BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #21
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

JSanders, look at the GOP minority numbers and you will see its not just a perception. Great article by Pat Buchanan the other day on the struggles ahead for the GOP.
Is GOP Still a National Party? by Pat Buchanan on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

The party is shrinking because of its base and its perception. There are more minorities and more college educated voters. Both of those groups favor the Democrats by large margins. The Republicans gained strength in the South because they fought against segregation in most areas, for that they will continue to suffer with older minorities. For younger minorities its the issues and the perception that drive them to the Democrats.

They have to get more minority candidates, and I agree with dmead that moving away from the Christian Right should and will become a part of that strategy. People like Karl Rove and other strategists see this and will make the appropriate changes I think.

just my .02

PS I have voted for many Republicans, just depends on their stances. I wish they would remove the Party Line vote in all situations.

Last edited by test54; 01-28-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
buahahahahahahaa! Maybe a libertarian or what? There's a difference.

That, too, is a bunch of hogwash. For instance, here in Alabama, we (Republicans, and myself specifically) elected the first black Judge in the largest county in the state, and for quite a while, the ONLY black judge in the state. He was a Republican and beat two good ol' boy white guys in the Republican Primary. That was a decade ago, and he is still in office.
it will happen. the left will call the GOP copycats.

there is a difference between conservative and libertarian. i like the conservative ideaology when it comes to finance. however the social agenda that has been spewed by the GOP as of late is where i find most of issues. so i do lean libertarian.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #23
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

The republican party is the old democrat party. 90% of all the local politicians in our county are Democrats running as Republicans because they know they wouldnt get elected any other way.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
it will happen. the left will call the GOP copycats.

there is a difference between conservative and libertarian. i like the conservative ideaology when it comes to finance. however the social agenda that has been spewed by the GOP as of late is where i find most of issues. so i do lean libertarian.
That is what I had guessed from reading your posts... easy to spot.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #25
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
JSanders, look at the GOP minority numbers and you will see its not just a perception.
And then there is the truth. You can't paint it with the one brush, and try as hard as the Dems might, there is still the truth.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #26
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
The republican party is the old democrat party. 90% of all the local politicians in our county are Democrats running as Republicans because they know they wouldnt get elected any other way.
same here. The South is filled with old Democrats that vote Republican, but that generation is dying out. Those were the Democrats of the 50, 60's and mid 70's in my perception. As they age they are replaced by more and more new democrats. This is not throughout the whole South but it is enough of the South to make it hard for the Republicans in national elections.

The new southern democrats are often moderate and not liberal democrats and vote that way. My own congressman here is a perfect example, Heath Shuler is a Democrat yet does not always vote with the Democrats. He is a conservative Christian and also a conservative when it comes to the economy yet he is definitely a Democrat. Had a big fundraiser last week with Slick Willie.

JSanders, the truth lies in the numbers. The GOP has to change in order to compete, the numbers of immigrants & college grads are enough to bury them unless they change. That goes for their perception & the actual candidates they bring out in national elections.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

i should also say that i don't care for the isolationist ideology of the libertarians though. it doesn't fit in with the current world. the entire planet became much smaller over the last 30 years. we as a country just can't isolate ourselves this day in age.

also i guess i really hate the party system in place here as i don't fall into any one of them as a whole.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
test54
BlackBerry Master

Another GOP leader calling attention to the party's struggles.

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell issued a blunt warning to Republicans Thursday: Their party must regain lost supporters plus blacks, Hispanics and voters on both coasts xxx8212; or risk becoming a permanent minority party with a limited power base.

xxx8220;Wexxx8217;re all concerned about the fact that the very wealthy and the very poor, the most and least educated, and a majority of minority voters, seem to have more or less stopped paying attention to us,xxx8221; McConnell said in a speech at the Republican National Committeexxx8217;s winter meeting. xxx8220;And we should be concerned that, as a result of all this, the Republican Party seems to be slipping into a position of being more of a regional party than a national one.xxx8221;

xxx8220;The future of campaigns and elections depends, for both parties, on the ability to attract voters from the Hispanic community,xxx8221; McConnell said. xxx8220;This is particularly true for us, since Hispanic growth is even more dramatic in regions where we do best.xxx8221; He said that nearly 80 percent of Hispanic voters oppose abortion, in line with a bedrock GOP position."

He also said that xxx8220;blaming the media isnxxx8217;t a strategy for success,xxx8221; likening it to blaming a referee for losing a game. But he said that the party should push back aggressively when xxx8220;Democrat ideas fall short.xxx8221;

McConnell issues warning to GOP - Manu Raju - Politico.com
Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #29
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
He won because he received more votes!!!!

the question is why did he get them? to truly find out we would have to poll all the voters that voted for him to find out!

We can all speculate as to why he won all we want
I couldn't agree more!!

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Closed Thread