Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
chidomafia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BIS
Unhappy problem unhiding hidden files on bb 9800

Please Login to Remove!

hello, please i have a serious situation at hand. i tried synchronizing files on my bb with my brothers laptop, i didn't know the laptop had viruses in it. in the process the media files i stored on the phone device got hidden. i have tried really hard to unlock the files because i was able to trace where they were been hidden and tried unlocking them through the use of the explore menu options on the media icon but i cant seem to unlock the files. please does anyone know what can be done in getting those media files back up or unhidden. any suggestions will be most grateful. thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: problem unhiding hidden files on bb 9800

If you connect your BB to a clean computer, can you find the files on the computer?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
chidomafia

yeah i tried using a clean computer to see the files but it was still hidden(its there but cant be viewed as u can only view thru the fone) just as when u look at it thru the fone. it just can't be unhidden(unless there is a medium or way in which i dnt know how to go about it). so what else can be done. the problem is this, any file i download on the device always goes to the hidden folder and until i do a proper search, i dnt always find it. its really pathetic and any suggestions out of this predicament will be appreciated.thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
freakinvibe

On the device, when you go to Media > Explore, I see my pictures in

\device\home\user\pictures
and
\device\home\user\camera

Where do you see the hidden pictures?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
chidomafia

yes the file path u mentioned above is correct only the files are music and video files n not pictures. so the correct path is \device\home\user\music and \device\home\user\videos. thats where the files are been hidden. the home folder cannot be unhidden no matter how hard i try and the same goes to the other subfolders underneath too(even a hard reset too cant bring it back). so what suggestions do u have for me to able to unhide them.

Last edited by chidomafia; 06-28-2012 at 06:56 AM..
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
freakinvibe

When you look at the properties of one of those files, is the "Hidden" check box ticked or not?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
chidomafia

when i check the properties of the subfolders eg the individual files in the subfolder music, its usually unchecked, but i found out the main folder itself example the properties of the home folder is where you cannot check or uncheck(blocked somehow) so making all the subfolders helpless.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
freakinvibe

The home folder cannot be made "hidden", the "hidden" tick box is always unchecked.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
chidomafia

my apologies for my lateness in the reply; you are wrong in your last message as the HOME folder is indeed hidden when checked thru properties. i have tried all i can to unhide it but cannot.i guess its the self-defense system of the fone that went n hid it automatically. the path goes thus device/home/user/music or device/home/user/video. even the pictures subfolder too was affected. now with the home folder's properties ticked, every subfolder there cannot be unchecked unless u copy the files from this folder to another folder in the device folder path. so any suggestion again pls??
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
freakinvibe

OK, I have done some tests. You can't change the "hidden" checkbox of the "home" folder on your Blackberry. You have to do the following:
  • Connect your Blackberry to your computer
  • Don't start Desktop Manager on the computer
  • You should now see a drive appearing in the Explorer on your computer
  • On this drive, navigate to the home folder, right-click and choose Properties
  • Un-tick the "Hidden" check box on your computer
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
chidomafia

i followed the instructions u gave me, connecting the phone to my computer and going into the home folder from device but when i right-clicked into properties,both attributes of the home folder were not accessible( read only and hidden). both are ticked n can't be unchecked. is there anything else i can do as i'm already out of ideas!! thanks for ur patience n time.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
freakinvibe

I think you are doing the USB connection in the wrong mode. There are three modes of USB connections:
  1. USB Drive
  2. Sync Media
  3. Charge Only

I guess you are connecting with the "Sync Media" mode and that is wrong. You must connect with the "USB Drive". Normally, your Blackberry would ask when you connect which mode you want.

Choose "USB Drive"

You will then see a new drive letter. Then go to the home folder and un-tick "Hidden".
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
chidomafia

i did as u asked and entered through the USB drive connection. unfortunately the hidden file home was now in form of a shortcut.when i tried acessing it, the antivirus on my system refused to allow me siting a "Malware threat". any solutions pls??
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
freakinvibe

There is definitely something wrong on your BB. "Home" should definitely be a real folder and not a link. The only suggestion I can give is to do a backup of the device and the do a full wipe of the phone. Restore everything, but no home folder.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #15
chidomafia

yeah i also think so cos when i initially tried opening the folders on the fone thru the usb drive, i saw the home folder, i then mistakenly tried opening it but the anti-virus on the computer popped up and then yanked the folder out leaving only the shortcut.the anti-virus still showed the same display 'malware threat'.cos as as right now, i dnt know where the home folder was taken to.also like other hidden folders, all had the same size (109kb) which was funny.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
tosinagunbiade

Carrier: Glo

im having the exact same challenge. have you been able to recover your files?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
chidomafia

nah i havent been able to recover them except thru the conventional of goin into the hidden folder n copying the file out and pasting it at a subsequent folder that is not hidden,but its a really frustrating process becos any files i try downloadin into the device always directs its path to the hidden home folder. the only way out suggested by my bb geek pal was to reload the OS(but back up ur important files first). i find that hard to do on my part as i prefer doin the copy n pasting from a hidden folder to a folder that is easily visible by the device.so whatever choice u take, those are the 2 dat i know. take care
Closed Thread