature, but it is a cool concept. Great for none QWERTY keyboards I imagine.
When typing in an address, It knows that you are going to start with a numbers and then go to letters. So when I type "wer main st" on my BB it knows that I meant 123 main st. No need to use the ALT/NUM keys. SMART feature.
Very fast re-route when I mess up. (usually)
Very good search for POI feature, you can really narrow it down to a specific category if you want when searching.
Able to pre-plan on the web. You can set up all your waypoints ahead of time. (MAPQUEST does have this too. I think it is in Beta though)
Voice traffic reports - True, they are not the best. The traffic voice updates just keep giving you chunks of 3-6 mile'ish increments, not letting you know the the traffic sticks for the nest 30 miles, not just 5 miles. But at least it has voice

Mapquest 5.0
Night Mode for the screen . (Duhhhhh Telenav; of course this is a cool feature)
Smart re-route - If you get just a street or so off course, the program is smart enough (because it downloaded overlaying streets around you) to very very quickly catch up and keep you in headed on the right course If you totally mess up, it does have to re-route/calculate and can take 5-15 seconds or so. This is an awesome feature. Smart and quick.
Send To Friend - Send your location to a fellow Mapquest user so they can meet up with you.
Cool "Route Details Screen" Tells you the basics. ETE, ETA, Compass Direction, Name/Address of destination.
Very fast movement between screens.
Near half the price for a year subscription.

There are more. I just can't think of them.

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

In my experience Telenav reroutes much faster... and doesn't offer the inane suggestion of "make a U-turn if possible" (gee, thanks).
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
In my experience Telenav reroutes much faster... and doesn't offer the inane suggestion of "make a U-turn if possible" (gee, thanks).
Yeah, I agree.

I am have been using Mapquest for a couple of days now. I am not sure what kind of crack it is smoking, but the instructions are fine until I get near the POI. I starts to give me a U-turn instead of simply turning. IE. I could have turned left at the intersection. Instead, it wanted me to go farther, make a U-turn and then make a right. Strange. It also did this with a right turn. Made me go farther, make a U-turn, and then make a Left. WTF?

If you don't make big mistakes, the smart re-route is very very fast on Mapquest. If it actually has to connect to the server and re-route, then yes, I think that Telenav does a better and faster job.

And in Mapquest, there seems to be no zoom (while in 3D) or volume control...lame

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmark1 View Post
I am have been using Mapquest for a couple of days now. I am not sure what kind of crack it is smoking, but the instructions are fine until I get near the POI. I starts to give me a U-turn instead of simply turning. IE. I could have turned left at the intersection. Instead, it wanted me to go farther, make a U-turn and then make a right. Strange. It also did this with a right turn. Made me go farther, make a U-turn, and then make a Left. WTF?
I noticed this also.

You gotta love navigation software that says, "you just passed it now turn around"...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

My advice would be to try whats free first..see if it adequate for your needs, if not, try the other during the trial and see if that will work for you...if not, you have no more options
Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye2005 View Post
Can someone point out the pros/cons of both so I can decide which one to get...?
Why not just try the options out there? You can get Mapquest for free and Telenav comes with a free trial if you sign up directly with them. Take test drives and see what works best first hand rather than relying on hearsay..
Closed Thread