trickyone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default 9700 and Koodo

Please Login to Remove!

Will all 9700's work with Koodo?

my 9700 is unlocked (sim card network disabled)

I tried to setup the phone with Koodo sim card but it wouldn't work.

I am curious would there be some that are not compatible?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: 9700 and Koodo

It should if it was a Rogers device.

Are you on prepaid or monthly? if monthly, do you have the required booster for BlackBerry on your plan? If you're on prepaid, you need to go monthly.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
trickyone

I am with Rogers, on monthly, the only reason I was trying to change was the signal strength at home is a lot stronger with Koodo, the tower is 4k away compared to 12 k for Rogers, it make the phone fairly unusable at home unless I hang upside down on a 50 foot tower
I have two 9700's both are unlocked, one doesnt work properly but did manage to connect with Koodo when the sim card was inserted. The other would not connect with Koodo at all.
I took the phone back to where I purchased it, they checked the sim card on another 9700 and that wouldnt connect either, they tried the sim card in a different make phone and it worked fine. They said some will and some wont work, they were quite willing to change the phone if it had have worked.

I just asked here to see if anyone knew the reason why?

I guess if I want to use it in my home I need a cell booster if they work?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'm confused. Do you want to stick with Rogers or go with Koodo (which uses Telus)?

If you want to use Koodo, I would recommend just buying a device from them. See my posts in this thread for why: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...iers-true.html
Old 10-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
trickyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I'm confused. Do you want to stick with Rogers or go with Koodo (which uses Telus)?

If you want to use Koodo, I would recommend just buying a device from them. See my posts in this thread for why: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...iers-true.html
How are you confused? "I am with Rogers, on monthly, the only reason I was trying to change was the signal strength at home is a lot stronger with Koodo, the tower is 4k away compared to 12 k for Rogers, it make the phone fairly unusable at home on Rogers.

WHy would I want to buy another phone.. they're not cheap.... the 9700 I have works good, but with poor cell reception at home on Rogers, I thought I would try Kodoo.

Rogers gave me unlimited Canada wide to keep me last time I complained.... what use is Canada wide if the signal strength is unusable (with Rogers) at home.

Your link did provide me with some info on the subject thanks

Last edited by trickyone; 10-18-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Only providing information learned and not trying to answer for dc/dc

Blackberry's are unique. They require a special data plan for ALL functions to work properly. Included in this "Blackberry data plan" are things called "service books" which are(for lack of better term) software modules pushed out to the device from the carrier. On top of that, if the carrier of choice doesn't support the model Blackberry you are wanting to use, then they will not have or provide the proper service books for that model. Therefore some of the blackberry functions may or may not work.

Also, phone radios are designed for particular carriers. Different bands and frequencies. So a device designed for one carrier may or may not work with another.

That is why it often suggested to opt for a supported phone from the carrier of choice .