BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #21
228.SEAN

Model: 8100

Please Login to Remove!

I understand the media drive mounting business. That's to be expected ... not desired, but expected.

But how come I can't send a simple file to the Pearl via Bluetooth? Is everyone else able to do this?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #22
pdc0417

I also get the "USB CHARGING CURRENT IS NOT SUFFICIENT, blah, blah" message when I plug the Pearl into my G4 Powerbook (with powered USB ports).

Transferring files via Bluetooth is working for me. Before trying to send the file on the Mac, go to the menu on the Pearl, select "Media" and choose the appropriate option (Music, Pictures, etc.). Then click the menu button and you will see an option for "Receive Using Bluetooth". A file transfer window appears and you can then send the file from the Mac.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #23
Digital Dude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: pend.
Cool Yeah, right...

I'll believe that party line “soon” when I see it.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #24
tritone900
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

I just got a 8100 yesterday and have been testing it non-stop. I didn't know about the necessary PocketMac 4.0 upgrade, so I was surprised to find that sync and USB charging did not work quite yet. Also, I was hoping that at least a small (64MB) microSD card came in the box so I could at least test it (no card in box I am able to move files FROM the 8100 to my Mac, but not the other way. This might be because I'm asking my Mac to browse the internal memory of the 8100 and that if I actually have a microSD card installed it would mount (as BG points out) and bluetooth would work both ways.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with the size of the device, the speed of the browser (faster than my previous 7130, and 8700 on both Cingular and T-Mobile), and the camera. You can tell that some software tweaks are going to be needed - there are a few places where the device is slow - but I think it is a pretty sweet device.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #25
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc0417
I also get the "USB CHARGING CURRENT IS NOT SUFFICIENT, blah, blah" message when I plug the Pearl into my G4 Powerbook (with powered USB ports).

Transferring files via Bluetooth is working for me. Before trying to send the file on the Mac, go to the menu on the Pearl, select "Media" and choose the appropriate option (Music, Pictures, etc.). Then click the menu button and you will see an option for "Receive Using Bluetooth". A file transfer window appears and you can then send the file from the Mac.

Good luck.
Worked great! Thanks for that tip.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #26
chartno3

Carrier: T-Mobile

Hey all.. has anyone figured out how to transfer vcf files over to the Pearl? Pocketmac doesn't yet sync with the address book and if I try to manually send each vcf file through Bluetooth, it says that the device doesn't have the right services. I don't have access to a PC and am on a G4 Powerbook.

Anyone figure out a way so I don't have to input each one at a time?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #27
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

i can answer that because i've experienced the same thing. however, i'm not sure what a vcf file is. I have transfered mp3's, pics, and trying video clips now via bluetooth. in order to get the mac to sync with the 8100 you have to go to media, then select what you want to receive, either pictures, video, music or ring tone. press the menu key and select "receive using bluetooth". it preps the phone to receive from the mac. then on your mac open the bluetooth file transfer and select the file you want to send and then hit ok. it should work then.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #28
chartno3

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlamar
i can answer that because i've experienced the same thing. however, i'm not sure what a vcf file is. I have transfered mp3's, pics, and trying video clips now via bluetooth. in order to get the mac to sync with the 8100 you have to go to media, then select what you want to receive, either pictures, video, music or ring tone. press the menu key and select "receive using bluetooth". it preps the phone to receive from the mac. then on your mac open the bluetooth file transfer and select the file you want to send and then hit ok. it should work then.
vcf is a contact file. in other words, i'm trying to get my contacts from the Mac address book over to my blackberry.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #29
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartno3
vcf is a contact file. in other words, i'm trying to get my contacts from the Mac address book over to my blackberry.
I've heard the latest Desktop Manager for the PC does a good job migrating from one BB to another. Im going to try it later from my 7130 -> 8100
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #30
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

oh. i'm sorry for the misunderstanding. OK... So the only I know how to get it to the phone is to do the same thing I said previously and instead of sending a pic, or any type of media, send the vcard it will send. There is a huge problem after you send it. The 8100 puts the vcard in a home/tmp folder, you may select which folder you would like to save it under, but you may only save it under pictures or music. I know its a huge drawback, but there has to be another way I will try more ways to get the mac and the 8100 to connect.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #31
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another way is just sycing the 8100 up to pocketmac via usb
Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #32
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Another way is just sycing the 8100 up to pocketmac via usb
That does not work. Period.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 AM   #33
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

we have to wait until pocketmac comes out with a version that works with the 8100
Old 09-14-2006, 01:29 AM   #34
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wink Sorry to say, 8100 going back to Tmob.

