BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
deltron

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BRAND New Pearl -- Already Messed Up [NEED HELP BAD!!]

Please Login to Remove!

I just signed a new contract with T-Mobile; and I got a new Blackberry pearl. I synced it, put some pictrues on it, set up my e-mail etc.
Then the hourglass just started coming up randomly.. a lot. So I pulled out the battery, god knows why.

After that I put the battery back in and it's just a white screen with an hourglass.. just chillin.. constantly. It won't even load the OS.

What can I do?! Please help me..
Old 05-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
VVoopie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: 2406406B
Carrier: Cingular

Do a search in this forum for JL_Cmder and use that to wipe your device. Once you do that, load your OS back on and set everything back up. That should fix your problem.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
deltron

So does these steps work?

1. Download and install Desktop Manager 4.2 from here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 (Be sure that the BB is not connected during install.)

2. Download and install to your PC, the latest OS for your device from here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...ry-device.html

3. Delete the file "vendor.xml" located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

4. On your PC, install JL_CMDER, located here: (http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...der-v1.8.3.zip) Connect the device and use iJL_CMDER to wipe the device. Be sure that Desktop Manager isn't running when using JL_CMDER. When finished your device should display a 507 error.

5. Open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. The Desktop Manager should then detect the device and load the new OS.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltron View Post
So do these steps work?
1. Download and install Desktop Manager 4.2 from here:
[...]
5. Open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. The Desktop Manager should then detect the device and load the new OS.
This is a great post summarising the steps necessary to bring a half dead BB back to life - probably the best I have seen as it brings together information that is spread across a number of threads here so nicely and in a compact form.

Two things though:

1) The links you provide don't seem to work for me. Maybe you can re-post.

2) This is for the OP: If the BB is close to brand new I would make sure that any new firmware I load is actally from the provider you use. Just in case you cannot get it back to life there will not be any arguments over possibly voiding the warranty by using non-approved firmware (or whatever other excuse one could come up with). But I am confident that the above 5 steps will get your pearl back.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
deltron

I am at step 5. It doesn't detect the device nor load the new OS
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

return for replacement.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
deltron

Nevermind, went through the steps STEP BY STEP again.
Currently installing software, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I am at step 5. It doesn't detect the device nor load the new OS
check the device manager to see if it actually detects that your BB is connected via USB (also check under the system devices to see if you have BlackBerry as a USB device, or if the driver is mucked up). if the computer detects the device over USB, then you can manually run the application loader to load the OS etc onto it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
deltron

Okay, all is installed... should the hourglass with the white background be taking so long after installation was complete?

EDIT: Well, back to same problem... I'm surprised this didn't solve anything.

Last edited by deltron; 05-16-2007 at 09:32 PM..
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #10
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Okay, all is installed... should the hourglass with the white background be taking so long after installation was complete?

EDIT: Well, back to same problem... I'm surprised this didn't solve anything.
I have had the hourglass take as long as 15 minutes to finally get to the home page, so be patient.

By the way, on installing an OS, make sure that you install the latest T-MO OS ONLY!!! What the other Member said about the warranty issue is correct. T-MO may not cover the phone if you installed an OS other than that on T-Mo's site. Some CSR will make an issue of it, some won't. So why gamble that you won't get a CSR who cares what OS you installed. Simply stick to the rules [T-Mo's] and you won't have a problem getting a new phone, if that is the fix for the problem you are having.

One tip on the install, are you sure you are completely wiping all traces of the old OS before installing the new OS. And are you retoring your files after the reinstall? If you are, you could be installing the problem file, so that is why it is still acting up.

And as far as installing the OS, don't sweat it. If you call tech support, they always walk you through installing the OS before they toss in the towel and authorize a replacement [assuming it sounds like an OS problem]. In other words, installing the OS is not that radical a step as far as T-Mo is concerned.

Lastly, call T-Mo, it has been awhile since I have posted this, but T-Mo customer service and tech support is FANTASTIC. They are known for spending three hours on the phone with you until they solve your problem.

T-Mo's customer service and tech support are the reasons why I will never go to another carrier. I won't switch even to pay lower rates [albeit T-Mo's rates, such as their $20 unlimited data plan, is the best deal out there anyway].

So use your land line and give tech support a call. In fact, I think tech support is 24 hours, so give em a call.

Oh, and don't feel bad. THOUSANDS if members on here have screwed up their Pearls. Sheet happens. It's no big deal.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-17-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
So does these steps work?

1. Download and install Desktop Manager 4.2 from here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 (Be sure that the BB is not connected during install.)

2. Download and install to your PC, the latest OS for your device from here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...ry-device.html

3. Delete the file "vendor.xml" located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

4. On your PC, install JL_CMDER, located here: (http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...der-v1.8.3.zip) Connect the device and use iJL_CMDER to wipe the device. Be sure that Desktop Manager isn't running when using JL_CMDER. When finished your device should display a 507 error.

Those sound like my instructions. What I didn't mention in this particular post is that it can take up to 20 minutes for the phone to boot after an OS install. It will say "waiting for initialization" and will have the spinning hourglass. If you've waited 30 minutes and it's still spinning then use JL_Cmder and wipe it again and reload it again. Leave it be until it's done-approximately 45 mins to an hour. You'll be fine.
Closed Thread