BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
BGPKR

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular
Default 8530 Problem, My Contacts are gone...

Please Login to Remove!

I received a call yesterday, in which I recognized the number and it was actually in my contacts. But the name or pic did not display on the screen. Neither did the custom ring tone work for this number. So, while in the call, I backed out to check my contacts list. Yep it's there. So I figured it was a fluke and after the call ended, I did a battery pull. The device rebooted and I checked my contacts again. They're all gone. WTF!!

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any suggestions other than reloading all my contacts? I called customer service and suggested to reload the contacts or bring it back in for a replacement.

I haven't even had this phone a week yet!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

That is beyond strange. Check and make sure you didn't accidently set a filter in contacts.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
BGPKR

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness
Wirelessly posted (8820)

That is beyond strange. Check and make sure you didn't accidently set a filter in contacts.
No. I didn't.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Are you seeing any other strange goings on?

If your contacts have indeed been cleared, then you have no choice but to (a) re-sync from Outlook or whatever, if you have been sync'ing; (b) restore from a backup file; or (c) enter again manually.

I'd sure like to know what happened though.

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-21-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
BGPKR

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Are you seeing any other strange goings on?

If your contacts have indeed been cleared, then you have no choice but to (a) re-sync from Outlook or whatever, if you have been sync'ing; (b) restore from a backup file; or (c) enter again manually.

I'd sure like to know what happened though.
I would like to know as well. These contacts were just transferred over from my old curve. I don't use outlook so I don't know what the problem is.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Do you still have the contacts in digital form, either on the old curve, or in a backup file on the computer?

I doubt a device fault caused it, but I don't know what else could have caused the loss; and especially given the fact that only contacts were lost and not all data.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
BGPKR

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Do you still have the contacts in digital form, either on the old curve, or in a backup file on the computer?

I doubt a device fault caused it, but I don't know what else could have caused the loss; and especially given the fact that only contacts were lost and not all data.
Yeah they're still on my 8330. Plus I have a back up on my desktop. My carrier is insisting on giving me a new phone.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Just for clarity, are the backups from your old or your new device? You may have to re-import them from your 8330 backup, and do a backup from your new device with the updated data.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
BGPKR

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift
Just for clarity, are the backups from your old or your new device? You may have to re-import them from your 8330 backup, and do a backup from your new device with the updated data.
They are from my 8330. But I was looking around in the desktop manager today and there is a function to transfer from one device to another. Wouldn't that work?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

That's a dilemma. I appreciate the temptation to exchange the device.

Are you using any non-standard application(s) that have the capabilty to add to contacts or modify contacts in any way? Anything that has the potential to corrupt the address book database?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

You may just want to do a selective (advanced) restore of just the address book using the latest backup file. If you use the switch device wizard you probably will overwite all the other databases with old data.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
BGPKR

They had to replace my phone yesterday. They attempted to add my contacts back and it would not take the data.

So far so good, with the exception that as soon as I add a pic to a contact, it's gone shortly after...WTF
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Ahhh, interesting. Thanks for the update.

That is weird that you didn't see an error message or some other odd behavior going on.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
D-Rod

Model: 85300
Carrier: Sprint
Default Hello, having the same problems

My wife and I both got 8530s from Sprint. She's been having issues with the contact pics disappearing and the address info being combined into 1 continous entry.

I just received several texts and noticed the contact names weren't showing up. All contacts were still there...tried test texts and only contacts that began with B's showed up. Did a battery pull and all contacts are gone. When going thru old calls in my call log, pressing call brings up all contact numbers for that person...not sure what is going on.

Has the replacement had any issues? Just wierd that both my wife and I are having issues. Maybe an OS issue?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
BGPKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
My wife and I both got 8530s from Sprint. She's been having issues with the contact pics disappearing and the address info being combined into 1 continous entry.

I just received several texts and noticed the contact names weren't showing up. All contacts were still there...tried test texts and only contacts that began with B's showed up. Did a battery pull and all contacts are gone. When going thru old calls in my call log, pressing call brings up all contact numbers for that person...not sure what is going on.

Has the replacement had any issues? Just wierd that both my wife and I are having issues. Maybe an OS issue?
The contacts problem was somewhat resolved with the replacement but i'm on phone #3 as of now...

I also have and issue with the camera. There are isolated occasions when taking a picture where the phone will completely shut off. Pressing any keys does not turn the phone back one. I have to pull the battery.

On the second phone I had downloaded a contacts backup app which jumbled the entire address onto one line. I still have issues such as text chats being duplicated in the message folder as well as random messages only showing up as a "thin line" between other messages. The only way you can see this is if you're scrolling down through the messages and the line turns blue.

Recently I was on the phone win RIM for over 4 hours to try to get these issues resolved. Which led to a wipe and reinstall the OS. So far I haven't had any more issues with the exception of the message showing as a thin line...

Last edited by BGPKR; 01-08-2010 at 08:52 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Diane Ellappen

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodacom

i had that same problem of my contacts disappearing, when i right clicked and said unhide it sorted the problem out
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
notqytryt

Carrier: sprint
Default contact list also gone

Ive run into the same problem today.. My contacts just dissappeared. the icon is there (not hidden) just all my contacts are missing. this 8530 is really a quirky phone (latest firmware) Ive had this phone for only a couple days and have had to pull the battery at least 2x a day. for lockups... now this... fortunely I did back this phone up... but I NEVER had issues like this with the 8330.

Last edited by notqytryt; 03-11-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by notqytryt
Ive run into the same problem today.. My contacts just dissappeared. the icon is there (not hidden) just all my contacts are missing. this 8530 is really a quirky phone (latest firmware) Ive had this phone for only a couple days and have had to pull the battery at least 2x a day. for lockups... now this... fortunely I did back this phone up... but I NEVER had issues like this with the 8330.
If you haven't done anything yet, open options > status > menu > database sizes. What do you see for address book. The first number is entries, and then size in kb.

Just curious if it is 0/0.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
twes

This is like the same exact situation as I am having.

I went in and got a new 8530, and switched my contacts over to it.

Everything was going fine, and then suddenly I get a text from a number with no name with it. I go into my contacts to find that everything is disappeared. It looks like there are still spots for the contacts but no numbers or names in them.

The 8530 is so weird...
Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Pogue_Mahone

Carrier: Sprint
Default I had the same problem

I had the same issue, all my contacts disappeared, and I couldn't restore them from the back-up file. I just switched over from my 8330 to my 8530 yesterday. As it turns out in the process of setting it up, I added a Gmail account and it asked if I wanted to sync contacts. Sure, why not? I had no contacts in that Gmail. I finally went in and checked the sync to off, then was able to restore my contacts. Hope this helps someone.
Closed Thread