Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
DARBON

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Multiple problems.

Please Login to Remove!

I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8520 yesterday and today i rang up Orange to see why infact i wasn't able to connect to the internet, he told me something about £5 a month and i'm not sure what he was saying as he was foreign. But i'm guessing it was something to do with BlackBerry Internet Service or the BlackBerry Data Plan? I got two messages through after i said yes to his offer, one saying settings have been updated blah blah blah please restard your phone, the other one saying BlackBerry - Registration. I'm guessing i've been registered for BlackBerry but now i need to buy everything else?

Where my signal bar is, before it was 'gprs' now it is 'GPRS'. I believe this means i now have full connection to BlackBerry and can use all the applications etc that come with it? But the thing is, i can't. I can't even use the internet yet, on the general options of the browser there's only hotspot browser, there is no other option. Apparently there should be Orange UK or something along the lines.

If anybody has anything to say that could possibly help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;

--Alex.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

No, you don't need to "buy everything else". You have a BB data plan, and are registered on the blackberry network.

Have you pulled the battery out?
Have you resgistered your BB on the BIS site for Orange? or via the Personal Email setup icon on the phone?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
DARBON

Oh okay. Pulling the battery out, is that a requirement? I've turned my phone off and back on a couple of times because of the text messages that tell you too.

No, i tried though and it says i have to register with my wireless network service or something along those lines. And i still have no email setup icon on my phone, if i do it via my setup wizard it only says something about an enterprise server.

Thanks for your fast reply, it's appreciated.

--Alex.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No, turning the phone on and off does not restart it.
A battery pull is what a restart is.

It should have that option once the BB is restarted.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
DARBON

I see, i just did a battery pull and there's still no sign of a personal e-mail setup. Anything else i can do?

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Although all the signs point to correct setup of the BB data plan, UK networks (it seems have this problem more than any other country) sometimes fail to correctly set it up.

Also note, it may not be called Personal Email Setup. It may be Email Setup, Emails settings or something similar.
You can google Orange UK BIS and usually the first link will send you to the BIS site where you can create an account.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
DARBON

Yeah i've read alot of threads and quite alot of those people seem to be British.

I've double checked through all of the menu buttons, and unfortunately for me i still can't see it! Yes i've been on that, and tried to register but it says i'm not registered with the wireless service provider? I followed the instructions, multiple times and nothing different has happened it's still coming up whenever i retry it.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Hmm ok.
Usually there is a Setup folder, where you'd find all setup option icons.

Can you go to Options (wrench icon) - Advanced - Host Routing Table.
Does it have any entries?
If so, click menu - register now
and see if that helps.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
DARBON

Sorry yes, there is a setup folder. But it contains Setup Wizard, Setup Wi-Fi, Setup Bluetooth, and Orange Plus.

Yes, i can confirm that there are 10+ entries all being GPRS UK; apart from one which is Wi-Fi. One of the GPRS UK's are in bold, so i did menu - register now. Re-tried it but still nothing! Pretty amazing phone but a pain in the butt to setup lol!

EDIT: I also get messages from BlackBerry confirming my registration.

Last edited by DARBON; 06-06-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Hmm getting messages back should suggest the data plan is up and running.
Id call Orange tomorrow, try and ask for technical support (if there isnt a press a number option when you call) and get them to double check its been setup correctly.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
DARBON

Okay, thanks alot for your help.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No probs.
Keep us informed

Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
bagio007
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 256b6370
Carrier: T-mobile Croatia

Greetings,

Had a similar problem when I bought my BB8520, for 2 days it got me frustrated, the third day everything sorta worked properly and no major problems with it since.

Maybe you should just w8 for them to "plug you in" in some way.

Regards, Ivan Mijic
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
DARBON

Hi again MidnightDraven, also hello bagio007.

So i took your advice, i rang up Orange this morning and told them what had happened. That i bought the BB Data Plan and BIS for £5 a month and he straight away told me that the wrong thing was activated.

So he quickly re-funded me, re-activated my BlackBerry and told me to do a battery pull. Everything works absolutely fine now! No problems WHATSOEVER.

Moral of the story is: If your BlackBerrys been activated, but it's not working properly. Ring your service provider and ask for re-activation!

Thanks again for your help MidnightDraven, you helped alot.

Also thanks for your feedback bagio007. It's greatly appreciated.

--Alex.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #15
bagio007
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 256b6370
Carrier: T-mobile Croatia

Wirelessly posted (BB8520)

Greetings,

Didn't realy help much but I'm glad it's fine now cus it's a great phone, in Croatia it's not that apriciated so I'm doing my best to promote it : )

Regards, Ivan Mijic
Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #16
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Doesnt surprise me!
Its all about getting the right person on the phone when activating these features. As they aren't part of the normal set of plans, customer services (who are often out of the country) really don't know what they are or how to activate them.
Technical support is usually in country and will have knowledge of the devices, therefore understand what needs to be added to any plan.

Glad its all working! :D

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
DARBON

You replied bagio007, giving me another opinion on my problem.. thus helping me

and you are so right these devices are incredible, if only i knew the secret i would make my own one ;)

Yeah, the first person on the customer support line sounded like someone from an Asian background. But the second person had quite a good accent on him but also sounded foreign, but he seemed to know a considerable amount more than the first guy did as he was going through all the settings etc and describing what had gone wrong. Where-as the first person just literally said "internet, £5 a month, you want it?" lol.

Thanks again guys. It's appreciated, uploading photos to facebook is so incredibly easy now ;)
Closed Thread