I knew it was a good idea of mine to not buy the pearl via an upgrade 2 year contact. I Had a sidekick 2 (my back up phone. Mainly I've got sprint and a treo 650 no longer under contract).

Since old Pocketmac doesn't work. And new pocket mac 4.0 is still vapor, I'm taking back the pearl, (after I have played with her a bit more, I really dig this phone.) Full refund.

Then its wait till PM actually release something that works. I'm not ready to buy an intel mac. Not today at least. Maybe by then Sprint will get off their dead asses and at least bring the 8700 to cdma. That evdo rocks! I tested it on the 7130e and it seemed pretty fast to me.

I gotta say, the pearl is nice. I know that BG said it's his least favorite, but he and most of you all have had many BB's. This was my first.

So your standards from a BB view point are higher than mine. I was digging this phone till the PM problem. I searched all the pocketmac threads I could find. Found some confusing conflicting info. Best that I can tell it's not working well and definitely not working with the Pearl. I tried myself using what tips I could find, (reset sync services etc...) and no luck. My G5 mac could not even mount the phone via usb.

I'm always impressed when people respond with constructive help or if they are "search Nazis" when they at least post a link to a previous posting or suggest the proper search terms. That's always helpful, too.

Anyhow, I've read a lot. Guess I'll just have to wait till PM 4.0 is out and competent.

The sure type does take some getting used to. But if I could sync I be more than happy to practice so that I had the speed necessary to rock this thing. Coming from the treo 650 I actually liked the track button.

Camera is okay. I like having a camera on my phone, (my old treo 650 came in more than handy at a recent car accident to document the damage, etc.) Also since I don't work for the Gov I got no problems having a camera.

The email push. Wow, now I know what I've been missing. It worked great right away after reg'ing it. Very impressive. The voice memo function and being able to email it, also amazing.

I really really am impressed with the whole bb user interface experience. Really superior. Shame that its not more mac friendly.

Well, I'll go back to lurking and posting and generally being ignored. No worries, I've been married for 18yrs, so I'm used to it.

That last one was a joke, It's only been 16 years.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #35
brianlamar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not syncing to the mac really hasn't been a problem for me. Probably because i never relied on using it because most phones don't work on macs anyway. I would speculate that pm will come out with a version for the 8100 very soon. What really works well is using the phone as a bluetooth modem for the mac.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #36
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Not syncing to the mac really hasn't been a problem for me. Probably because i never relied on using it because most phones don't work on macs anyway. I would speculate that pm will come out with a version for the 8100 very soon. What really works well is using the phone as a bluetooth modem for the mac.
They have recently been saying "Very soon" often. Lets hope this means next week. However, I think we are due for at least another 3-4.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #37
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
The voice memo function and being able to email it, also amazing.
I've only seen the option to MMS a voice note. Are you able to send it to an email address as an attachment?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #38
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

You might be right. My bad. I know that it showed up on my phone under mms. then I clicked on full menu and email was an option. I selected that and assumed that it sent it to my macmail.

Problem was that I deleted from phone. It might have delete on both handheld and desktop, (my Mac mail app.)

I just created another note and sent it via email address that I imputed. I'll post if it shows up in my Mac mail.

hope that helps.

Best,

c
Old 09-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #39
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

yep! It worked. Cool. I emailed it to my mac mail. Downloaded to my desktop and it plays as a wav.

Give it a try. if you run into problems pm me. I'll try to help.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #40
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5
yep! It worked. Cool. I emailed it to my mac mail. Downloaded to my desktop and it plays as a wav.

Give it a try. if you run into problems pm me. I'll try to help.
Cool, it works. Actually its sending as a MMS not an email with an attachment.
Closed Thread