Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
lovesthebb3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30F4B6DF
Carrier: Sprint
Default Exclamation Marks

Please Login to Remove!

When i try to go into certain applications or folders I get this exclamation mark error and can't get into them.

I can't get into my "Options" in my device to even see if I can figure out a problem.

Has anyone ever seen this before or know what I should do?

This is on an Blackberry Curve 8310 with OS version 4.5.0.182

Last edited by lovesthebb3; 11-09-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

What apps?
What folders?
What carrier?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
lovesthebb3

This is an AT&T phone with an AT&T Carrier

I get the same exclamation mark when I click on certain folders and icons, which gives me one option to click "Ok" when I try to access the following folders and Icons.

-Settings Folder that contains my Options Icon (So I can't get to it)
-Applications Folder
-Blackberry Setup Folder
-Documents to Go briefcase Icon
-AT&T Mail Icon
-AT&T music Icon

I don't care much about the last two but I just wanted to be specific to solve this problem

I just tried downgrading my OS from 4.5.0.182 to 4.5.0.110, but had the same problem so I upgraded back to 4.5.0.182, which I believe is the most current version.

I am also using Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0
Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
lovesthebb3

After trying a few things to fix my problem I have gotten to a point where all of my icons are not showing and the only way to use my basic features (ie phone, email, address book, browser) is by using my quick buttons on the left and right side of my BB and using the "switch application" feature in the menu when I use my BB button.
This is still very limiting. It only allows me to use a very few select basic applications.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
lovesthebb3

SOLVED!!!!! So I fixed my exclamation point and missing icon problem(s). It was actually much simpler that I thought it would be. If you already have previous backups that you can use, doing a simple restore will fix this problem. My problem is that I didn't have any healthy restore points.
First I created a full backup, which included these errors somewhere. Mine was about 6K MB for the full backup but that varies.
Second, I wiped my blackberry. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but I just unplugged it during an OS install and let it be inoperable for a while and then I re-installed the OS and it was cleared out.
Finally I did a CUSTOM restore using Desktop Manager 6.0 and only chose the major things like Address Book entries, Calendar and Email/SMS/MMS entries but left everything else out and it was good as new.

This is probably a good technique to use if you haven't done a backup in a while and you really don't want to lose any of your address book entries since your last backup.

Hope this helps someone else down the line but I'm sure there aren't too many people still using the 8300 Curves.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
maass

Model: 8530
Carrier: Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebb3 View Post
SOLVED!!!!! So I fixed my exclamation point and missing icon problem(s). It was actually much simpler that I thought it would be. If you already have previous backups that you can use, doing a simple restore will fix this problem. My problem is that I didn't have any healthy restore points.
First I created a full backup, which included these errors somewhere. Mine was about 6K MB for the full backup but that varies.
Second, I wiped my blackberry. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but I just unplugged it during an OS install and let it be inoperable for a while and then I re-installed the OS and it was cleared out.
Finally I did a CUSTOM restore using Desktop Manager 6.0 and only chose the major things like Address Book entries, Calendar and Email/SMS/MMS entries but left everything else out and it was good as new.

This is probably a good technique to use if you haven't done a backup in a while and you really don't want to lose any of your address book entries since your last backup.

Hope this helps someone else down the line but I'm sure there aren't too many people still using the 8300 Curves.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
maass

Model: 8530
Carrier: Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by maass View Post
Your post does help. I'm a happy user of the 8330. Was glad to get one of the last available while the Curve was being replaced by a touch screen. I read these posts for general BlackBerry reference and knowledge. Your post contributes.
J. Maass, Texas
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Utseya009

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Building
Default Re: Exclamation Marks

hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks....
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

FYI to those searching and landing here later, DO NOT unplug the blackberry during an OS reinstall or upgrade in order to wipe it. If you come to the conclusion you need to wipe the device, use JL_CMDER. See BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

As aiharkness stated, bad idea. they build buildings with blackberrys that were bricked.
Closed Thread